Steve's 50 re-re-rebuild

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 50 Chevy LS3, May 9, 2013.

1. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Can't wait to see the finished project!

2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Thanks, Robert. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever see the thing finished. I've not been able to even touch it now for two weeks, due to the nature of my job. :mad:

3. Zig

Zig Member

Steve~ Mine's been torn apart since 2005... It will happen, you just don't have to worry about rushing things this way.

4. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

brief interruption for Chevy Camaro story...

Yeah, Zig, I know, I enjoy the "journey" as Mike puts it. Just too many nights away or totally whipped when I do get home, is what bugs me.
    Anyway, I did get roped into helping haul a cool Chevrolet home for my cousin. I've read about "barn finds" here on the interweb, but, never really been involved with one.
    My cousin called and wanted my help in going to see a 1967 SS Camaro he found on Craigslist. Turned out, it is a original un-molested, 52000 mile, small block, four speed, 12 bolt, posi-trac, factory traction bar equipped, one owner, number matching, Super Sport. The ONLY thing I could find that was not original was the cassette tape radio in the dash, and the guy did not butcher the dash to put it in. ONE re-paint, but it will need quite a lot of $ spent to make it what it should be, for a collector car.
    100_5055.jpg 100_5057.jpg 100_5059.jpg 100_5063.jpg
    I know, it's not a truck, but, I also know we like pictures. And Chevys.
    Kinda wish I had been the one to find it, but, I'm glad he got it.

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

A winged one owner Camaro SS... now that is nice!

What was the original color?

6. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

John, the car was maroon, same color as the re-paint.
    According to the grand-son, who sold it, the car was purchased new in 1967 at a dealer in North Carolina. The grandfather was in the service, and immediately put the new car in storage while gone to Vietnam. After his return, he brought it back to Indiana, and was not driven very much. He said he would get it out, wash it and wax it, run it around town and put it back away.
    I was doubtful about the mileage. I figured 152000. We dug around in the glove-box and trunk, and found lots of receipts for parts and service which at first glance, confirm 52000. The car was last registered in 1997, I believe. I think with a battery and oil change and clean gas the thing will probably be running.
    UNBELIEVABLE, to me...

7. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

They are still out there... but it is unbelievable when one pops up close to home. Hot Rod magazine has a "barn find" / "garage find" just about every month.... neat stuff.

Rather than restore the Camaro maybe just clean it up and drive the wheels off of it.

Restore it and sure, it will be nice. But it will lose it's survivor status, which is what makes it unique.

So what are your Cousin's plans for the car?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  8. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

cars for no wrench saavy rich guys...

His plans, are, profit, profit, profit. Same cousin that bought the '68 Camaro to flip. He still has it too, but, says it is getting close to finished. Hopes to go to Mecum, Indpls. in May. He is NOT a car guy like us, does not even care much about driving them. Just rubs me the wrong way, but, it's his car.
    You said in a previous post he would likely lose his a$$, and I think your right, at least on the '68.

On the drive home, with the '67, I told him just exactly what you said here. Get the thing running and safe, and just DRIVE it. ENJOY it. He was just going on about it being a $40,000 car when finished...

I don't want to post what he gave for it, but, it was cheap enough for a kid to buy. That is what is wrong with the modern "investment" car movement. It just keeps the cool old cars out of the hands of young people like my son.

Had I found it, it would probably be running today, and my boy would be driving it to high school next week.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Steve's Cousin

That makes me grind my teeth ~ the Old Car Hobby used to be fun until @$$hats like him discovered there is easy money to be made fleecing true enthusiasts .

I once briefly owned a bone stock 1967 Camaro RS ~ re painted once , it still had the original AM radio that worked fine , decent carpets & interior etc.

My idiot ex brother in law had bought it and added those stupid looking fake flame decals to the doors , hood and trunk lid , plus third worlder decals with his and his wife's name , making it look simply awful ~ it had a 327 and Slip 'N Slide Powerglide slushbox tranny , plus warped valves from the air pump so it didn't run very well although being a Chevy it always started easily .

