Trouble Running

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Wolf, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Wolf

Wolf Member

thanks, I will look into vacuum leaks. Also I did notice that my vacuum advace line seamed to be loose. I will have to check that out as well

2. Wolf

Wolf Member

another update

The next day I tried to start it up and pull it in my driveway and it would start just fine but couldn't even get it to go more then 5 ft, and the only way it would run is with the choke on. Pulled the nut off the top of the carb and sprayed carb cleaner in there and on the nut thing, and put it back in,and I also pulled the new fuel line off right after the filter, right before the carb and ran bout 20 oz of clean clear fuel into a soda can. and bamm it started up and ran great. I pulled it in the driveway and ran it for another 5 min and it was just fine.

Now this to me points to the carb... like i said before i now have new tank, fuel lines, pump, filter, and rebuilt carb.

the only thing I can think of is that since i ran the truck on dirty fuel lines after i rebuilt the carb, that could have gunked up my rebuilt carb. Now I just talked to jim carters and they would actually take my carb send it off to be rebuilt and then send it back to me. I was hoping for a "new" rebuilt carb.

Any suggestion additional suggestions? just trying to get some updated information, its frustrating for sure:eek:

3. willardgreen

willardgreen Member

The float seems to be stuck and not letting gas in the bowl. Make sure the floats pivot is seated and not letting it stick. Look at the needle & seat to. Most times the float will stick and cause flooding.

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

NAPA sells rebuilt ones..$140 around here.

5. Wolf

Wolf Member

Willard this is what I am leaning towards also.

Ol chebby: Your local NAPA sells rebuilt Zenith carbs!!!! my local store didn't even have rebuilt water pumps, and i had the part #. They said their supplier was out of them.

My local Oriley Auto store had them though. I have had great luck with that store. There are 2 close to me and both are great. Guys are awesome, and very helpful. Not sure how large this chain is, i think its pretty local to this area. But they seem to have good quality parts too. I just got a rotor and cap for my 91 ford to replace the china junk that i used 2 yrs ago. And they actually sold me made in the USA parts. Quality wise there was no comparison, and price was 5 bucks more!!!

6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

O'Reilly's

Hey Wolf, O'Reilly's is the third largest chain of auto parts stores in the nation. They have over 1400 stores in 25 states, according to a 2005 article I saw today. They are probably bigger than that by now.

7. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Also go by the name of Schuck's up here in the NW.

8. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

If Napa doesn't have it, O' Reilly's is the next stop.

9. Wolf

Wolf Member

Alrighty: finally with an update. Had a crazy weekend like usual, but thought it would be nice and mellow, but thats what i get for thinkin. Anyway I did have some time to delve into the truck. Tried the not so safe clorox bottle of gas going to the carb directly. That didn't make a bit of difference. So I took the carb off took it apart and cleaned it up again. Found a small amount of "gunk" in there but the main thing is that I found a small clip that was missing on the accelerator pump spring/arm, sorry if the terminology is wrong I don't know carbs very well. Anyway put it back on and drove it around friday night. And what do you know it ran great. But i couldn't get to excited, because its done that before. So i drove it saturday, and monday and tuesday and its drove great ever since.

On another good note I got my wiring finished! I now have turn signals and brake lights!!!

Now i just need to get the correct fitting coming out of the gas tank to stop my annoying little drip. I also need to replace the water pump it sounds like junk and is loose, and get new tires put on. then is off to inspection and driving.

Anyway thanks to all for your help. It seems to be working properly as of right now anways

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yaaaayyyyy !

You can _THINK_ ?! I'm impressed ! I'm still trying to learn that trick .

BTW : no more engine running until you replace the water pump ! when they are loose , wobbly & noisy , the next thing is fan through the radiator core :eek:

$$$$$$$$$ :mad:

Don't risk it .

11. Scubanero

Scubanero Member

Or like my Dad's '53 that put a fan blade through the hood.

12. Zig

Zig Member

Good for you!!!

Way to go, Brian! Perseverance prevails! :D

Going to work just became tougher, right? The thought of rolling down the road in that beautiful G might keep you off track while on the job.

How's the temp gauge looking? Just wanted to know if it looked reliable enough to make it down here to Pittsburg...:rolleyes:

13. Wolf

Wolf Member

thanks zig. yeah it is tough sometimes, especially that i don't drive it to much due to the loose, noisy water pump. but the temps have been great. it runs nice and cool:cool: I cant wait to drive it down to pitt to see ya, maybe give ya a hand or two on your ride... or garage.

how have you been doing now? any more news on your garage and / or truck... i know school started back up so im sure your busy

14. Wolf

Wolf Member

Paul: Here is what I have been up to lately as well... looks like us GMC guys like to do wood working too!!! Got my deck mostly finished. I still have some small landscaping stuff to do but thats bout it. The only thing that would have made it more fun would have been to haul all the wood with my GMC. but my old 91 ford with the 300I6 did the trick great!!!

but the deck was my wife and my big project for this summer. We love it!

Also I got my turn signals and brake lights working and complete. The fronts I changed out the inside of the parklight housing to a dual filament bulb.

it will be off to the dmv soon to get it legal on the road

Attached Files:

15. booger

booger Member

Great deck !!!!!! cool beans, now you have good place for drinks and BBQ and swap stories bout CHEVY vs gmc ......................:cool:

16. Wolf

Wolf Member

thanks! it was a lot of work, but i am proud to say i designed and built it my self. i had some help from some family members that was great, but it is a lot of fun to enjoy now! we are having a get together this weekend actually to break it in!!!

17. Zig

Zig Member

How'd I miss this?

This post has been up since the 8th???:eek:

WOW, Brian! Great (massive) deck!:D If you drove a Chevy, I bet it would have only been half that size, huh?:D:p;)

I hope we're both finished with the major wood projects and can get back to the metal ones!:cool:

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well ,

A bit shorter maybe :rolleyes:

:p

19. Wolf

Wolf Member

nate that is too funny... true but funny!

Paul, i can't wait to see your garage in person. man its a work of art. Im glad the deck is finished, man my wife and I are out there all the time, plus the weather has been amazing here this summer and early fall. Sunny and 75 to 80!

Update:
    Well looks like I will be needing new rims. tried several places, finally came to a large truck place that will do split rims! Took a rim there and they just like everybody else won't touch this type of split rim! Apparently the kind I have are outlawed now, and if they come across these they are required by law to saw them in half.

So I'm looking for some " new" rims. Im thinking any 8 lug from a 70's to 90's chevy will work? Any suggestions????

Also My water pump arrived yesterday hopefully its the correct one! I will get that on as soon as I can. I already have the old one torn off.

Getting closer:D

20. Zig

Zig Member

I got this!

Brian, before I decided to go with a much better (parts wise/choice wise) front end, I went out and bought 8 lug wheels that are one piece and yours for the taking. You just have to come and get them. I paid 50$ for them, but you'll spend that much in gas to come down and go back, so that's why they'd be free.;)
    They just need paint and tires.