Skeeter's 50. Questions and Build

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by SkeeterBilt, Aug 10, 2012.

1. ccharr

ccharr Member

Your Truck is really looking good Skeeter, lights are a good addition to it. Thanks for the photos.

2. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

thanks. took me months of lookin on ebay to find one that wasnt 80+ bucks.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Stop Lights

Wow ~

$80 ?! I have a couple of those I bought in Bakersfield , Ca. , some kids were cleaning out the barn and had them with other cool stuff in an old wood/metal milk crate , I bought it all for $5 and was well pleased .

Those big stop lamps light up best when you remove the internal reflector and paint is gloss white ~ this causes the bulb's light to fully illuminate the glass lens

You can also paint the letters black so they really stand out .

12 volts use # 1156 or 631 bulb , the 631 bulb is softer and makes it look more Vintage when it lights up .

4. peabo

peabo Member

Pictures

These are wicked pictures.

Jeff

5. peabo

peabo Member

great pick!

Love all the pictures, this one stands out!

I have a 50 without a bumper. Passed provincial inspection too. I told them "its a old farm truck, didn't have one when it came off the line".

Jeff

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  6. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

well the '50 made its maiden voyage to the gas station. speedo doesnt work so i used my speedometer app on my phone and i was cruising at 50mph. speed limit was 65 so i was doin ok. only went about 7 miles round trip but learned some stuff. need door latches. hit a bump and the driver side door opened.
    [​IMG]

thanks jeff. i just got a rear bumper last weekend for 20 bucks. just need to make brackets. luckly in AZ we dont have state inspection, but rear bumpers didnt come standard on these ol work trucks

7. peabo

peabo Member

I think it looks better without the rear bumper. :cool:

Jeff

8. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

if the truck is a lot lower i wouldnt rock a rear bumper but there is a huge ugly gap back there and you can see the huge rear and frame rails.

9. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Congrats on the Maiden Voyage! That's pretty special. Your truck looks pretty nice.
    I can't get my doors to stay latched unless I also lock them when closed... I don't know what your budget is, but I ordered new latches from Ol' Chebby, (Russ Petty). They are Altman Latches. Upgrade to modern style latches and I expect them to be much safer. I did, however, make a 640 mile trip with the current new (from Classic Parts) door latches with only one unplanned door opening. Will install the Altman latches after Christmas.

10. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

i was just doin research on this, se our host has well priced latches (hlaf the price of bobs chevys) but also read russ's write up on the altman latches. how much do they run? i also need to fix the sloppy-ness in my steering. lil lose

11. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Bill:
    Can I watch?
    - Bill

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Safety warning !

I do hope you're all using seat belts here ! .

I never had any door latch troubles until one fine day driving home from work , I turned left and the passenger side door popped open and everything in the cab except -me- flew out and landed in the intersection ~ my sweet Lady often rode in that same truck and if she'd been in there when that door opened , my life would have ended .

As much as I like stock and original , I highly suggest Russ' up graded latches .

13. Zig

Zig Member

GREAT photo, Skeeter! Man that looks classic!

14. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

AD Door latches

I used to have trouble with my door latches. I ran into an old article on the web regarding latches on our trucks (-my latches are the later push button type).

I read where I needed to quit messing with the latch adjustment and replace the worn strikers.

This worked, even with the non original replacements from our sponsor. I have since acquired some new original door latch strikers, my doors click shut and they don't fly open around corners anymore.

Jim

15. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

An endorsement from Nate? Wow. Thanks, man.

16. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

thanks for all the complements buds.
    i have to tinker with the doors. need to drive it into town to work so i can replace the glass. im afraid soon ill be the go to guy for glass install. just did a 70s GM and ford and boy is it hard. and by "did" i mean i helped my boss and watched him and learned

17. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Skeeter, the latches are $320 from Russ, delivered. At least where I am. Check with him for exact quote.

Bill Hanlon, You can watch, and even help if you wanna'. Bring your runnin' mate Ken along and I'll buy lunch :) I've got to get the latches done, and the rear main replaced pretty quick, as it looks like I'll be getting a new knee soon :( That will make the work go a lot slower, I'll bet.

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

As I Said :

SAFETY KNOWS NO SEASON ! .

I keep thinking about my beloved flying out the door .

Not a good thing .

I too hunted up some N..S. strikers , prolly from Joe , they helped and N.O.S. latches from Joe made sure I never had any further issues but then , I never ride passengers anyways and folks tend to like to lean out the windows , not a good mix with rapid Motorvation and 55 year old latches be they new or used .

I didn't realize I never give endorsements , sorry guys .

-Nate

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Skeeter's Rig

You may or may not know I LOVE " Necessories " (another Natorisim) , especially things that light up ~ the other day I was doing my P.T. in my favorite Pick-A-Part Junkyard and happened across a killer cool 1950's hand held safety / work lamp /spotlight with red lens on one side ~ I'll post up pix as soon as I can find my cable .

As usual , my buddy who runs the yard looked at it and said " you want to BUY that junk ?! " .

I really like your fog light and would like to see the stop lamp illuminated .

20. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Nah, just impressed that you endorsed non stock stuff!