Lakeroadster's High Country Barn

Discussion in 'Garage' started by Lakeroadster, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

No windows in the doors... I've never been a fan of that. The guy showed up to install the doors on the pole barn and the barn is framed wrong, the header is at 9 foot, was supposed to be 8 foot. I should have caught that.... aarrggh. Oh well, it's just lumber.

So we'll make new headers and leave the existing ones where they are. To put a positive spin.... if I ever want to go to a 9 foot door, it'll already have a header there.

The door guys looked at the doors on my attached garage and are going to quote new doors there.... for next spring.

Happy Thanksgiving Ya'll!

_____
    John ;)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Thanks, John, We all have MUCH to be thankful for!

I noticed your guys have not framed the wall for the windows yet. Are they waiting to get the windows, and then cut and frame?
    The one thing I might consider when I insulate and finish the wall on the side toward the house is adding maybe three quality home type windows. The ones I replaced on the front are good quality windows, bought on sale at Menards.

What is the verdict? Keep the plastic sky-lights?

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

The windows and the man door are located after the steel is hung, this allows them to be centered properly between the high ribs of the steel... or so the contractor stated. Materials are here for them.. just waiting for the guys to hang the steel.

Keeping the skylights... at least for now.

We got a foot of snow over the last 2 nights.... glad the roof is done.

[​IMG]

______
    John :)

4. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Looks cold.
    I like the first few snows of the year. But, only if I'm stuck at home, no trucking.
    Bet it's peaceful, and quiet.
    I've said this many times, but, it's looking good.

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Anybody want to buy a barn?

So the guys come to install the overhead doors last Friday.... but they are 8 ft doors and the building headers are framed at 9 foot. Screw up by the General Contractor.

The guys show up for work today, I tell the GC I'll rework the 3 headers (I'm a hot rodder so headers are right up my alley) so they can hang sheet metal. I keep an eye on the GC and his helper in the morning and they do an acceptable job. A few small scratched here and there, but overall a good job.

After lunch another worker shows up and the GC and the two workers got a lot of work done.... and I got 3/4'ths of the header rework done.

So they are gone and I walk around to look at the work they did after lunch and what a freaking nightmare. Scratches down to bare metal, kinked up panels, screws over tightened to the point of bending the panels, screws that missed their support boards all together.

I call the GC and chew his ass... he said he was expecting the call. Really, why didn't he say something? Then he says he saw it earlier and chewed out the workers. That's BS, I was there all day.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why they did such a crappy job, and of course it's the side by the man door, the one we'll go in and out of, the one I told them to take special care to make look the nicest of the entire barn..... I'll be telling him the steel they hung in the afternoon all needs replaced.

Aarggh.

Update: Attached photo's of the poor workmanship. I helped the GC install the panels on the back of the barn.... it's not rocket science. Just a little care and attention and there aren't scratches. A simple look at the girts before panel placement tells you a lot about screws and when placing screws you don't "drive em home", you run them until they are about to touch, and then finese them by watching how the steel reacts around them.... such that you don't buckle the steel.

_____
    John:mad:

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      393.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      292.4 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      283 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      304.1 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      378.9 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      338.9 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      288.4 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      359.1 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      375.9 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      363.7 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      284.6 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      365.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  6. Zig

Zig Member

Sorry to hear that~ Money spent on bullshit.
    I guess that's why I like doing things myself. I know it will be done right.
    If it's just hanging metal, there are ways to do this that can be done with a crew of one.
    Wish I was there to help.
    I hope he takes the old off and replaces it with new, no charge.
    This is the difference between the craftsmanship in my 1908 home and *anything* built today.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  7. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

John, I would not pay these guys another penny, until every steel panel is replaced!
    What were they, drunk, or doped?
    I just cannot believe somebody would do such crappy work.
    I've said it before, the American work ethic, craftsmanship, and pride is GONE!

SERIOUSLY, Not another dime! And now, the replacement steel will have to come from Illinois.

Reference back a page to the picture I posted of my barn. I replaced the entire front with two replacement windows, BY MYSELF!
    It is not perfect, but the screws are straight and evenly spaced. And I'm not a barn builder, I drive a TRUCK for a living!
    Man, now I'm ANGRY again!!!:mad:

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  8. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

More...
    Sorry John, my rant continues...
    It appears, they just shot in a screw wherever they randomly chose. No straight lines, no pattern.
    When I did the metal on mine, I measured and marked where every screw would go, while the metal was stacked on the skid. Marked with a sharpie, that way when finished, it would look like a rivet line on an airplane wing. That way, every screw went straight in to the center of the girt.
    The Amish crews around here, I am told, have a young boy mark and pre-drill every sheet. Not very hard, when the steel is stacked and he ensures the edge is even. That's a lot of drilling, but, not difficult.
    Most also use drill/drivers to attach the metal. That way, they can set the pressure to not warp the steel.
    As soon as the rubber barely squeezes, STOP.
    I know, I'm preaching to the choir, by posting this here on your thread.
    Man, I've slept on it, and I'm STILL ANGRY!!!:mad:

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  9. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Thanks Steve and Zig.

