Steve's 50 re-re-rebuild

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 50 Chevy LS3, May 9, 2013.

1. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

'57 vintage Chevy 235-6, '67 vintage Chevy 283, (2) '74 vintage 4-bolt main, Chevy 350's.
    I will give you, any of them, John. Catch is, you have to start a new project, and give us weekly progress reports here. I miss the never ending stories of the "Orange Crate".

I will also deliver to your shop, for fuel, and a little lodging...:D

Steve.
    P.S. Actually, I'll give you more than one. How many do you want?

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

You are a Gentlemen and a Scholar, Steve. Nice collection. I'll take a rain check.

I think I'm done "building" vehicles. It's fun and I love it but it's like throwing money down a hole. I've recently returned to a hobby I had as a kid, Model Rocketry.

I designed and built from scratch an X-Wing Fighter... and currently building the next scratch build. It satisfies my "lust" for designing stuff, and once I'm finished building I have less than $100 in the project.

Exploded View.jpg 002.JPG Lifting Rocket Dwg Sheet 1 of 30 Rev 16.jpg 004.JPG 001.JPG Stud and Nut Dwg.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Great hood ornament for my GMC. Probably make it faster too.

50 Chevy LS3 and Lakeroadster like this.
  4. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Probably. If, it was securely mounted and you pushed the "launch" button. Downside is, it would only last a short time, and you would have to re-paint your hood.

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  5. Zig

Zig Member

283?!?
    Drooling...
    That’s exactly what I would replace my 228 with whenever it decides to give up the ghost!

6. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

That is cool. My Brother and I used to build Estes rockets, when we were kids, also. Work, work, work, launch,... wow... Hey, Mike, it went into the clouds... never seen again, many times.
    Hey Zig, when I get to the shop, I will tag that 283, Reserved, for Zig. DO NOT SHIP, hold for pick up. Let's see, that will get you to west-central, Indiana. Half way to New Hampshire.:D

Steve.

Zig and Lakeroadster like this.
  7. 52wasp

52wasp Member

New Hampshire? Wasn't there a guy building a truck from there? Oh yeah, that's right... he's a CARPENTER now.

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  8. Zig

Zig Member

Wow, Steve!!! You really know how to motivate a guy to take a road trip!!!
    How about we plan on somewhere during the summer of 2020?
    That way your truck will be done and Mikes house and barn will be finished. #wink#

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  9. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Hello, again, friends...
    Hard to believe it's been two years, nearly, since a 50 Chevy, progress report.
    Life sure gets away from us.
    Anyway... Just a tiny step forward, this week. I finished and painted the interior of the cab, last fall. Trouble is, I was far from satisfied with my work. Then the fact that I spend much of my life, away from my shop, meant the midwestern painting window closed.
    So, this week I re-finished the dash and rear, visible portion of the cab and here are some pics... 100_6448.JPG
    100_6451.JPG
    100_6454.JPG
    The spots you see in the photos are not flaws in the paint, It might be a combination of some dust, and my worn out old Kodak camera....
    I also painted the heater box, or housing. It came out pretty good the first time. I will probably replace it with one of the modern AC units.
    If I do, I'm gonna just sit it on top of our TV, because I think it just looks old-timey, COOL!
    Ya know.... Art Deco...
    I remember that part of high school art class...
    Its' a wonder... most of the time I was just staring at Miss. Brown....
    Thats another story though....

100_6331.JPG
    :D Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  10. booger

booger Member

Looks really nice. What color red is that? Would Zig approve that?

11. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Thanks. The color is a custom. We tried to perfectly match a single stage Dupont, color from the mid 1980s. For some reason everybody told me it wasn't availiable in modern base/clear. We did match it, in my opinion, exactly, except this modern version is a pearl.
    After comparing our mix formula to what is availiable, via a mix library on the paint database, the closest thing to it in OEM, colors, is a Nissan color called "Sonoma Sunset".
    I would like to know what Zig, thinks...
    I was going through all the parts stored away, yesterday, and found the dash trim/speaker grill. Thought I would go ahead and get an idea what the polished stainless, and chrome would look like next to so much dark red. 100_6457.JPG
    100_6459.JPG
    Also installed the radio delete, plate.

Steve.

12. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve,
    Nice to see some progress! Time DOES get by... I don't think Zig will comment on the color- haven't seen much of him 'round here since he sold his truck (or maybe he is just BUSY).

13. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Looks awesome Steve. The red really compliments the dash trim/speaker grill.

14. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Thanks, guys.
    I'm still in denial that the "Orange Crate", is gone, and Zigs, Jimmy is in new hands....
    That doesn't mean Zig has to stop hounding us for PICTURES!

Steve.

52wasp and Lakeroadster like this.
  15. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Hello again, guys...
    Seems like a thousand years has passed since I posted here. My life and the world has changed dramatically. Fortunately, the old Chevy has been waiting patiently for my attention.
    So, I thought I might start back up on it. I need to bring my focus in to things close, and, I can work for quite a while on it with parts I bought ahead.
    This is a friendly forum, (most are not) and, I like to follow projects.
    It does seem much quieter here than before.
    Steve.

Lakeroadster and vwnate1 like this.
  16. 52wasp

52wasp Member

WELCOME BACK STEVE!

Things have changed. We could all use some good news, and post #275 in your build thread is the best thing I've seen all day!

I am ELATED to see you are "back"!

I recall some years back, when we were neck-and-neck with our progress. Exciting times! Let's do it again. I am finally ready also. No, the house isn't done quite yet, we ran out of weather to do the last of the sitework. And the "supply chain" issue is alive and well too, so there are interior items which aren't complete either. But enough about carpentry!

Just the other day I got a parcel in the mail, for Penny. Been quite some time since I could say that!
    Mike

50 Chevy LS3 and vwnate1 like this.
  17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas .

Anyway it's good to see you're still plugging away Steve , me too .

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  18. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Thanks, Mike and Nate. I'm sure my progress will be slow but, hopefully steady. I think I will start with steering column install, back glass and windshield install and continue with, as Nate used to call it, "coachworks". That is door fitment with nice gaps all around.
    Steve.

Lakeroadster and vwnate1 like this.
  19. e015475

e015475 Member

Pleasantly surprised to see you're posting here again!

My truck has been sitting for almost two years now, but I'm about to light the fuse on the parts cannon so I'm ready for summer weather. In the interest of getting on the road, I'm going to take the Cadillac column and steering wheel out of mine and put in an Ididit column that's easy to wire. Was surprised to see that there was a 8-12 week lead-time for the column and some other major parts.

[​IMG]

I did get a lift installed about this time last year. It should be a god-send to keep my old bones off the cold concrete floor. The only thing I've done this winter is to get my wheel alignment done with some fishing line, conduit and a ruler.
    [​IMG]

Keep us posted on your progress!

Phil

20. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Thanks, Phil.
    Glad to see you are still working on that stunning GMC of yours.
    Truly a beautiful truck.

Steve.

vwnate1 likes this.