Wiper Questions

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by destryrideagain, Feb 11, 2010.

1. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

Howdy Guys, New here. Have a question about the windshield wipers in my 1950 3600. The wipers stopped working one morning and I've been working under the dash to try and fix them. The linkage is still connected to the motor under the dash, I saw that there are 2 set allen screws going from the linkage to the motor..I tightened em up and the wipers started to work a little bit, then the linkage started slipping again. Are the allen screws the only thing holding the linkage in, or is it splined as well? Any suggestions please! Thanks!

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Do you have electric wipers installed? You may have a ground issue. Find the black wire and ground it somewhere else. Use self tapping sheetmetal screws, and star washers underneath. You may also need to grind a little paint from beneath the screw. You may also need to check to make shure your body is well grounded. Run an extra wire from under the body to the frame, prefferably where the battery is grounded.

3. coilover

coilover Member

As I understand it the motor shaft turns but slips in the linkage, is this correct? I think you are talking about the set screws that hold the bellcrank to the motor shaft. If so, the shaft usually has a flat ground along one side and if the set screws aren't seating against this flat there is no way they will not slip. You may have to grind a flat spot for the screws to set against but it will have to be in the correct position or the wipers will be out of time. Back off the set screws, turn the motor on and then off so it will be in the park position, place the wipers in the park position, take the set screws all the way out without moving the linkage and the reach through the set screw holes in the bellcrank with a sharp awl and scratch the motor shaft so you will know where flats are needed. If those screws are locked against a flat area there is no way they will slip.

4. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

Thanks for the replies guys! Yes, they are electric wipers and Evan is right on about what Im talking about. Ill take a look later on and get back with y'all. Thanks again!