Transmission rumblin

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by destryrideagain, Apr 12, 2010.

1. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

Howdy guys, a couple weeks ago every now and then when i was in 1st or 2nd gear with clutch in the transmission would start rumbling. Checked fluid and it was low. Filled it back up and everything ran great for about 2 weeks. Now the rumblin is back more-so than ever and even when i just have the clutch in. Fluid is still full. Any suggestions? Could it be the throwout bearing? Thank you!

2. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

anyone? pleaseeeeee

3. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

Drivetrain

If you are running a stock torque tube, I would suggest checking the U joint, and that slap in your torque tube drive shaft. The old brass bushings do wear out. The drive shaft will rumble if U joint or the bushing is worn out.

Jim:(

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Couple of questions for you. Is it a 3 speed or 4 speed tranny? Describe for us the noise it's making. Normally, a bad throwout bearing will not make a noise until you depress the clutch enough for it to engage the "teeth" of the pressure plate, then it is more of a metal to metal whine than a rumble. Does it shift OK, or is it hard to get in and/or out of gear?

5. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

Thanks for the reply guys. Ken, its a 4 on the floor and it is difficult to shift between the 1st and 2nd gears. Sometimes i have to try a couple times to shift into gear. It sounds as if the gears are turning, its low pitched.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Tranny Noises

O.K. drain the tranny into a clean plastic drain pan and loiok for metal sliverz ,shavings , what have you .

Swish a magnet (small screwdriver head will work) around in it .

if silver colored stuff sticks to the magnet , you have some work to do , it's cheapest to buy another (good used) takeout tranny . but parts are available , might just be bad bearings .

Gold/Bronze colored bits in the oil means the snychro hubs are toast .

If you can nmake it grumble or groan by standing still with the engine running , in gear and the clutch deperessed , this indicates either the throwout bearing *or* the pilot bearing in the middle of the flywheel / crankshaft , this would more account for the difficulty in changing gears...

it also means the tranny proper is NOT bad .

Simple work to fix any of these , just heavy labor .