radiator install HELP!!!!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Aaron J, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Aaron J

Aaron J Member

OKay, so I bought a radiator off EBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...egoryZ33602QQitemZ380178934101#ht_1522wt_1167

It does not fit!! It is too thick and cannot get passed the fan, I even took the fan blades off and it sill cannot clear where the where the fan mounts too. What can I do? I dinged the fins up a bit and I am not sure they will give me a refund now.
    Some buddies told me I could put a electric fan shroud in instead, but what would I have to do to the pullies that spin my alternator? and would I still have clearance issues with the electric fan attached?

and if I do have to order a new radiator, does the one that CP sells an exact size fit?
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

Wrong water pump?

I think you have the long water pump on your 235. Found on trucks after 54 and 55.1.

Here's a photo of my 54 water pump on my 56 model 235 found in my 54 truck.

Jim

Attached Files:

3. chucks48

chucks48 Member

our host sells a shorter pump/pulley for trucks with a 235 for increased fan clearance.

4. Aaron J

Aaron J Member

ahhh...i think that is exactly the problem, I found a short shaft water pump from CP for $160. Is this something that maybe an Autozone would carry if I took them the old one to match up? The ebay seller emailed me back and said he would refund, but has never had a complaint with clearance issues on his radiators. Another radiator would cost me close to 200 more then the 200 I spent already, so I think I will just keep it and spend that money on the water pump. Thanks for the reply, helped me out a lot.

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Try mounting it on the backside of the mounting surface. You may have to do some slight trimming on the latch panel, but if done right it shouldn't be obvious. Try to mount it first to make shure it works, then mke a template out of cardboard if you need to cut. At least this way you don't have to set out anymore cash. $200 for an aluminum radiator is a steal.

6. Aaron J

Aaron J Member

That is what I am gonna have to do, i just took out the water pump and slid the new Rad down there and even with the short shaft pump, I think I will still have clearance issues. I tried sliding it down the backside and it doesn't go down but I think I can make this work with some mods. My girlfriend bought this rad for an early xmas present and I would hate to have to tell her she wasted her money.

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Remember, we are hot rodders.....we make things work where they aren't supposed to. Don't be afraid if you have to cut the cross brace in front of the rad. out. Just weld in some corner braces or something.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wow !

You STOLE that radiator ! :p

You'll have to use the short shaft water pump and prolly the pulley off a 390 C.I. brand 'F' , that's what I'm using and it's still really close ! no room for
    a fan atall .

Your friend is right , get a big electric fan and wire it up using a relay and wire it live , your engine will love you for that , you'll love the cool & quiet operation .

9. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Aaron J

If the radiator has the same mesuarements as the old one it should fit right in, If not, use the short water pump like Nate advices and tweek the fanblades a bit so it goes clear with the pulley. If it is 235 Ci engine from 53 or 54 it would`nt any give problems , you can use your old pump . But if the engine whas made in 55 and up you must do the changes installing another shortshaft pump. The original 55 waterpump has an much longer pulley.
    Patrick`s gives you the needed advices on its website how to do it. Most vendors sell the short waterpump. Carter is offering an adaptor plate when want to do the change. This requiers that you must drill new holes in the front off the block.

Good luck Martinius.

10. Aaron J

Aaron J Member

can you give me a link to Patricks?
    thanks

11. sonny42

sonny42 Member

Aaron

If you will look at your first picture you will notice that the mounting flange is not in the same place on the new radiator.Looks like if you would change the flange to match the old one that you would not have to change pumps.It would sure be easier and cheaper.Hope this helps

12. Aaron J

Aaron J Member

Thats an option too. Looking at it again, it is way off on the angle. I decided against cutting in to the radiator support carriage to make it fit, I will work on the rads flanges instead, maybe even put them all the way to the edge and flush to make the rad sit farther into the grill i have some room there. Upon research, I found I already have the short shaft water pump. Not having seen the standard and short compared, I assumed I had the standard. So I got all the clearance i can get from there.
    POS radiator!! I thought this was gonna be a plug and play evolution! This is the only thing keeping me from tearing around town droppin' panties and scarin' grannies!!

13. chucks48

chucks48 Member

Just dont drop any grannie pannies.

14. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Hey Aaron

What i did when installed the new radiator whas;
    I took out the radiator support out (with the cross) turned the inside out and cut a peace out from the bottom. Now sink your radiator on the wanted level it gives about 5-6 cm extra to go on. You have now the possabillety to adjust the radiator even better, lower it in the support . Remind the pepcock in front of your radiator, you need some clearing there to make it possable closing and to open it.

Easy peasy done Martinius.

http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/

15. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    I'm glad you can make this work, cause tellin' your girlfriend you messed up her Christmas present ain't gonna help your chances of any extra Christmas treats!

PS Don't forget there is a small rubber anti-vibration piece that fits between the radiator and the frame for a couple bucks from our sponsor. Happy Holidays!

Flashlight

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

well ;

Not everyone here is still a yoot :rolleyes:

:p

17. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

SWMBO's youngest daughter is going to have "the blessed event" in 4 weeks. So, does that make me exempt?:rolleyes:;):D

18. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Ken, I don't see why not...if your feeling Yootful enough!

Flashlight

19. alfonso

alfonso Member

HI guys, what happen when you use the short pulley? the diameter of the short one is smaller,then going to turn faster the fan blades? is this ok ? if not, do I have to change the other pulley(harmonic balancer)?
    thanks
    Alfonso

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Short Shaft Pulley

This is why you're supposed to go find an old Brand 'F' big block (390) pulley....