Steve's 50 re-re-rebuild

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 50 Chevy LS3, May 9, 2013.

1. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Your setup looks great, keep up the great work. Looks like your catching me Steve. :)

2. coilover

coilover Member

Really coming along---looks great. Don't know if you have access to a tig welder but if you could put the fill tube on left side a motorcycle pop up cap does away with something sticking up through the bed boards. Even a flush mount in the bed means spilled fuel on the boards. The LS engine has what amounts to a block hugger manifold that flow better than nearly all headers. Probably $$$. I made an engine lift for LS engine so just one chain is necessary. One chain lets the engine be rolled, tilted, angled with no bind or leveler necessary.

Attached Files:

3. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Thanks, Guys...

Zig, I got a FANTASTIC deal on the tires, so went ahead with the wheels. Hint, I use only Continental/General tires on big truck and trailers.

Rico, I'm about 160 laps behind you in a 200 lap race.

Evan, that engine hoist you made looks like the perfect thing for LS engines. It's hard to find a place to hook on with that big plastic intake manifold. The fuel tank thing will probably end up being in the floor. Not really the best idea, but, thought I might rig-up a flip up board. That, or a bigger flip lid with a stainless funnel built in. The exhaust manifold you pictured looks like the latest-greatest Corvette, LS7 part. Pricey and not readily available in salvage yards yet. I'm curious if it would fit in my application.

Speaking of the fuel tank, the reason it is not re-installed is, with wheels that polished, I decided I needed to polish the tank.
    I sure am picky.

4. Zig

Zig Member

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right? :D

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Hey Steve the rolling chassis is beautiful. Love the 5-spoke AR wheels.

I know polished fuel tanks look most excellent on your KW but I'm thinking you won't like the tank polished on the pick up truck. Less is more.. well, at least IMO.

Flow better than short tube headers... yeah, but not long tubes.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  6. coilover

coilover Member

Steve,
    Don't shell out big bucks for a flip up board kit. We use filler door hinges and electric release solenoids from 80's and early 90's Cougar/Thunderbird cars. Usually about ten bucks for a pair vs $500 for the kit. A bent piece of strap on the underside of the board with a screen door spring works well for flipping open.

Attached Files:

7. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Wow, That is cool, Evan. Thanks. I would not have spent the $$$ they want for the store-bought kit, but, you just took the problem of figuring it out away for me.

After further review, I have to agree with you, John. I already have LOTS of aluminum to keep looking good.

Oh, and I know your opinion on those modern low-profile speed rated tires. I will probably end up with a set of 15's on painted smoothies also. That way I can go "sleeper" hot rod or, "resto-mod".
    The thing is, my Continental rep. would have thought poorly of me if I did not use them.
    My old school street rodder father-in-law made me hold a rear fender up so he could see how they filled the fender well.
    He thought it looked ok, and stopped with the...well, you know.

8. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Another brief diversion into Camaro coolness...

No new truck news, too much time, "tethered" to my work truck.
    However, my cousin stopped by with his '68 big-block Camaro. Nice car after all the $$$ he spent. He had been to his first car show with it, won "peoples choice" award.
    There is hope for him, he thinks he will just keep it awhile now.
    100_5268.jpg 100_5269.jpg

How doe's it drive?, you might ask? I don't know, he won't let me drive it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  9. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Nice Camaro, love that D90 1968 stripe.

But the wheels, Steve, what's up with those stamped steel painted second generation wheels? Back in the day, those '70's factory wheels were the first thing we took off and threw in the dumpster :cool:

Cragar S/S, A/R TTO's, Cragar slots, Mach 8's or OEM 'vette Ralley's.... show that boy the error of his ways.... :D

Is it a slush box or a stick?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

SS 396 Camaro

I was at a buddy's house Thursday and a real 1968 SS 396 Camaro with stick shift came in ~ the first I've seen in years ~ original black plates and all .

The driver told me it's for sale and expects to get upwards of $125,000.00 for it ! :eek: .

Wow .

11. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Those ugly wheels.

I have been preaching about those ugly wheels since the car came in on a trailer! I've had to stop, because he LIKES them and was getting PO'ed. I told him to go with the Corvette ralleys, but, he just doesn't get it.
    The car came to him with silver paint and big black ralley stripes on the hood and trunk lid. I told him to go as original as he could and also go with that original dark red. Took him along time to decide, but, I think he did right on that. Those stripes are paint, under several coats of clear. The body shop guy just wanted to use stickers.
    The car is a four speed now, came with a TH400, but he bought all the parts and converted it.
    4:11 positrac, a real gas drinker.

Maybe, but real doubtful on a price like that. Must have been a number matching, once owned by John Wayne, some kind of flawless super Camaro.
    Then again, there is a lot of money out there.

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

'68 SS 396 Camaro

Well yes , that was the deal :

All original , matching numbers , original license tags , never wrecked nor rusted .

