wont start

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by wuebbles, Apr 8, 2005.

1. wuebbles

wuebbles Member

i have a 85 chevy 4x4 with a 305. my problem is that the steering wheel moved a little from side to side when i bought it. then it would only start the truck when i had the colum all the way down. now it will not start the truck at all. the switch wont even flip back to the on position. a guy told me it would be easier to replace the whole steering column. is this true and where do i find one at besides a junk yard. thanks for any help

2. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

Side to side motion in a tilt column means that it's time to rebuild it. You might want to check to see if the rods that operate the ignition switch are loose or getting caught on something. If this is your first time working on a column you might want to find one like yours in the junkyard and tear it down. Only specialty tools you will need are a steering wheel puller and a lockplate compressor.

3. wuebbles

wuebbles Member

so replacing the whole column would not be a good idea. i was thinking about going to a junk yard and just getting one to replace the one i have

4. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

If you don't want put a lot of effort into fixing your column, then a junkyard replacement will probably be the better option for you.