Speedometer gauge plate for km

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Blueflame236, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Hi

Does anyone knows if its possible to buy a speedometer gauge plate/decal with km numbers on it instead of miles for the 1950 1/2 T truck ? Any information is welcome :) .

Thanks Martinius.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  2. coilover

coilover Member

I would check out an Australia connection. I have seen several AD's from Down Under on different sites and I would think the speedos would have K's.

3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Would it be possible to change the gear in the transmission to spin the 'MPH' speedo faster? If you were to turn the speedo 1.6x faster, you would register KMH, and KM on the odometer. If you were geared stock at 4.11, you would need to find the proper gear for a ~ 6.63/1 rear gear. OK, maybe not so simple. I seem to remember a variable speed "box" which went in-line with the speedo cable that you would adjust to achieve proper readings after a gear change.

Food for thought

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

or speedo shops used to carry geared adapters like this Gear Ratio Adapter to speed your Speedometer up +61% | eBay
    You'll need one rated at +61%.

Problem with this idea is if you had an 80 MPH speedo you'd run off scale at 80 KM/Hr (49 MPH). 100 MPH speedo would run off scale at 100 KM/Hr.

5. coilover

coilover Member

Called Dakota Digital and they can calibrate either digital or analog AD speedos for kilometers. They are a bit pricey but if they can do it so should others in a pocket book friendly range. We work with so many altered trans/rears/ tires cars that we automatically grab a gps for test driving and help in figuring which direction a correction is needed. One customer had us mount a gps speedo in the far wall of the glove box so he can see it with the door opening while driving and close door to hide from sticky fingers.

6. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Thank you guys for all this great information. I have to find out what the ratio is of the speedo- drive in the 4 speed GM transmission ? The reading of your findings have different information that i can use.

Thank you Martinius.

7. Deve

Deve Member

8. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Thanks Deve

This is interesting reading and thank you for the link to that company. I to changed the rear end ratio of the car-dan to 3.55 : 1 . I still have the old fashion small sized diagonal tires but plan to swap them out for radial tires in the future. I did a transmission swap to , from the Saginaw standard 3 speed to a rebuild (Patricks kit ) 4 speed Saginaw 3.11 ratio low speed . Patricks Senior added a gear reducer which i have never tested the way you suggest on the road. But your ( Tip of the week ) is a good one which i will try out.

Thank you Martinius.

Larrys 48 likes this.