Water pump adapter

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Larrys 48, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Seems to me I've heard or read about an adapter that raises the fan higher on the 235 (with short shaft water pump) to get better cooling through the radiator. Do any of you have information to share about this?

2. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

I think you are refering to the kit that allows you to install an earlier 216 water pump on the later 235 motors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1962-C...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item20b3d59afe

You will need to be sure that you use the correct coresponding harmonic balancer or you may end up spinning the pump faster than it was ever designed for ....resulting in impeller cavitation, foaming of the coolant.... not to mention the risk of fan blade parts flying through your hood.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. federale

federale Member

Re:Adaptor

I just drilled a few holes in the radiator mount area and dropped it a few inches. Only an expert would notice the difference and it worked for me!

4. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll pursue this if and when I pull the engine.

5. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Short shaft water pump/balancer.

Our Host and Patricks in Casa Grande sells the shortshaft waterpump for the 235 CI engine. He mentions on his internet site how to convert the pump and balancer in the right way ;

Copied from Patricks website)

6.Water pump / generator alignments depend on each other. Install the water pump first. If your '235 wore the long water pump pulley, DO NOT BEGIN HACKING ON THE RADIATOR CORE SUPPORT and/or LATCH PANEL! Patrick's has the short pump and special pulley for only $139.95 This allows for the use of the larger, late-model fan, which provides better cooling.
    (Note: it is not correct to press the early '216 pulley onto the late water pump, since this spins the impeller approximately 190% of design speed. and may even cavitate the water, causing overheating. In addition, the old, back-woods method can literally be dangerous, since it requires using the '216 "low speed" fan which is turned far beyond its design safety.)

P.S. I have installed the shortshaft waterpump and the harmonic balancer that suits the 1955 235 engine and the setup is just working fine. Allthough i lowered the standard radiator setup a bit without no cutting or hacking. Beware of the fact that the distance between the radiator and the cooling fan becomes narrower so maybe you have to tweak the fanblades a bit that it wont damage anything! I just drilled 4 new mounting holes in the sideframe on a lower spot, thats all. Result is an even better radiator/engine cooling effect as the excisting fanblade is more in center of the radiator ! By the way , there are aftermarked cooling fans for sale with 6 blades instead of 4 to wich gives even better cooling. You can get them here.

http://www.truckandcarshop.com/trucks47_59/t47_071.html

Martinius.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  6. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member