Welding - Could it really be that hard??????

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by steve l, Mar 11, 2011.

1. steve l

steve l Member

Big Tim.....

If only you lived closer to So. Cal then I could have you probably teach me just 1/100th of what you know about welding and I would probably be able to do a good job.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I should attempt this myself or not. My wife of course thinks I shouldn't - she says I don't have the time. I think it would be good to learn a new skill. That is never a bad thing. My only concern is giving it a go on the old truck. I guess things can always be redone - hell on Classic Parts you could re-buy the whole truck one part at a time if you wanted to but I would rather not.

Steve

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Learn To Weld !

Steve ;

Most Community Collages and Adult Training Centers offer welding , that's the smart way to go and it's a lifetime skill , good to have , evening or weekend classes .

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Like most things, get a welder and jump in. A neighbor borrowed my welder to fix his mailbox. I took it over, then promptly ran out of wire. He bought a new spool and we installed it, but it began to rain. He watched a few videos on You tube on welding, tried it his self in the morning before I got there. Did a damn good job. Look up some videos, then see what you think.

4. sidewynder

sidewynder Member

Lead Free Body Solder

I opted to go with solder on my body work as well. It has definately helped the job take longer, but the end results will be better and longer lasting. I have used Eastwood's lead free solder. In fact I used it before I have used leaded solder for body work. It is a bit harder than the leaded, and has a slightly higher melting point and narrower working tempurature range. It doesn't take long to go from "not quite flowing" to "on the floor". :rolleyes:

I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to body work, and especially leading, but in my limited experience, I prefer the leaded solder for its workability, and slightly better flexibility. Not to mention affordability as the lead free is twice the price.