The Ole 52

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coonkka, Nov 11, 2013.

1. coonkka

coonkka Member

Well for all of ya keeping an eye on my progress I got the rubber around the door opening on the cab side and let me TELL you it was a pain in the ---- after much cursing and some liquid courage Its on. Also got the rubber up on the front for hood to rest on Yeah that was easy. I do wish I had a helper with some know how. Started the wiring mounted the fuse box and got the wiring headed toward the frontend and rearend and inside. It looks like a big spider web right now.. OMG what a task... Wish me luck...:eek:

2. Zig

Zig Member

I didn't need an excuse to raise a glass, but THANKS! Here's to you! ;)

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wiring

Karen ;

I hope you remembered to install a brandy new firewall wire harness grommet before installing the harness ~ it cannot be done later and rotten / missing firewall grommets is the # 1 cause of fires.....

I sure wish my Lady liked to work on my truck like you do yours :D .

4. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Way to go, Karen. Don't let the wiring get you too stressed out.... Each circuit can be thought of as an individual circuit. Do them one at a time if you have to. I used EZ Wiring, and all the wires are labeled the entire length, so It's easy to keep track of what is going where. I hope yours is, too. Any questions come up, ask. You know we'll try and help. Bill

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Windlace was made to induce swearing. I have done it alone, but it shure is nice to have someone to help feed the rubber to you. Use lots of wire ties as you run the wires, then use a few well placed final ties and cut out all the others to make a nice bundle. Plan ahead for routing away from any moving parts and wear spots. Take your time, take notes for yourself as you go.

6. coonkka

coonkka Member

thanks thanks thanks

It is always nice to get a response... I really dont get it I mounted the fuse box on the driver side above the kick panel with the fuse names facing you so you can read them and I dont like it , the main group of wires are coming out towards the door opening and it looks like crap, if I turn the fuse box around so the main group of wires goes towards the fire wall the fuses are upside down. So do I need to move the fuse panel to the fire wall itself? Oh my I am puzzled. I have wiring thru firewall but thats all I have the new grommet just not pushed up into place yet. Also one more thing all the wires that go to the back of the truck theres no way they will fit under that little piece of trim on floor by door so where do they go thru? Could they go out the front down the firewall along the frame? I did get the ez wiring kit. HELP Guys...I'm at a stand still on the wiring trying to figure out what to do.:eek:

7. coonkka

coonkka Member

Maybe a little encouragement is in order..:rolleyes:

8. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I now mount all my fuse blocks with velcro and leave some extra lead wire. Standing on your head in the dark trying to read fuses sucks. Just grab it and rip it off the panel, fix your fuses and stick it back on.

9. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Hey Karen. I mounted mine so the wires run toward the firewall... I can read upside down or backward if I need to. Besides, you're only gonna' read that stuff on rare occasions once the install is done. The wires that go to the rear come out through the firewall along with all the rest. Bundle them separately once out in front, then you can run them into place when required. Don't forget, the fuel gauge wire runs with them part way. I have several spare circuits, so I carried the one for 'trunk lite' and 'Back-up lites' along with tail/stop/turn signals. I can put a power outlet in the back somewhere if I want. Or add 'whatever', later. Start with the "easy" ones... In front run the Left and Right High and Low beams, and turn signals and park lights, to the left inner fender and terminate on an 8 terminal strip (from Radio Shack). Save the cut offs for the next leg of each wire. This makes troubleshooting a lot easier should it be necessary later. These had a small terminal strip there originally. On mine, I used the 8th terminal for a ground wire, which I also ran to the headlight buckets and turn signal mounting bolts, but this is not required. I'm a retired electrician, and I wanted to be certain I have a good ground... I'll try and find an appropriate picture to post, too. Put another terminal strip on the right inner fender and run all the right side wires across the radiator frame to the other side, terminate, and then finish those runs to the lights from inside fender. This will get you familiar with the process so when you're working under the dash you'll already have all that 'experience' ;)Keep asking with anything that comes up, and I'll try and pay attention. :)

Attached Files:

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Taillight Sub Harness

Yes Karen ;

The taillight wires pass through the firewall grommet along with the stop light wires and fel gauge wires , they';re run along the frame , look for some " Frame Clips " ~ clever little spring clips that hold tightly to the frame but don't pinch the wires....

In general , fuses don't ever blow ~ they're a safety valve s to speak , I never once changed a fuse on my old unrestored '49 3100 , all it had was a new , Chinese made (ick) basic $99 stock harness fitted .

I have tried to get my Sweet interested in things Mechanical , she like me is old and from another time , she has zero interest even though she was who got me started on Diesels , go figure .

She never forgets to ask if I've checked the tire pressure , ATF , engine oil & coolant etc. , she's just a Lady (very much so IMO) and thinks Ladies do not go under the hood .

It's all good ! :D .

She's actually ridden on the back of my Motos a few times .

11. coonkka

coonkka Member

Thanks lots for all the great info on the wiring I really was overwhelmed with all that and I will take off the fuse block and turn it around to have the wires face towards the firewall I really should have done that to begin with. Been doing lots of little things here and there slowly getting it back together.. THANKS GUYS

12. coonkka

coonkka Member

New Parts

Well my kids didn't really like it much when I told them to buy me parts for the ole truck for Christmas, but they did and I am very excited. I got new chrome arms and mirrors for both sides complete with gaskets and screws, also got this cool bracket and flashlight that mounts to the steering column, and a sucide knob for steering wheel.. Thanks to the kids,.. I didn't tell them I bought myself a few gifts as well like a new roll pan for back of bed and both front and rear chrome bumpers along with the rear bumper brackets Can't wait to get them on. It is gonna look so COOL can't wait to show her off. Hope everyone had a great Christmas. Till next time
    ta ta:)

13. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

My kind of christmas...

14. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

C'mon, Karen.... get those parts installed and show us pictures!!

Damon

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good Kids

Karen ;

It sounds like you raised 'em up well .

My Son occasionally buys me a truck part and always *just* what he knows I'll want , not goofy kiddie racer chrome junk .

For my '49 he bought me the set of 5 '41 ~ '47 DeLuxe Passenger car hub caps because he knew I'm fond of those and 5 because of course I'd be wanting a matching hub cap on my side mounted spare tire....

16. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Good news, Karen. Glad you had a nice Christmas. In order to use the roll pan with the rear bumper brackets you'll have to cut out some of the roll pan. It's hard to see in these pictures, but here's what the cutouts look like. Pics taken at left rear of truck. Fender is visible in most, for reference. The green wire is attached to the bumper bracket, which is hard to see because it's black.

Attached Files:

17. coonkka

coonkka Member

roll pan mods.

Thanks for the info. I bought parts at classic parts and while there they have a 52 on the show room floor and it has the roll pan and it has the mods on it so thats what gave me the idea cause it looks AWSOME for sure. Thanks for the pics. To darn cold in the garage to do any work so gonna have to wait for warm weather and it is killing me. I just keep gathering parts I need to complete the job and when warm weather gets here I'll be ready. COME ON SPRING... there I go wishing my life away again.
    ttu all soon:eek:

18. coonkka

coonkka Member

wiring progress

Well couple of my friends came over last night and we proceeded to take all the wiring out I had started. reason 1 it looked a mess. 2 we needed to move fuse block to firewall side so we had better view and wires came out properly. So couple hours later we got it off and out and remounted and wires out the firewall and wire to dome light. Oh yeah forgot he brought me a brand new seat. It is purdy... So not lots of progress but getting there slow but sure.

19. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Where are the pictures, Karen?? :cool:

Damon

20. Zig

Zig Member

Indeed~ Pictures please? ;)