Steve's 50 re-re-rebuild

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 50 Chevy LS3, May 9, 2013.

1. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve, with lowering blocks out back, you'll be able to tailor your rake easily enough. As far as clearance up front, I'd say measure the clearance on the family sedan, or anything besides a pickup truck or a big rig, and see what you have for clearance. The "family car" sees the same roads the truck will. My guess is 4-1/2" of clearance will be fine. She's not going off-road.

2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I just went out and measured my wife's Honda Accord. It's 6,1/2" to the road. So, I don't know about 4", for the truck...

Meanwhile...this is a little annoying...
    After all this time, I never test fitted the original battery cover in the right floorboard. Just assumed it would fit.
    It doesn't...
    100_5594.JPG
    Guess the Chinaman, die-maker, didn't have an original to use as a model. I can either modify my old one or, purchase a re-pop. cover. Didn't really want to spend another $60, on the new cover.
    Then, there is the question, will the re-pop, fit???

Steve.

3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve,
    Evidently your "family car" is a little higher off the ground than mine! I try to avoid critters on the road whenever possible, although I did have a mishap where a small deer didn't look twice before crossing the road- and never saw the GMC coming.

And as far as a battery cover... You need to look at this issue with your glass half-full, not half-empty. At least you realized it didn't fit BEFORE you took it all apart, blasted the pieces, and then primed, painted and assembled said pieces.

4. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Looking good Steve.

As for the battery cover... WTH? The re-pop folks really missed the mark. IF the modification is as simple as changing the radii on the outside corners I'd be inclined to modify. If it involves changing the embossed areas, I'd throw down the $60.

As for ground clearance... more is always better. About 20 years ago I saw a lowered '50 ish Chevy that got snagged on a manhole cover. It ended up spun 180 degrees, up on a sidewalk, with the front tires pointing in two different directions... stuff gets ugly real quick.

_____
    John

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  5. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve, let us know where you go with this. Everything else is looking great!

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  6. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Sent a message to our host here, to see if they know if their cover will fit the floor pan. If it will, I'll just order a new cover.

Had a free hour today so, I welded the windlace track, and the felt seal retainer in place.
    The windlace track turned out to be sort of difficult. About like welding a foil gum wrapper to 19 ga. In hindsight, I'm thinking some tiny pan-head screws would have been easier...or even some really good glue.

100_5599.JPG
    Somebody better start posting something interesting...I'm down to silly details here...

Just be glad it's not video. I think the shop Hi-Fi was playing "Roy Orbison's Greatest Hits"...
    :D

Steve.

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Could of been worse. Pat Boone doing Little Richard's Greatest Hits.

8. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

There's a name I haven't thought of in a long time. As weird as Little Richard was, I don't think he would even move the needle on a "weirdness gauge" calibrated for 2016, America.

I actually like Orbison. And Elvis. And lately, I've been listening to all the old Eagles stuff. I know,... I'm all over the place. The 1970's and '80s, seem somewhat "wholesome" compared to the crap they're pushing on us today.

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  9. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

We traveled back to the Dayton Ohio area recently. The radio station there I listened to in the late 1970's, WTUE 104.7, is still playing basically the same music as they did in the late 1970's. Amazing!

Steve... I bet you'd like The Traveling Wilbury's..

Zig likes this.
  10. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Probably would like them, John. I read about the group of big name artist's, but, don't remember ever hearing them.
    I stumbled on the video, "Roy Orbison and Friends, Black and White Night", and absolutely loved it. Amazing group of "session" players in that one...

You know, if you traveled I-70, on that trip, you were very close to my place. Should have called...

Steve.

11. Zig

Zig Member

There are a few big named musicians in this group. Click on the link and it should take you to a good little tune of theirs. #cool#

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  12. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Thanks, Zig, That is cool!
    We sure take some cool detours on this forum. Ha Ha.

Anyway, I guess if you buy a reproduction floor pan, you need to buy the repro. batt. cover.

100_5611.JPG

I sent a PM, to our host here, and was promptly sent a response, with pictures. So, I ordered the new one, and here it is.
    That is why we like these guys here at Classic Parts, so much!
    Thanks, again, Ben.

Steve.

Ben@CPOA/TECH likes this.
  13. Ben@CPOA/TECH

Ben@CPOA/TECH Member

14. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

I thought about ya when we were behind some of the truckers who have to drive 10 mph slower than the cars. What's up with that ignorant law?

The wife and I are "Get there and get home" travelers. And as we get older, that seems to be even more true. Maybe catch ya next year, we do the eastbound and down family visitation" boondoggle run every year.

___
    John

15. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

John, trucking associations have argued about how unsafe it is to have traffic moving at such differences in speed, for years.
    Then, you have some large national freight companies that set speed limiters on their trucks to 55-60 MPH. Just ridiculous! Those are the guys that back up traffic for miles.

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  16. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

More mock-up, test fit...

I pulled my inner fenders out of storage and cut and altered them to clear the Fatman front end. I then test fitted inner/outer fenders to the truck to see how everything looks so far.
    I'm very happy with the fit-up, especially, considering the degree of re-build, and customization this truck has gone through.
    Here is a shot of the doghouse clamped and temporarily, lightly bolted on. It sits about the way I expected. I could lower it, with the drop spindles, but, I think I like it as is.

100_5638.JPG
    Here is a pic of the altered inner fender, to clear those tubular control arms. (Sorry to the purist's, here.)

100_5632.JPG
    The inner fenders will be finished, and painted to match the exterior.
    Here is a pic. showing the fit of those 8" American Racing TT2's. I took the dimensions for back spacing from tech. drawings, provided by AME's, Craig Morrison.
    They fit just right, but, I admit, I was sweating it!

100_5637.JPG

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  17. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

And this...
    Also, I found one of the two power steering return line ports has a conflict. Not a big problem, I don't think. Here you see there is room for the truck fan, with about an inch of clearance. I would like to lower the radiator a little if I can. And I'm guessing a custom radiator is in my future anyway.

100_5635.JPG
    I could also move the radiator forward, if I have to.

In two weeks, I plan on a trip to N.S.R.A., Louisville, and this test fit answered some questions I had, before buying some stuff at the show.

I really enjoy the build. I have to admit I'm looking forward to just how this old truck is going to handle, when finished...

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  18. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Thought I better set the hood on, also. Check the fit against the cowl.

100_5644.JPG
    I'm convinced, with the proper shims, and alignment, I'll be able to get proper fit, and gaps.

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  19. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve,
    First... she's coming along! I am enjoying your progress, as there hasn't been much at my house of late. The rubber fills the fenderwell nicely.
    Also, it's hard to tell how much (if at all) the fan shows below the radiator. Obviously, fan-drawn airflow will suffer, and/or you'll need to fab up quite a shroud. Faced with the same issue, I opted to go electric fan. Seeing as you are at this point, what is your plan for heater-hose connections? And bottom-hose at water pump?

20. Zig

Zig Member

Man, that looks sweet!
    I guess old fart itis is setting in on me. I remember the first time a saw a "slammed" old truck and thought, "COOL!"
    Now it has gone to "yawn". I appreciate the amount of work it takes to get it to sit, but...
    The stance your truck has is ride height perfect. (as a truck, of course)
    I'm sure you are getting more excited as the hours go by!
    Thanks for the update, and all the little details will work out just fine.
    Now get 'er done!

And Mike in sunny New Hampshire~ What the heck is up? Hunting? Fishing? You know I have 4 more years before my bed is done so you're coasting? Come on man! I could win the lottery any day now and I'll be done and you'll be sitting there like, "What? What happened?"
    Get after that journey!