Shift Box Neutralizer by DV mfg? also Oil or Grease in Steering Gear Box

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by cmkruse, Jan 26, 2014.

1. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

I could use some technical assistance once again. 1949 3100 1/2 ton panel truck. I have been trying to rebuild my shifter box and find something that I don't know is stock or a repair part or whatever. I have two shift boxes - one just has two halves and the main shaft, one spring and arms with bushings. I think this is the original. The second one has additional parts that consist of a center plate and two little side pieces that move with the shift levers. It is sandwiched between the two original box halves. I saw the same parts in an ebay ad and it was called a shift neautralizer. The box listed DV mfg as the maker. I bid on it thinking I needed it to repair my shift box that didn't have these parts. I didn't win the bid.

I have both the assembly manual and shop manual and neither one shows anything about the shift box other than the column location. So long story short. Do I need the DV neutralizer parts to take the slop out of my shift box? What does the neutralizer do? Can I remove those parts?:confused:

Second issue - I've spent $40 on seals to try and stop the leak in my steering gear box. The aftermarket seals suck as they aren't as wide or thick as the originals. I'm tired of taking this thing apart so I'm thinking of converting to the john deere corn head grease that someone recommended in one of the other posts I read. The chevrolet service bulletin warned against using grease as it leaves voids and isn't fluid enough to lube the balls. Is this still valid with the corn head grease or does it work like the fluid?:(

Thanks for any help on this guys (or gals)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I'm using cornhead grease in mine. Only have about 1000 miles on it, but doing OK so far. It is #0 grease. Regular chassis grease is thicker and is rated #2. It is "self leveling" meaning that it will (slowly) puddle out to flat.

I put a tube of it in my hand grease gun and removed the female fitting from the end of the grease gun because it was too big to fit into the filler hole on the steering box. Pumped it until grease started backing up out of the hole. Let it settle for a few hours (in 90 degree heat) and repeated until the steering box would take no more.

3. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Trucks and Tractors I guess!

John, I'll have to give the grease a try. Have to order it as there's no JD dealer close to me.:)

Uploaded a picture of that Nutralizer part that's in one of my boxes.

4. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Corn head grease in steering box.

John Dear recommends using the grease in modern steering boxes on combiners and tractors.I filled the steering Box of my truck With corn head grease aswell and it Works great.

I would love to hear moore about the neurtilizers function in your truck. It looks like it is in a good shape.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  5. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Corn Head Grease

Blueflame236, I think I'll do the same. I found an online store that has it for under $4.00.

On the Neutralizer: I don't know what it does to enhance the shifter. I was hoping someone can help me out with it's function also. I think it might be just some kind of aftermarket improvment made to help worn shifters but I don't know for sure.:confused:

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Steering Box Seal

Go to your local GM Light Truck dealer and order up the new seal for a 1970 Chevy / GMC 1/2 ton pickup with manual steering .

It's under $20 and will fix it .

I posted the GM # some time ago if you search my older posts .

7. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

There is a dealer listed in Okeechobee. Probably spend more in gas than cost and shipping combined.

8. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Craig,
    FWIW I have a couple shifter boxes for my '48 1/2 T truck and neither have the "neutralizer" plates that are shown in your photo.

9. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Update on the Neutralizer and stuff

Nate: I found an original NOS seal/retainer on some website so I ordered it.

RustyDog: I ordered the grease just in case the seal doesn't work

Larry's 48: I have one with and one with out. I was just interested in finding out what the neutralizer does.

Here's some pics from the eBay auction that I missed out on.

Attached Files:

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sweet ! .

That's an aftermarket item to fix the notoriously loose original shift boxes .

Remember when you bang in that new seal : you have to support it 360? by using a bit of pipe or a deep socket etc.

I see so many new seals that pi$$ out oil or grease because someone dented it hitting it 'round & 'round with a hammer or block of wood instead of the mandatory circular driver .

11. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Patent report

I think it might be the neutrializer attachment that you have as the Product was patended in Alabama in 1955 but i am not shore? There is a long story discribtion of the Product and some drawings.

https://www.google.no/#q=D+%26+V+gear+shift+neutralizer+

Martinius.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  12. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

What No Hammers

Nate: Now you tell me...no hammers! What fun is that! Why do you think the first two seals leaked - yep wrong size socket and hammer job!!!!:D

Blueflame: Mystery Solved. Thanks for the info Now I know what it was for and how it was used. Super. I'm going with the original box but it's nice to know what I have.:)

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Shift Box Equalizer

I'm sure the patent has expired , it'd be nice for someone to re produce those .