When the GC showed up today he said he was ordering new steel to replace yesterday's debacle. And the new steel jamb trim for the overhead doors is due to arrive early next week.

I am postponing concrete, electric and the driveway until next spring. I want a quality end product... not something that was rushed to get done.

And no further work will be done on the building until the replacement materials arrive. We moved everything "under roof" and the crew left.

I'll be on these guys like a duck on a June bug from here on out. The GC's a good guy... with any luck all this will merely be water under the bridge.

John

Here's a couple current status photos... as we begin the hurry up and wait mode once again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

_____
    John :cool:

10. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

12-09-2015: Replacement Steel, Snow Retention & Gutters

Replacement steel was hung 12-08-2015.

All holes were drilled 1st, then screws installed. Took a bit longer but it worked much better.

(2) of the panels had damage, scratches down to bare metal. This is going to be replaced in the future.​

Snow Retention Trim & Rain Gutters 12-09-2015

Installed single row of snow retention trim, per manufacturers specification. Good quality heavy construction, should hold up well.

Rain Gutters are 5" and they install level with the roof fascia. I questioned this with the factory and they said that is how Lester has always installed rain gutters. Seems strange to not pitch them... o_O but the way they are made the top back portion of the gutter has a press break'd lip that slides up and sandwiches between the roof panels and the upper soffit trim, thus there is no way to slope them, as supplied, as warranteed.​

With any luck we'll finish installing the remaining trim and steel this week. Big snow storm forecasted for this weekend.

I've stopped trying to schedule deadlines... they are a fools errand at this point.

Building is looking much better... gutters really dress up the front and tie everything together nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

______
    John :rolleyes:

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  11. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

12-10-2015: Man Door Framing and Front Sheet Metal

Made a bit more progress today. Man door framing completed, remainder of front Barn Red panels installed and about 1/3 of the Earth Brown Wainscot steel installed.

Overhead doors are due to be installed tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

_____
    John

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  12. Zig

Zig Member

That really looks great John! Can't wait to see the doors on it!
    You should have ample space for whatever you want.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  13. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

The snow retention trim, and gutters, make the roof look better, IMO. Makes you eyes not focus on the ridge, skylites. Which don't bother me that much, anyway.
    My building never had those snow stoppers. And, man, when the snow lets go, it ROARS!

So, once the doors and windows are in, is that it, until spring?

If that is the case...what will you do with yourself?

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  14. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Yeah, pretty much. I'm looking forward to the down time actually.

12-14-2015 Update: Doors R Us

Overhead door and man door... installed.

Downspouts..... installed.

Wainscot steel..... installed

Still have more trim items to install and the windows are wrong... they were supplied as 4 ft high x 3 ft wide... we wanted 4 ft wide x 3 ft high.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

_______
    John :)

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  15. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

NICE!
    Good looking barn. I like the colors you went with. Insulated overhead doors are nice.
    Looks like you will need several loads of fill. I suppose you could go ahead and get that hauled in and graded.
    Also, start on the wiring? Door openers?

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  16. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Yeah... I suppose. I just figure I'll get a much better job if I hold off until spring.

• Frozen fill dirt...
    • Wiring runs under driveway (dirt / snow / ice / gravel all mixed together tracking into attached garage)
    • Door openers... not sure I'll be doing those this time around.

BV Weather.jpg

It'll happen..... once it's warmer outside.

Until then my Tacoma is happier, as is my trailer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shop doesn't look nearly as big... once it has vehicles sitting in it.
    _____
    John :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  17. Zig

Zig Member

Computer programs are fun, huh? Glad to see you are using it already!

Lakeroadster likes this.
  18. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

So, are you going to go ahead with building the storage decking?
    I'm guessing you've had to put boards under the doors, like Zig, to keep the snow out.
    From the looks of your drawing, you may have to shuffle things a little, to make room for that "Taskforce" Chevy truck project, you need.

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  19. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

01-30-2016: Ye Ole Pole Barn... Done... kinda sorta.

Installed the two "correct" windows and finished up the trim on the barn today. Now we wait for warmer weather for the electric, slab and driveway.

On a scale of 1-10
    • Building framing and structural = 10
    • Steel and trim = 6

Maybe I am just too picky? Looks good though from 50 feet ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

_____
    John

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  20. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Kinda like this?
    [​IMG]

Steve.:D