Transmission Swap

Discussion in '1988-1998' started by 93chevy, Feb 1, 2013.

1. 93chevy

93chevy Member

I have a 1993 Chevy K1500 with 4 wheel drive and manual transmission. I was curious what it would take to convert this to a automatic transmission. I've talked to a few people who have all told me different things. I want to know the mechanical but also the electrical and also what I would have to do with the onboard computer, if anything.

Thank You.

2. Ben@CPOA/TECH

Ben@CPOA/TECH Member

This swap depending on which transmission you choose can be much less electrical. Say you want a th300 or th400, not much electrical required your manual tranny ECM (engine control module- computer) would work just fine. You could even get a 700r4 with a manual lock converter and have overdrive with no electronic hang ups. Now if you would like a 4l60e or 4l80e you will either need to switch out your whole wiring harness for one that includes the transmission harness and ECM, or you can change just your ECM and repin the harness to it adding the wires you would need to run an electronic shifting trans. Also you could always add an aftermarket trans control and keep your stock ECM.