Speedo question ?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ronaldg, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

My speedo needle starts
    quite a bit below the zero mark,probably about 10 miles per hour and was wondering if there is a way to adjust it. if so i think that the speed would be correct because it is about 10 miles off although i did change the rearend from 4-11 to 3-55

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Speedo Error Correction

WARNING : FARM / DEALER FIX .

Take the truck out for a drive with the Garmin or your cell 'phone set to GPS function and do several veolocity checksat 30 , 45 , 55 and 75 MPH as it may well read close or correct at some speeds but off at other speeds .

If it's the same amount off spec. at all speeds , you can carefully take the speedo apart and hold the magnet part still while you gently twist the needle *just* the number of MPH difference , test drive it again and so on .

This really does work and I usually set it as close to 65 PH as possible sd that's where most folks drive on the Highway .

BE GENTLE ! .

Even if you break it , the Speedo Shop can fix and calibrate it for under $200 if they're honest .

The Right Speedo Shop will say " oh yeah no worries , it'll co$t $XXX.XX " ~ if they give you any crap about " oh that's old " , or " those are hard to do " , RUN AWAY .

This is another one of those DIY jobs that will build your confidence and give you bragging rights few other old truckers can match .

3. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

Speedo

Nate thanks Ill give it a whirl when i feel up to taking the speedo out i do have my garmin what ever its called and the speed us about 10 miles an hour off all the time thanks. by the way my truck has never seen 75 miles an hour 70 tops

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Speed

O.K. , sounds good .

You can hang the speedo sans glass & chrome ring for testing .

Speed in an AD isn't necessary , that's what SWMBO's car and Motocycles are for .

65 +/- is plenty , take some time to relax and enjoy the ride and your life as it goes by the open window .