shifting????

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by texascowboy, Jan 25, 2009.

1. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:D Okay people, got a small ? for ya; first let me say this I just put a new motor in my 83 and everything is going good , except the transmisson seems to be shifting a lot later than before. I did nothing to the tranny at all the only thing I did was take out the 305 and put a rebuilt 327 in the truck. Tranny is a 700 which came in the truck to start with, way would it take so long to shift? And yes I have the lines hooked up just the way they were before. Any help would be grateful!! Thank you!!

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

The TV cable needs to be set up properly. DO IT NOW !!! Nothing will toast a 700 r4 trans faster than the TV cable not operating correctly. It needs to regulate pressure inside the trans and MUST be setup using a pressure guage on the transmission service port. It is probably out of adjustment because of the carb linkage hookup being slightly different.

Take it to a trans shop you trust. ( not that Beep Beep place !! )

Val

3. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

what up val?? how ya doing? okay what is tv cable?you got me lost on this one. are you talking about the passing gear cable? if so this tranny does not have one. Also I have check all vaccums lines and all are good.
    Now what?

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

5. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:D Thanks for the info. Val, but I dont think my tranny has that. Wait, let me finish... I had to get under the truck yesterday to do some minor adjustments and the only thing besides tranny lines on my tranny is the speed cable and on the passanger side there is the vaccum line that goes to the intake. NO tv cable so I'm guessing that some where along the line the guy that had the truck first could of swiched the tranny. From what I can see it looks like an older model 350tranny, gonna try to find the #'s and run them. I'll let ya know what happens.Thank You again for the help!!!!

6. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Okay got the tranny checked out and everything seems to be in working order. I did find out that I've got a turbo400 tranny, so my next ?? is this how good is this tranny? I have heard some complain about them and others praise them, what do you think? Also was told it needed more vaccum and to do this I needed to either drill out the end of the steel line or cut it basck to make hole bigger so hense the more vaccum, yea or nay on this??

By the way thanks again!!!! :)

7. David Hall

David Hall Member

8. texascowboy

texascowboy Member