steering

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by jwpa2, Oct 5, 2022.

1. jwpa2

jwpa2 Member

I have 1953 Chevy truck with the old straight axle, Purchased a Manual steering rack that said it would work with these weld on brackets, didn't work so (had to make my own), got all that done put it all together and thought it felt pretty good, went to drive it and wont turn sharp enough to get out of the driveway, do I have the correct rack & pinion MPN-ZGM5EFDE or Interchange # 551-01082, Thank you for any help.

vwnate1 likes this.
  2. coilover

coilover Member

Very poor design which I DO NOT recommend to anyone but here's how to check to see if it will even give correct amount of turn. Remove tie rods from steering arms, turn all the way in either direction on rack and then turn wheel to stop. Lift tie rod up to see how far stud is from hole in steering arm. If more than one inch, chuck it in the scrap bin. Any set up that has a slip joint in the steering shaft is not good. They make a rack called a Unisteer that is frame mounted and uses a cross steer set up like pre-48 Fords that if better than a slip joint but still not good. If you're going to keep manual steering send your box off to Lare's for rebuild and put in new king pins, rod ends, shackles, and spring eye ends and you will have a ride that steers good and doesn't wander.

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Here it is ! rebuilt for 1947 ~ 1952 Chevy trucks : Lares Catalog