Steve's 50 re-re-rebuild

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 50 Chevy LS3, May 9, 2013.

1. 52wasp

52wasp Member

you answered your own question...

Steve,
    When I read this:

"I do like to push a car through curves. Alot."

It tells me while you are in the "infrastructure" stage of the project, you should take any and all steps needed to facilitate your "likes".

OK, the 60/40 bias isn't something you can dramatically alter (arguably much beyond a battery relocation), but anywhere else you could box a frame or stiffen the old girl up will pay dividends later.

2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Thanks, guys...

Well, OK, boxing is better, quick and easy. New wrinkle though, I believe the aftermarket rear frame mounted fuel tanks mount into the frame, using the open frame flange as a "ledge" to set on.
    The Camaro tank is listed as 39,3/8" wide, and my measurements put that right against my rear leaf spring shackles. A '64 GTO tank would work better side-to-side, as it is 37,1/4" wide, however, it is 30" deep. I'd probably have to move the shocks to the front of the axle. Not a big deal either.
    Anyone with pictures of their custom fuel tank install could sure help me out here.
    I also wonder about room for exhaust pipes, I would prefer to run them out the back.

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Actually the best mounting method is using straps, not mounting the tank flange to the frame. The frame twists and bends. If you mount the tank via a flange, then the tank twists and bends. As with most things the factory did, form follows function.

Here's a link to my tank thread: Frame Mounted Gas Tank
    Have you considered running the tailpipes outside the frame rails? That's the route that worked best on my ole '65.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  4. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Thanks, John.

That is a cool underside truck photo!
    I'll try and get a pic of mine to show why I don't think there will be room outside the rails.
    Thanks for the link to your install, also.
    I think I might go start a thread on this over at that "other" giant forum.
    I'll have to behave myself, take out any sarcasm, or the forum police might issue a warning...

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Be sure to tell Josh, Liz and Longhair that Lakeroadster said hello :eek:

6. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Might be deemed GUILTY by association.
    Anyway, here is some pics. showing how close everything is outside the framerail.
    100_5001.jpg 100_5002.jpg 100_5003.jpg
    Don't know why they are sideways...
    Obviously, I will need to tub the bedsides. Those wheels are puny little 14X6 S10 wheels I had laying around.
    Next, I need to know what you guys think. Does the wheel look like it needs to be moved back about another inch or two in these pics.? I think it does. It is supposed to be in the stock location, which I always thought looked too far forward.

Attached Files:

7. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

No "might" about it, Steve ;)

Tire vs. Fender.... looks about right to me Steve. If you draw a larger circle using the axle as the center line it appears the axle and the front/top of the fender radii are on the same center line.

Part of the issue is the fender opening isn't a single radius, its more of an arc with multiple radii.

Also, I think once you get some bigger diameter tires it won't be so noticeable since there won't be that big gap.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  8. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Your right. Looks a lot better after you showed me the big picture. Those 275/40s are about 3,1/2" taller.
    I'm still thinking it needs another 2" of drop to the rear.

9. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I agree with that, frames have to flex, the hydraulic oil tank on my Kenworth is mounted using flanges bolted to the frame. The method of mounting allows movement, yet, without cracking. It is a 50 gallon tank, upright, which would induce even more stress on the narrow mount surface. These tanks have been thoroughly tested. They are made with heavy ga. alum., however, prob. much heavier than an automotive tank.
    100_5007.jpg 100_5008.jpg
    I think, if a guy mounted a custom tank with a rubber pad, used bolts w/nyloc nuts and flat washers, and did not over tighten it, he might be OK.

10. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Good point Steve.

FWIW My Model T and Model A Ford Radiators use that same bolt and spring style arrangement. Ye ole flexible flyer.

Love those KW's ;)

11. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

In the 36 years I've been trucking, I've owned three Kenworth trucks. That is out of a total of four trucks, and one was driven by a hired driver. The first Kenworth was a 1975, W900A. My favorite, and I drove it myself for 16 years. The second, a '84 W900B, driven by my driver. The current one, a 1995 W900L, I've owned and driven since 2000. It will hopefully carry me until the end, and I see no reason that it will not.
    Of the 5 guys in my high school, who went into trucking, as owner-op's., we all still truck. We get along well, and sometimes work together.
    They all own Peterbilt's however, so guess who gets the grief.
    They have also bought brand-spanking new trucks over the years, and I always liked the older ones I could more easily afford, and, spend money on chrome and custom paint.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  12. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

East Bound and Down.............

Your livin' the dream Steve.

