Lakeroadster's High Country Barn

Discussion in 'Garage' started by Lakeroadster, Jul 29, 2015.

1. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Having the ability to stay home, and just watch the snow fall, or taking walks, in the extreme "quietness", of the woods, during a heavy snowfall, would indeed be an awesome life.
    I remember that, as a kid.
    Someday, again...

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

That is cool. I've seen those Jeep top lifter, winches advertised in magazines. I've actually tried to lift mine off, by myself, by just getting under it and walking it off. REALLY BAD IDEA! After the visit to the chiropractor, I drafted two other guys to help me.
    I still have my hard top, but, haven't had it on the Jeep for a couple years. I just leave the Jeep put away in the garage in the winter.

Where did you get the space saver bike racks? Those are nice. I would need three of them...

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

As I recall.. Bed Bath and Beyond... in the "Way Beyond" area... :)

4. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Looks real good. Moving the ribs on the metal to vertical is much better. I like the way you took time to frame in the two windows.

I'm guessing a small radiant gas heater would be enough to take the edge off, in such a small space.
    Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  5. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I thought I would post some pics of how I finished the four walls in my shop. Had a brief period in late Nov. to get it done and painted.
    100_5764.JPG
    100_5766.JPG
    100_5767.JPG
    The "garage art" signs are all freebees, given to me by some off the folks I've worked for over the years. Thought I'd hang them up to get them off the floor.

Ok, I'll stop hijacking your thread now...

Steve.
    P.S. I've gotta get a ceiling in...it's 10 degrees outside right now...
    To clarify, I finished the east wall and the rear walls some time ago... Pictured here is the west wall, finished in Nov. Finally FOUR WALLS FINISHED!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Lakeroadster likes this.
  6. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I really think your on the right track, with this idea. My building, with dark colored steel, would get the benefit of the sun's heat from about mid February on. Trouble is, we go for days without any sun.
    My fully insulated walls have turned the building into a large picnic cooler. Easier and quicker to heat, but, if it cools down, it tends to want to hold the cold in. If I can get a full metal ceiling in, it should be much easier to get it warm and keep it so.
    My trusses are clearly marked to indicate a design limit of 1 pound per sq. foot, ceiling load. Pretty light. The 29ga., high rib steel weighs .86 lb. per sq. foot. No room for much insulation without some sort of modification. Probably just add the steel and let it be.

1/2" sanded one side plywood. Primed, and then painted with some free oil base gloss white enamel. If I were to do alot of grinding or cutting or welding real close to the wall, I would probably attach some 4'X8' sheets of diamond plate alum. Just to reduce the fire hazard.

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  7. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

John, do you just push and hold the green micro switch button to lift, or do these lifts have a wired, controller, to lift the vehicle? I assume the lever control is simply a return valve to allow the vehicle to lower.
    Interesting. I would have thought the manufacturer, would have designed a setup like that, in the first place.
    It appears the elec./hydraulic unit is properly equipped with a pressure regulator. So, if the elec. control were to get stuck in the lift position, would the lift cylinders just go to the top, over pressure, and the bypass kick in and allow you to kill power at the breaker?
    What happens if a hyd. hose blows, the vehicle should catch on a safety?
    Does the factory pressure regulator have a tamper resistant seal on it? It should, and I would be surprised if it doesn't.

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  8. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Yikes. Or, pop out just enough to hook the quarter panels, and remove them...

I'm surprised something hasn't happened, and forced the manufacturer to make revisions.

Soon, it should be time to get the fun cars out and blow out the winter cobwebs...

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  9. ClassyMate123

ClassyMate123 Member

good luck on your build. keep up the great work

Lakeroadster likes this.
  10. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Nice detail work. Beveled boards, and modified brackets... Streetrodders can't just leave it plain and store bought...
    I like it.

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Very nice John ;

As mentioned, your attention to details is amazing .

Lakeroadster likes this.
  12. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Back before I got my lift I wanted a way to set a vehicle on the wheels, but lifted up off the ground.

I had a set of wooden ramps my Grandfather had given me back in the 1980's.
    And I had a bunch of 2x material and 1/2" plywood left over from other projects.

So I built these lift boxes... They are screwed together and are hell for stout.

Thy have served me well. Plus there's that neat old school grandpa factor when using them and the ramps.

LB 0000.jpg

LB 001.jpg

LB 002.jpg

LB 003.jpg LB 004.jpg

13. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

That is a really cool picture of your roadster pickup, "in progress".
    Must be a "OHIO", picture?

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  14. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Thanks Steve. Yep, photo is circa 2003 ish from our place on Old National Road. The RPU only had about 5 miles on it when we moved.

In the photo below you can see my hi-tech blasting booth hanging from the ceiling.

These two old Fords are buddies for life..... I wish they could talk.. what stories they would tell.
    200203DSCF0173.jpg 200203DSCF0173.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I did in the middle 1960's ~ where I lived in New Hampshire they had all manner of WWII Military surplus including a HUGE manual lathe that we'd use to turn old farm beams bowling pins and so on into things, kids you know, I made some lamps and others made some nice cups .

I always enjoy seeing the results of your labors .

Lakeroadster likes this.
  16. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

"Scratch build", computer desk.... with precision drawings, huh. I would expect no less from you, John. Wonder what the allowable tolerances are with this wooden wonder? REALLY COOL!

Now, I would like to know the story behind the nice western horse saddle. I never noticed it before.

Steve.

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wow, that's a beautiful computer desk .

I need to find one ere long as the contractor is maybe, possibly finally going to be finished on the burned out house before.........

Well Christmas anyway .

Meantime the $ allotted for 'temporary housing' ran out a while back so my Sweet is paying $3,600 / month for this rental PLUS her house note on a house we've been out of for close to TWO YEARS now.....

Sorry, ranting again .

You would have liked my late step father Lawrence, he was a Yankee Carpenter who built boats in the 40's & 50's and loved tinkering in his wood shop until he couldn't any longer .

I'm sure he'd have loved to learn to use the computer design program you show .

Lakeroadster likes this.
  18. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Good eye Steve! That's my Grandpa's saddle. When I was a kid I spent summers at Grandpa's. He lived about 2 miles from where we lived. I'd ride my 3-speed Huffy there. When Dad died he had Grandpa's saddle hanging out in his pole barn. It was pretty gnarly at that point, the leather was molded and the conches were all rusty. I was lucky enough to claim it.

I did a mild restoration on it and mounted it to a bar stool. We had it in the house... but since Grandpa was a motor head, my barn seemed a more fitting home for it.

19. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Thanks Nate. We're living in a charmed era, yet many folks don't realize it. I'd love to have helped Lawrence learn CAD...... folks that have mechanical aptitude learn it quick... it's almost like an extension of their already God given experience based well honed talents.

Here's the finished desk.... in our home.

002.JPG

20. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

New motion sensing light. Another one of those 5 minute projects that takes 2 hours.

I used some composite decking material as a backer plate to get it mounted correctly due to the cheepo half box the electricians used... and to get it to sit flat due to the rib panels of the steel.

004.JPG 000.jpg 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 003A.JPG 004.JPG