underbed gas tank 57 stepside

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Bluedot Man 01, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Bluedot Man 01

Bluedot Man 01 Member

Bluedot Man 01 One more time on under bed gas tanks . I need to know if any one is using a real skinny tank and what it came out of, my trk only has 13 in of ground clearence from bottom of bed braces to grade now have a 16gal fuel cell in the bed. thank for any help I can get

2. tech1

tech1 Member

The Rock Valley tank that we offer is 10" deep and bolts in the frame rails. 40 gal tank and sells for $490.00. It's a stainless tank.

3. ljw

ljw Member

do you have ditch the spare tire carrier from underneath or modify anything to fit that tank in?

4. Bluedot Man 01

Bluedot Man 01 Member

Lee, I am looking for sugestions for a tank, spare tire left when lowered the trk. Bottom of frame rails only 9 in from grade, in talked with a guy that moved his bed floor up so a tank would fit with more than 3-4 in of ground clearence didn't sound like a bad idea. But was hoping that someone else may have the same problem with a cure Thanks for the reply

5. Leesnuts

Leesnuts Member

I used the 16 gallon mustang tank and mounted it on top of the frame rail. It sits 6-6.5" under the bottom of the frame rail. Check out the picture below.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/6/web/390000-390999/390360_40_full.jpg

6. Bluedot Man 01

Bluedot Man 01 Member

Thanks for the reply, got my Mustang tank from Ebay last Fri. Took the floor out Sat. AM modified frame too be able to install tank . Still am going to move floor up 4in. becouse rear end center was hitting floor on bumps,now am going to make a support for tank keeping it off to of frame which will give me about6-7in. of ground clearence. Thanks again

7. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Hey guys, what are you using for a fuel guage sender?
    I want to put a mustang tank in my 1950 1/2 ton, but would like to keep the stock fuel level guage. I read the mustang sender is 10-78 ohms. Any help woul be appreciated........Mike

8. Richie Z

Richie Z Member

What I did was to clamp the mustang sender to the workbench, and with a marker, trace the arc that the float travels in onto the bench top. Then I removed the rheostat and arm from the pick up tube and placed my chevy unit on the tube in such a way as to copy the arc and limits of the ford unit. I think the float arm length had to be modified a tad. Then a little solder and a new strap to the wire terminal and that was it.

9. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Thanks. Hadn't thought of doing something like that. I will look into that solution when i get it all apart. Thanks for the help....Mike

10. stroker57

stroker57 Member

Does anyone know if it is possible to add a hidden hitch receiver with one of these under bed tanks. Is the Rock Valley tank really 40 gal? I've never seen one over about 22 or 23 gal.

Thanks

11. Halfton57

Halfton57 Member

Lee, I really like the way you are setting up your tank and I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my '57. There is a Mustang specialty place a few miles from where I live that sells the 20 and 22 gal tanks for $180 and they look pretty good. If you are any farther along on your planning and installation I would appreciate you sharing whatever you are willing with me/the rest of us. The photo of your tank install was especially nice...I really appreciate it. :D

Stepside57 in the Central San Joaquin Valley of California

12. jessie57

jessie57 Member

Thought I would make a comment about the location of the Mustang gas tank on the stock frame.

It's hard to tell from that picture above, but for those who plan on doing this, avoid bolting/framing the tank to the top of the frame rails. What we found is that the tank resting on the top of the frame rails will conflict with the bed wood/strip screws. What we ended up doing was resting it and then bolting the tank to the lower inner frame rail. (frame -> [---------] <- inside rather than on top)

Doing this gives you plenty of clearance between the bed wood and the top of the tank. It also gives you room to fabricate a gas filler spout if you intend on putting the filler cap in the bed. I can take some pictures if people are interested.

13. 59 Hot Rod

59 Hot Rod Guest

Roden 4 Fun,
    What year of Mustang tank did you use?

14. Halfton57

Halfton57 Member

Yes, I would very much like to see some pictures of the work you are doing. I am in the process of accumulating the parts to do the same thing and any info that might same me some time will be greatly appreciated.

Stepside57 in the Central San Joaquin Valley of California