I don't really understand who'd buy a car like this new and not hoon it at least somewhat....

I too was flabbergasted at the price , I'da thought maybe $50,000.00 but what do I know about Muscle Cars ? .

13. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

1st Gen Camaro palooza

$100 grand is probably not out of line if it is indeed a numbers matching car with all the credentials to prove factory big block 4-speed . Prices are all over the map for 1st Gen Camaro's.

Having been around back then, every big block Camaro I can remember, the original numbers matching big block was gone: the owners blew the motors up and then swapped in something else.

Do a search here http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Search/Home for "1968 Camaro" and the wide range of prices is mind blowing.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1969-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-ZL1-COUPE-115971

Your Cousins car is nice Steve, sounds like you steered him correctly. Wheels are easy to change.

_____
    John

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  14. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

OK, I stand corrected. The '69 ZL1 in your second link is a whole different animal. Only 69 made, in a perfect world, I would own one.
    I could not get the first link to work.
    I'm curious what you think his Camaro is worth, at least a range?
    The car is an assembled car, numbers tell us it was a small-block car originally. The car was fairly rust free, and I think it was raced most of it's life. Repop doors, decent original floor pans and trunk.
    The engine is a 1971 vintage 396, in freshly rebuilt condition. Cammed-up, edelbrock carb., chrome all over it, Hooker coated headers, vintage air.
    I think the engine would be better with more of an original look.
    What say you?
    Is this a $40,000 car? I don't think so, but, as noted, my value meter is sometimes way out of calibration.

15. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

WIW - Good Question

I'd have to see it... is it a factory Super Sport or has it been changed so much through the years that it can't be determined (brake prop valve on subframe under drivers door, factory power brakes, 12 bolt posi, etc.)?

It could be a $40,000 Camaro if it needs nothing but a driver. But it's pedigree is gone, wrong motor, wrong trans, yadda, yadda. And since it no longer sports original sheet metal the quality of that work will make a huge difference in it's value.

So it would have to be pristine, IMO, to bring $40,000. Anything that would need to be done to make it pristine means the money spent to make it so chips away at the $40,000. Some folks like old race cars... they bother me from a structural integrity standpoint.

Here's a highly optioned '68 SS, really nice car, looks a lot like your Cousins too.... sold for $55,000.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1968-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-SS-2-DOOR-COUPE-138492

If I was going to buy a $40,000 Camaro, I'd want one that had it's factory credentials intact. A rusty crusty numbers matching car, even a six cylinder bench seat car, would interest me more than a modified Camaro.

That's just my opinion though.

_____
    John

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  16. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Truck Motor.

Thanks, John, I agree with your assessment. The car is nice, but, needs a little interior work.

Back to my truck project. I'm trying to educate myself and compile a list of performance upgrades for my 6.0, LQ9 engine.
    I've about decided to go with the Comp performance group companies mostly to ensure everything works together, at least should. That means the F.A.S.T. LS controller, injectors, and probably a "big mouth"92MM throttle body. I like the Comp cams "thumper camshaft, probably the mildest version, along with their lifter set, pushrods, trunnion upgrade kit, and valve springs.
    The only place I might stray is, for an Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT manifold. Might have to use their 90MM Throttle body.
    With headers, I should be able to tune it way beyond factory HP, plus still be drivable, and comfortable.
    I'd like to get all this hammered out and ordered so I can build the engine this winter.
    I like this:https://youtu.be/m89JGQsK8tU
    Also this, video quality not as good, but, gives an idea of the sound esp. wound up.https://youtu.be/xP2m-EW-0a4
    It appears the Camaro went to 6400 RPM.

17. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Minor Update...
    Made some very small steps forward. Thought I would test the new forum.
    As Nate always says, be sure and paint all the little "bits". These are the last of the frame brackets, along with inner fender braces. 100_5336.JPG The "outside" painting window is going to close soon. 100_5334.JPG
    Same, Storm Gray metallic pearl, Acrylic Enamel, hardener, followed with 2K clear.
    Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  18. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve, keep up the good work! For me, its been the HARDWARE that has slowed me down, more than the "bits". And the outside-painting window appears to have slammed shut already around here. You and I are running neck and neck with progress. Forward progress is a beautiful thing indeed.

Keep it up! I posted some pics in my thread for your enjoyment as well.

19. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

It's like a full size model kit! Now.. where to put all those pieces parts so they don't get scratched up until ass'y...

____
    John o_O

20. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Thanks, Mike, there is a whole list of things that seem to slow me down. I have, however, owned the truck for over 40 years, so, I really cannot make too many excuses.

John, it is like a giant model kit. With this one, however, I will not likely hear mom's angry voice saying, "STEVE, DID YOU GET GLUE ON MY TABLE, AGAIN?"

The parts, after paint, are mostly hanging on the wall, in the attached garage. Garage art, I call it...

Steve.

Lakeroadster and ccharr like this.