Since I was but a young lad my CB radio handle has been "California Hauler", or "CH" for short. So, as you can imagine, I am quite the fan of Peterbuilt 359's.

[​IMG]

13. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

"livin' the dream", huh. Well, John, I would agree with that for the first 25 years. I still love big trucks with big power, and a lot of chrome. The trouble is the last 10-11 years have not been such a love affair for me. (esp. the last 6, if you get my meaning) Anyway, 359s are cool, I just can't say that out loud around my friends.

14. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

back to vintage hot rods...

Still have not decided on a fuel tank. Leaning now towards a No Limit alum. rear frame mount. It is sort of pricey, but, probably high quality.
    I made some rear lowering blocks, and here is what I ended up with.
    Before, 100_5004.jpg
    After, 100_5017.jpg
    I like the after, what say you all?

15. Zig

Zig Member

I'm thinking that was time well spent~

Love the big rigs. Our country wouldn't be what it is (resource wise) without them.

East bound and down~

16. Zig

Zig Member

They don't give us one here, but I'm hitting the "LIKE" button.

If I could run country roads, I might think about doing this when I retire. Truckers should be owed a world of debt, considering how they keep our little worlds spinning.

17. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Lookin' good Steve... just right.

John

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Topic Drift

We used to have a really cherry 1967 Kenworth three axle tow truck , Management told us it wasn't up for replacement so we took it all the way apart and extended the frame a bit , then stripped & re painted everything on it , chromed everything then put it back to daily service work , of _course_ about 6 months later a new (crappy) three axle tow rig showed up and they sent the Kenworth off to Salvage where it sold for under $3,000 :mad: .

Stupidity like this is why no one ever likes Management :rolleyes: .

19. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Modern power in vintage tin...

Well, I found what seems, so far to be a really good deal on an engine for my project. It is not a 6.2 LS3. Might have to change my name here.
    After searching, and even attempting to bid on a complete totaled SS Camaro, I have been unable to get a good used LS3 for a reasonable price. Seems the word is out and the big-budget guys are spending ALOT on the super high performance LS engines.
    Anyway, I found a 2003 6.0 H.O. LQ9 Vortec "MAX", out of an Escalade. These engines were also available in the Silverado SS. It was supposedly traded to the salvage yard owner I bought it from, by another yard for his own Corvette project. He decided not to use it, so, he sold it to me.
    100_5040.jpg 100_5041.jpg 100_5042.jpg 100_5043.jpg
    The good news:
    1. It IS a Vortec MAX, flat top pistons, checked with a bore scope. 345HP/385lb.ft.
    2. It turned over at the salvage yard, with a lot of difficulty, has lots of compression.
    3. Mostly complete, PCM, front drive, sensors, etc.
    4. Turns freely with spark plugs out, engine had clean motor oil still in it.
    The sort of bad news:
    1. Cracked oil pan.
    2. Wiring harness there, but darn junkmen unplugged most, but, cut some plugs.
    3. Came with AC compressor, PS pump, but, no starter or Alt. (no big deal)
    4. One cracked inj. plug-in, female, busted injector.
    5. As with ALL LS engines, exhaust manifold bolts break off in the head. This one has only one broken. (not a big deal, either)
    100_5044.jpg
    I will at least re-fresh the mains and rods, when I change out the oil pan. If they look bad, I'll go further.
    I'll post plans for hop-up later, cause I can't just leave it alone as is...
    Got to at least get it up to 430HP, then it will at least equal a stock LS3...

20. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve, NICE SCORE!

I have this weight target thing (hence the L33), if not, I'd be pumped to have an LQ9 under the hood. Don't sweat the oil pan. Chances are, you'll need a different one anyway (the LH8 Hummer 5.3 has an oil pan which has proven perfect for many swaps, and is even available as a "kit" from GM). The truck oil pan is deeeeeep and hangs down a lot. I have 3 of them. If you DO need one, let me know. Don't sweat the harness too much, many of the outfits "reworking" them can replace broken or missing connectors. I don't even know if I'd touch the bearings either. All the OEM fasteners are torque-to-yield, which means they go in the trash once removed... My "spare" L33 is dismantled, 2xx,000 miles on her, and the bearings look PERFECT (still visible crosshatching on the cylinder walls too). The guy I bought it from some years ago about choked when he realized how much more expensive LS rebuild kits are than SBC kits. The LQ9 is a prized GEN III motor, nicely done!

Nice to see the de-clutching fan as well, no elec fans or wiring to deal with.