Bedwood hinge ?

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Bobby 57, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

Saw this at the Temecula rod run today. One strip of the bed wood was hinged and electric motor drivin to access the gas cap under the bed .Any body have an idea on who makes this ? picture number 4 shows the hinge but not very well.
    Thanks Bobby

Attached Files:

2. coilover

coilover Member

You can buy this set up from maybe Rocky Hinge or a similar supplier. If it's not them they probably know who does offer it. The $400 plus price was a little much for us so we make our own using fuel door hinges off of two 85-95 (??) T-Birds or Cougars that had the same body style for years. Also the electric release from one of them. If you look closely at the photo you can see a plain old screen door spring running to the back side of the rear hinge that pops the board up when the release button in the glovebox is pushed. Has worked for years for about a $20 investment. The raised board looks warped in the photo but it's not really.

Attached Files:

3. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

Glad to see back yard engineering still exists.I found a place in Kentucky that has it fo $575.00 .I can think of better ways to spend that kind of $$$.
    Thanks for the info Evan I think this will work and more reasonable.
    Bobby

4. gwoods

gwoods Member

I'm doing this to my pickup; what do you think of a wider opening. not 2 boards wide but 1 board twice as wide with a skid strip down the center and the tapered sides like yours has. I need a wider opening to install and remove the battery and my brake M/Cylinder is in line with the filler spout. hopefully the wider door will lay flat the way it's supposed to. Appreciate any thoughts

5. coilover

coilover Member

I would think a wider board with a matching wider board on the opposite side would work The spring only has to raise the board high enough to get fingers under and not pop all the way open. I would consider the much lighter pine boards over oak as it would make the raising much easier. Truck pictured has lightly stained pine but it can be much darker.

6. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

So how does this work when you have "stuff" loaded into the bed?

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Beds like that don't get "stuffed".

8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Who said stuffed?

"Hang on, I need to take the coolers, lawn chairs and canopy out of the truck so I can get some gas."

Ah crap!
    What's wrong?
    Gas just dripped on my bed boards!

The other problem with this design is you have to point the gas nozzle straight down, which can be tricky to do without gas dripping out.

I guess opinions vary. With some planning and thought a more practical solution can be had.

_______

John

9. coilover

coilover Member

As John said this set up is not suited to a "using" truck but where is everyone's imagination. PROBLEM; gas tank here and need fuel filler out of the way.
    SOLUTION(s):

IMG_4572.JPG IMG_4214.JPG IMG_4215.JPG car show, Gerald's 020.jpg car show, Gerald's 021.jpg