starting a rebuild of a 73 step side

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by baad, May 7, 2009.

1. David Hall

David Hall Member

Just take your time and have fun doing it.

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

That very good words:)

3. baad

baad Member

ty u guy 4 the encouragement just stressing on the cost of this project and im not s strong welder most my skill come from bicycles and not 1 u ride the 1s 4 show

Attached Files:

4. David Hall

David Hall Member

Outstanding bikes!

Now I know you have the skills to tackle this.

5. baad

baad Member

yes i do but putting i the floor i don't know i have to make sure it is a strong weld because my better half has no feeling in her feet that why i decided to buy this truck (that lease that's what i told her lol ) but i got it because i love this body style but i didn't look at this much work to get it ready to go back on the street

6. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

If you not to fussy about how the floor looks under the more dents in the replacement as long as there not to deep that will make it stronger.
    I would at least try to copy the floor pan if you’re going to make your on
    the groves in it are to take the noise and to make stronger, with carpet or mats you not see it if you put in sound deeding that will hid it. the floor are not too bad But you have to watch out for too much heat buildup warping the metal the metal is thinner then the bikes. The better you want the look then the longer it will take let it cool down tack it start in the middle welding area's jump side to side no more than 1" welds. Take your time good luck.

7. baad

baad Member

well I'm plain on just buy the new floor panel when i get my rocker panels but the budget only let me get 1 side at a time + got 2 run some gas out of the tank b4 doing the passenger side

8. baad

baad Member

well now that i got my 74 back on the road time to get back to this 1 lol next week will be fun if my Neighborhood will let me most don't care but there are those picky few my new rockers and floor panel will be here Thursday

funny thing is where i found them where i could get them a little bit faster than i thought i could my other half not happy but i got them

i got them thru sear that the funny part

9. baad

baad Member

got my part in to day wish me luck any good hint to make this go smother would be a lot of help

ty andy

10. baad

baad Member

well pulled my fender to get to rocker ezer and found more rust on RADIATOR SUPPORT got me really thinking of finding a new project and truck and sending this 1 2 the smasher when found shipping on new 1 is more that the part and 1 know better place to get 1 none of the junk yards have 1 in any better shape:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

11. mr.bigbock

mr.bigbock Member

Just to help out a bit and give advice.

If you do have the welder(with a bit of experience) and you are on a tight budget, it is so much easier to take some mid grade tin and just cut the section you need out. And then measure it all out and attempt to make a good mold out of it and patch it up in there. Not saying you would use this method, but never use bondo, just because the rest of the metal will rot out and you wont notice it because of the bondo, and then youd just have to go in and redo it all again. For me, im going to be having to replace my wheel well, but best of luck to you.