Speedo gear

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by fielddad, May 6, 2014.

1. fielddad

fielddad Member

Looking for a speedo gear for a power glide, according to calculations the GM part # is 613289 which I haven't been able to locate the other gear I was able to find. If anyone has any info for location I would be very appreciate it. It is the drive gear that goes on the output shaft at the rear.
    Getting close to finishing up just the small things that are taking sooo much time.

2. Ben@CPOA/TECH

Ben@CPOA/TECH Member

We offer a few, an all parts search for speedometer gear brings up a few options

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  3. fielddad

fielddad Member

I'm still looking if anyone has any info. The driven gear I have is white 19 tooth I just need to know how many teeth the drive gear should have. There is a tran shop close by that has a bunch of gears but I don't know what to ask for.

4. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Speedo Drive Gear Choices

O.K. , I see you're from Tenn. so I'll give you a Farm Fix Tip :

Each tranny / rear end ratio / tire diameter combination is different , this is why the local Tranny Shop has a box full of different gears ~ borrow one and install it, go for a drive & see how accurate the speedo is .

If it's wrong , swap it for another one .

If you don't have a <magic> Garmin/Tomtom/GPS thing , I am told all modern cell 'phones can tell you how fast you're moving , I have no idea but it's a handy thing to know .

Me ? I'm lazy and will go to the Junkyard and collect as many different speedo drives as I can find and go Road Testing , then give away the left overs , some shop always wants them so no wasting of parts .

Don't forget to buy a least one cold 6 pack for the Tranny Shop that told you they had a box full of gears to try .

YMMV etc. .

6. coilover

coilover Member

I have a couple of PG transmissions (aluminum case) for race cars so the speedo drive gear is just extra weight but as Damon stated, the gears are worthless without the rest of the story. Tire size and rear end ratio needed. You could put one of the drive gears on, drive and see how much the speedo is off by using a GPS, and then calculate what driven gear is needed to correct. Only thing is not all drive and driven gears work together so just because you have a drive gear it does not mean it will work with your driven gear. Google "drive and driven speedometer gears" and many hits come up.

7. fielddad

fielddad Member

8. fielddad

fielddad Member

FYI I just installed a speed adaptor that I ordered and it changes the ratio of the speedometer. I gave them the information of my what my speedometer was reading at 60 MPH and it works great for $65.