Wishfull thinking...

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by bigtimjamestown, Dec 28, 2014.

1. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

DSCF0504.jpg All cleaned up with my son Max, I told him when I was his age I use to drive this beast to school only back then it wasn't so much of a beast but boy could I cause trouble.... Good times....:cool:

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Carefull

About telling Kids about being a trouble maker....

Kids tend to idolize their 'Rents and follow the path described , they'll ignore that part where you told them about the misery you suffered from bad choices .

That being said , i am sure he loves riding with you and is looking forward to being able to drive it some day .

3. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

well, as long as it's not, TROUBLE,...

I tell my kids about wild things my brother and I used to do. Mostly ,though, thats more about the FREEDOM we enjoyed. You know, every boy over about 8 carried a pocket knife, TO SCHOOL, guns in gun racks in the high school parking lot, street racing when if caught, you were told stearnly to go home, and don't come back to town. Sometimes I think I shouldn't tell so much because they have to live in todays ratcheted down world.
    Tim, do you have a thread where you tell the complete story behind your truck?

4. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

50 Chevy there's not really a Thread on the story behind this truck but there are several story's I can tell dating back to 1977 when I was 16 and first got the truck... I can say though that everything on this truck was hand built by me and now that it's home it's going to get tore down and finished....:cool:

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Impressive !

I wish I still had a few of the old nails I had when I was 14 , 15 , 16 etc......

Some I'd like to have now , others I could sell at a serious profit , back then they were $150 beaters , even my 1954 Pontiac Super Chief Coupe was , it ran and had factory AC , color matching skirts & visor , diamond tuck leather upholstery.....

That thing was AWSOME and I don't think I have a single picture of it :( .

6. Zig

Zig Member

Big James!!! Welcome Back!!!

What??? You are going to tear it down and finish it up? Cool beans!!!
    PLEASE give us the photo journey of this progress!
    Hope you have been enjoying life, *Big Tim* (Ya know I love messing with you) :p
    How's the new house going for you?
    Last I remember, you had moved and then fell off the earth.

7. coilover

coilover Member

Working on a project together brings about bonding that is stronger then any other activity. If one shows dedication and patience to deal with anything from rust seized bolts to a cracked block then this action shows life will have small and big problems but it's not something that can't be overcome. My younger brother died at a very early age from pancreatic cancer so when each of his two boys reached thirteen they came down to my shop from Minnesota and worked each summer on their chosen project till they turned 16 and could drive it home. Neither had any substance or legal trouble and we can still get on the phone and discuss any topic. When I read about the suicide rate of young people from such minor things as being picked on on social media I think what a waste. They just don't know that life WILL have problems that CAN be overcome. Your boy is lucky to have a dad like you.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Once Again ;

Evan is dead on point here ~

I'm always working and my Son was always encouraged to hang 'round and watch , get greasy , in time he began to pick up tools and lend a hand .

I'm a Single Father and raised him up poor in the ' bad ' part of town , we're close and he's never needed to be bailed out , gotten hooked on drugs , brought me any bastards , no tattoos , on and on .

Evan , you're Brother is watching and smiling as you took on a hard job , did the right thing .

God bless you and all the good Folks here .