Current tags & titleon the original black & yellow California license plates .

I wasn't able to sell it for $350 on a busy street (Auto Row in fact) , I parked it across the street from my VW Shop , right in front of the Corvette Shop , mightily pi$$ing off the grumpy old White Boy owner.....

I'd see other , more beat up and modified Camaros selling easily for $500 (this was the mid 1970's) but those pathetic decals killed anyone's interest and oscar insisted I leave them on...
    In time I gave up and gave him back the car , I think he junked it as he was an idiot in pretty much everything he did .

10. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Free enterprise is great!

Well, Nate, I don't want to beat up on those who are profit driven too much. When I say "it rubs me the wrong way", it is because personally, I like old cars for the enjoyment value. I would keep the car, at least for a while.
    I guess our problem with the modern age is the slipping of the standard of living. More people with means, along with limited supply, results in high prices. This is happening with everything.
    The good news is, he is returning a lost muscle car to circulation.
    The '68 I mentioned is a beautiful car now. Cost ALOT to get there. Many men do not have the ability to work on/restore cars. They have the ability to write checks, however. And, that car was another one saved.

11. biorn123

biorn123 Member

i have the exact same engine going in my 48 I tore the motor apart and put a lot of power adders in it I have parts off the engine I would sell I have a good wire harness gas pedal computer and most of the drive accessory

12. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Interested.
    Do you have the Serv. number of the PCM?
    I need a acc. pedal, and the TAC module, 2003 Cad. Escalade.
    I have a harness, but, not a real good one.
    Don't know about engine parts, as I intend to re-cam, new intake manifold, possibly L92 heads.
    What do you have?

13. biorn123

biorn123 Member

mine is either a 03 0ur 04 escalade the number is 12586242 I have the pedal and tac I switched to a 06 gto harness pedal dbw throttle body and trans. I just got my engine done stock bottom end with 243 heads to bring compression up I sent the heads to tea performance to have stage 2 cnc porting done im running a fully ported fast 92 intake and a bigger cam im hoping to be around 500 at the crank

14. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

According to my source, 12586242, is 2004, DBW only. My 12582605 is same thing, 2003.
    I'm interested if your harness is un-cut. You can PM me with details.

500 HP, at the crank with cathedral-port heads is impressive. What are they charging for the port job, if you don't mind saying?
    Have you nailed down exactly what cam you will use?
    Your running the F.A.S.T. truck Intake?

Don't know about all the resto. guys here, but, I'd like to see pictures.

15. biorn123

biorn123 Member

500 might be a little wishful thinking but I think it's going to be real close it was rite around 1600 to get the heads done I've already got the can in I'll post pictures of my flow numbers on my heads and my cam specs it's a fully ported fast 92 intake that was another 800 on top of price of the intake Im running a gto 90mm dbw throttle body

16. biorn123

biorn123 Member

It's the car intake

17. biorn123

biorn123 Member

few pic of engine

Attached Files:

18. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

That is a more aggressive cam than I planned on.
    What do you expect your compression ratio to be? LQ9 is 10 to 1 stock.
    Piston clearance with flat-tops?
    What injectors, flow rate?
    I'm also wondering about headers for mine. Would like long tubes, but, not much space. Mid-length second choice, but, even doubtful on those.

I think you will get your 500.

19. biorn123

biorn123 Member

I went with .40 cometic head gaskets I'm pretty sure my compression is 11.1 I'll have to double check I have fast 36 pound injectors I'm probaly going to use Sanderson 1 3/4 block hugger headers I bought my cam from tick performance from a guy named Martin he is awsome this is the biggest cam he said would work without fly cutting Pistons

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I hear you Steve ;

Nothing wrong with repairing and re selling old cars , I did it for decades before there was much money in it .

What I dislike is the current crop of curbstoning @$$#ats who are corrupt and dishonest from the jump and do unrecoverable damage to old vehicles as well as our hobby and The Motor Trade overall .

When they've milked it dry they'll move on to the next easy ca$h thing and screw them next :mad: .