Only way is up!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

You Go, little bro!

Dang son!! I like what I see! No wait, I love what I see! Rattle, rattle, no more?:( I wanted to see a breast painted with nothing but rattle cans!:p

Focus, Zig, git r done. Distractions are right around the corner, i.e. back to school! You've "Wowed me"!

2. Zig

Zig Member

Btw~

I cut the rubber back around the front windshield before I did all this. I was surprised about how pristine the metal and paint was under that 56 year old rubber. I guess the original color was a tan?
    You may also notice the holes in the passenger side back cab corner. They're gone now. ...thanks to duct tape and Bondo!:D
    Yeah, how cheap! I left the tape just a little baggy so the Bondo would ooze inside as well as build up outside. (just a little) It worked GREAT! (I'll post a picture of that tomorrow.)

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Original color was tan?

Could be Miami Sand or Sahara Tan. No where near KC red, white and gold;)

4. Zig

Zig Member

By the way~ I know there are those that plunk bazzillions down on these rigs to get them "right". Here I come with my Bondo and, yes, that is rattle can white over it... Keep in mind- until I thought of using bondo on the roof dents, those holes would have remained holes!:D
    If nothing else, I'll know how to paint a turd by the time I'm done with this!:cool:

5. Zig

Zig Member

As promised!

My "Bondo-magic" corner!:D
    I know, I know. There is a dent that I haven't filled yet. I think I'll leave it as "character". Besides, I doubt it will show much once the cab is back the way it is supposed to be.
    What do you think?

Attached Files:

6. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, ken!

Thanks, Ken. I did a little work today for $$$. Now I'll be buying that beautiful red and clear coat. I can't wait!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  7. f4fantm2

f4fantm2 Member

What do you think?

A better question would be......What will you think a year from now when you've got that beautiful red and clear coat on your truck, and the character's all worn off that dent. Every time you see it, and you will see it, you'll think, "Man, I wished I had fixed that #%*X@ dent back when it would have been easy to do!" And every peckerwood that walks up to your ride will ask about it, too. (Ask me how I know this)

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Home Bodywork

Well ;

I did all this @ home to my '46 way back when and when it was done , I could
    still see grinder marks under the bedside's paint and the shine went off the cab's paint pretty darn quick _but_ it was a work truck after all and _MY_ work truck so although the details did kinda bug me over the next 13 years , I loved that old truck and still miss it (but not the way it leaked in the rain :rolleyes:)

It looks to me like you're doing a good job there , keep up the good work .

9. Zig

Zig Member

update

More pictures of progress. It is SOOO much fun getting it slowly put back together!

The oil filter is what came out of the canister. Great shape, eh?

Attached Files:

• filter.jpg
      filter.jpg
      File size:
      108.8 KB
      Views:
    • e1.jpg
      e1.jpg
      File size:
      179.3 KB
      Views:
    • e2.jpg
      e2.jpg
      File size:
      184.8 KB
      Views:
    • rocket.jpg
      rocket.jpg
      File size:
      210.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  10. Zig

Zig Member

Nah- They'll be to taken away by the IFS!;)

I will fix the dent, I just hadn't done it by picture time. I try to live the same way I tell my students. "Always do your personal best."

11. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Hey Zig,
    I am not checking this forum as much as I use to and had missed your pics till now. It is really looking good. I like the color combo you have on your engine. You creative guys know what to do. If it weren't for my wife all the rooms in my house would be off white. but then, if I had my way all rooms would have a sheet of stainless up to the chair rail and a concrete floor with a drain in the middle. Cleaning would be easy. But I digress.
    The truck will look great. I can't wait to see a picture of you pulling away from the curb with you and your sweet daughter smiling from ear to ear!
    Gater

12. Zig

Zig Member

You've seen the plans of my dream house, huh? I saw somewhere where they even formed seating arrangements out of concrete inside the home!:cool:

Thanks about the colors! I could have come up with a red more close to the color I'll be painting part of it, but we ALL know what color THAT is, right???
    The neatest thing is seeing how cranked up my dad is getting about this! I put the thermostat/housing in today and cleaned out/painted up the water pump and put it back on. Got the fan blades down to metal, painted them black, the pulley gold and the housing red. It looks so neat...
    My mom and dad will be over to see it again tomorrow. I guess he's talked my mom's ear off about what I've done. He hooked me on these back when I was 16. Now I get to repay him!:D

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

House Plans

Are you a meat cutter or something ? :rolleyes:

Just kidding .

-Nate

14. Wolf

Wolf Member

What happened to the 1/2 ton front suspension that you have sitting in front of the truck right now? Maybe the IFS will take a few corners better:D

Looking great though!!! Man you've done a lot of work lately. I may have to schedule another trip to PITT to see your truck!!!

bw

15. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

Looking great is right!

Lots of fun for you, Zig! It's nice to have the time in the summer to get going on this stuff (I am also a teacher).

Bob

16. Zig

Zig Member

I knew there was a reason...

This has been one of those summers where it's been darn near all school stuff...
    9 hours at PSU and workshops for my new district.:(

Next year for sure!;)

17. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

Summers off??

Yessiree Zig, I know what you mean...9 hrs is a bit much for trying to relax a little over the summer!

Your progress on the truck is still pretty cool. Enjoy it all you can!

Bob

18. Wolf

Wolf Member

Paul any update on what you have done to the truck lately. Just wondering how things have been going with you lately. Summer is approaching fast... any big plans for the truck this summer or will you be working on the garage for the truck:cool:

Anyways just checkin in;)

An update on my beautiful 3/4 ton GMC:cool: got the brakes working great, i had to bleed adjust... drive, bleed and adjust, but now the pedal is high and tight. those old huck brakes are working great now:D

19. Zig

Zig Member

Ohhhhhhhh STOP ME!!!

No~ wait~ I do a good enough job of that the way it is!

Brian, GLAD to hear the truck is stopping for you. Now get that door on there and drive it down here so I can put you to work!:D

Truck is on semi hold until I finish its new home! I'm getting anxious to "get 'r done", but as usual, patience is in order. What with school, finances, and my daughter... Well, it WILL get done someday.

I finally got the progress pictures uploaded, so here you go!;)

Attached Files:

20. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Paul:
    Picture on the left: Are you cleaning out draft tubes again??