rocker arm washer

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by edwin wells, Jul 20, 2014.

1. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Hello!

Being a highly organized and skilled mechanic (in my dreams) I seem to have lost one of the thin washers that go on either side of the oil connector for my 216. Probably somewhere in the rubble of my garage (note to self: you can never take too many pictures, or have too many labeled baggies or coffee cans to store odds and ends when dis-assembling one of these wonderful old trucks).

rocker 004.jpg

Anyway, does anyone have a source for finding odds and ends like this? The local hardware store and FLAPS don't seem to stock such a specific piece, and I am hesitant to pay $100 for an old rocker arm assembly just to get my grubby mitts on one little washer!

Any help appreciated -

Ed

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Rocker Shaft Parts

Ed ;

The entire engine is only worth $200 Max. when complete anr running well so I imagine you can get the part you need cheaper by asking the fine folks on this very forum , one of whom just blew up his old 216 he was planning to junk anyway.....

3. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Thanks Nate. If anyone out there can lend a fellow truck a hand, name your price and I will send you cash and a self addressed stamped envelope!

Ed

4. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Gotcha covered on that.

I guess I am the only one around here that is crazy enough to save stuff like that :D

PM for more info.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

6. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Thanks a bunch DZT! Didn't quite know what I was going to do. I'll PM you!

Ed

7. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Thanks (as always) Nate and Bill. Looks like a great resource going forward! Never knew about the Old Car Manual Project but it sure is a cool website -

What a great forum!

Ed

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

' A Good Forum '

What makes it so good is folks like you who'll be next in line posting " oh , yeah , I did that , here's what you need to do...."

9. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

True Nate; one fine day I hope to add my hours of experience to the sum total of all the other hours of our forum members. Between all the fine folks who post here, there must be hundreds of thousands (or probably millions) of hours of experience, skinned knuckles, ah-ha moments, and fun times driving these old trucks!

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You'll find the very best part is driving an old Chevy pickup truck ~ they're designed to be very easy drivers , adding wide tires , lowering them , big V-8 engines and so on , makes driving them rather tiring to drive long ~ that's why after all the hard work of Hot Rodding they almost always wind up being sold off at a dead loss after a few years .

Lucky me , I grew up working on & with these (and older !) fine Generous Motors Corporation rigs back when they were just old $35 rigs so I have the experience of driving both types and I'll always have the basic mostly stock rig with skinny tires and good suspension , tooling away the miles across America whilst the shiny V-8 junk rusts quietly in someone's garage or used car lot :p .

Personally I find working on them to be fun too but then I'm a die hard GearHead .

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Rocker Shaft Part

OBTW : didja ever get that washer ? .

You have to les us know as I peruse the Junk Yards regularly and I might just find one but it's a nasty messy job to remove off a gooey old lump under the sun .

12. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I have a 216 in the garage that ran like a sewing machine. New gaskets and paint. I can't GIVE it away......anyone need it?

13. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Sure did, a generous fellow forum member stepped up and helped out this trucker. I am sure it is somewhere in the rubble of my garage, but I could spend countless weekends on my knees looking for it! I'd like to get this truck together while I am still vertical and breathing!

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Free 216 !

Keep mentioning this Russ ;

I know it's in N.C. , sooner or later you'll make someone *very* happy with it .

15. rustedtreasures

rustedtreasures Member

Need a rocker shaft washer

I am new to the forum and look forward to our shared experiences with these great old trucks!

I need some help locating the same rocker shaft washer that Ed Wells was chasing down.

I purchased a 1950 Chevy 3100 and it appears to be complete but it needs some attention after being parked in a field for over 25 years.

I pulled the rocker cover to look for stuck valves before I turned it over and found multiple stuck valves, frozen rocker arms and a missing washer.

The engine is currently frozen and I have it soaking in a 50/50 mixture of ATF and marvel mystery oil.

Before I can attempt to turn it over I need to locate the rocker arm shaft washer 839270. Please let me know if anyone has a handle on a washer or (2). I have tried the Chevy dealer and was hoping to buy it for the .03 cents it was listed for in the Master Parts Manual and did not have any luck.

I appreciate the help and have a great day! Randy

16. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride while here. Got any photos by chance?
    Private Message Joe @ DZT on this thread. May have to get an free pass from our Host first, look for the post with Nick and ask him about being able to post private messages and being new to site.

17. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

216 for Free?

I could use it but can't afford the shipping or the drive to go get it. So thanks anyway!!!:D

18. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Come to Charlotte for autofair Sept. 18-21. Pick up other parts you need, get free engine.

19. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

I Wish!

Spent all my left over (medicare sucked out $140) Social Security check on used parts here so I'll have to pass but thanks for the invite!:D

20. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Maybe if I have room when I take the 41 ford to the villages I'll bring it with me.