Rear Gears for 1950 3600 3/4 ton

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by destryrideagain, Aug 27, 2010.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The Right Attitude

Is what you're showing here ! :D I always find the best stuff surrounded by mouse holes (hanta v*rus) and black widow spiders (just squish 'em with your thumb) , hornets & yellow jackets (mean ba$tards ~ be careful !) and just go to it.....

2. MN Jim

MN Jim Member

I did the same thing to my 53 3600 as hardcrab and it has also worked out great for me. The only thing I wanted to add was that I was able to get what they called a "conversion joint" for the rear u-joint on the drive shaft so it bolted the stock drive shaft to the S-10 rear end.Good Luck with your project! Have Fun!

3. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Where did you get the 'Conversion Joint' you mention? Sounds like something a lot of us could maybe use. Oh wait..... never mind, I see it's for a 3600.... Duh.

4. MN Jim

MN Jim Member

I got the conversion joint at our local drive line shop here in town. I took the rear half of my drive shaft in thinking I would have to have a new end welded on but they went over to the shelf and grabbed the u joint and said that this would work fine and is alot cheaper. It was a little more than a regular u joint but alot cheaper than having you drive shaft cut and new end welded on.

5. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

Nate do you know what years that 1 ton G30 van had the 3.73 gears? Im supposing that used the Eaton HO-52?

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I'm Sorry

I don't know the correct axle code .

if you count the bolts and they match m you're almost there ~ now yank the pumpkin out and count the axle splines , if they match and it's the ratio you want (stamped into the edge of the ring gear) , you're golden .

A PIA to be sure but being a poorboy that's how it goes .

7. shooter2

shooter2 Member

Destry

Try Jim Smart Used Trucks in KC, KS 913-321-6609. When I was still working ( retired 6 yrs ago ) They bailed me out several times. You might also check with Inland Truck Parts on troost downtown, but ask for one of the old guys in the shop. You could also try Precision Built Parts they used to be on grand downtown.

Jim

8. ccharr

ccharr Member

Even tho you are not local here try calling the guys at Hoopers and ask Questions about your truck, they just mite have what you need or know where to get it. You can talk to either Tony or Dave.
    I would use them again but would demand they keep my windows up if the truck had to stay over night so the damn cat does not piss in it.

9. pimentel

pimentel Member

Personal good afternoon
    I'm from Brazil and also looking for a way to change the relation back of my pickup but would love to keep the original differential housing.
    Someone found a set of gear and pinion that is compatible with the housing of the differential?
    Thank you.

10. Zig

Zig Member

cool deal!

That's music to my ears! Thanks for posting that. Switching the back end is a bit easier, as well. (I think.)

11. Zig

Zig Member

1st gear~

I'm planning on putting in a 6 lug rear that is almost identical in width. 373. I do have a question about that first gear~ How's it work? Do you start in second, or can you get some distance out of 1st with that ratio?
    Just palnning for the future... :cool:

12. Wolf

Wolf Member

great question Zig!!! I was wondering the same thing.

As I sit right now I can easily start out in 3rd;) So I have hi and low:)

13. hardcrab

hardcrab Member

I only use 1st if I'm on a significant hill or if the motors not warmed up yet. It's pretty flat where we live. You don't go far or fast in 1st gear!!

Otherwise I just start off in 2nd gear, just like with the old original diff. Doesn't feel even close to lugging doing this ('62 235 motor). I doubt that I could easily start in 3rd though.

The only other thing I still need to do in regards to this modification is get a speedo ratio adaptor- The speedometer runs about 20% low with this set up. I've pretty much gotten used to it, but my wife might forget if she's driving.......