Steering box

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Larrys 48, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

My steering box was leaking onto my exhaust pipe and smoking. So I hunted up the cover gasket I had ordered a few months ago and decided to dive in and replace it to stop the leak. After taking out the 3 bolts, the cover would rotate but not come off. So I got out my trusty Shop Manual and read up on backing off the lash adjuster. I attempted with a thick fender washer in vice grips, without success. Is there a special tool that fits the wide slot? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. rix 48

rix 48 Member

Lash Adjust

I may be mistaken Larry but mine appears to have a lock nut that needs to be loosened first?

Rick

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

If I remember correctly, you remove the lock nut, remove the 3 bolts attaching the side cover to the housing and then screw the adjustment screw IN (clockwise) thereby backing the outer plate off. Of course this totally messes up the adjustment of the steering box.

4. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

I'm beginning to wish that I had left the leak alone . . . Now I'm just hoping that it leaks less without a gasket than before! The lock washer is on tight and near impossible to get a wrench onto. The corners look like the DPO pounded on with a chisel.

5. Keystoner

Keystoner Member

Larry,

The big nut that looks like the DPO pounded on with a chisel ....
    Is that # 1 in the pic.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0906.htm

If so, the corners are supposed to have a notch. Put your screwdriver in the notch and use a hammer to loosen the lock nut. Now you can turn the big screw.When you're all done tighten the locknut with a screwdriver and hammer. If not tight it will leak.

To remove the side cover, #26, remove locknut, loosen the lash adjuster, #23 a couple of truns, then spin the side cover off the adjuster or turn the adjuster until the cover comes off.
    The lash adjuster with shim does not pull straight out. It slides into a slot into the sector shaft, #21.

Be sure to follow the instructions when making the two adjustments after you put it back together.

6. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Thanks Tom. I guess I got (am) confused. Maybe I don't need to loosen the worm bearing and the #1 locknut to replace the gasket on the side cover? When I removed the nut on the outside of the cover and the 3 bolts holding the cover on the cover would rotate about 270* until it hit the housing and it also appeared that the threaded bolt was rotating with the cover. I'm stumped about how to remove the cover to replace the side cover gasket.

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

8. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Thanks Bill, I'm beginning to get the picture. Since I'm only removing the cover to replace the gasket, do you think I need to be worried about step 4. working on the unit horizontally on a bench to kepp the balls from running out?

9. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can answer your question.

You will need to do the steering gear adjustments after replacing the gasket. I'm not positive the adjustments are the same on your older truck, but the 55.2-59 adjustments can be found starting here: http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/gmc/5559mm/5559mm527.html

10. Keystoner

Keystoner Member

11. Zig

Zig Member

Tom~ well said! That kinda hurt to read that.

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sealing & Gasketing

This is one more place where the new product " The Right Stuff " comes into play and will do a bang up job .

13. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Thanks for bearing with me and all the info you guys. The last thing I need is for my balls to end up on the garage floor!

Since the DPO had filled the the gear box with grease, I "thinned" it out with some Bardall motor treatment, which was thicker than honey at freezing. I had a real smelly, thick, sticky mess when I seperated the cover. I'll try some Right Stuff if I can ever get the blob of lubricant all drained out and the surfaces cleaned up.

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sealing & Lube

No need to drain it all out , just position the box so the sealing edge is facing up and carefully wipe it clean , then scrape off the old gasket , once it's clean & dry , wipe it with a clean rag wetted with ether (starting fluid) or alcohol , allow to dry and use The Right Stuff .

Easy - peasy .

I have some ideas about how to set up (adjust) the bearings inside , mabye Evan will chime in first....

15. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Sealed tight!

Thanks to all for your help. FYI - The side cover comes off without dropping its innards on the garage floor. I flushed the 60 years of whatnot out with ether, smeared a thin coat of form a gasket on both sides of the paper gasket and the steering gear box holds 90w without leaking a drop anywhere. Now I need to break the worm bearing lock nut loose and make the adjustments...