52 GMC New Rims!!!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Wolf, Jan 17, 2010.

1. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Still runnin' the original 17" factory rims on both my '49 & '54 3/4 ton trucks with no problems .

Attached Files:

2. Zig

Zig Member

Uh huh~

He always has his wife check and air them up, also...;)

BANG!!!!

:rolleyes:

3. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Nothin' wrong with the original 3 piece rims... as long as they are not rusted & none of the parts are mismatched or bent & they are assembled properly.

Been cruisin' on them for years with no problems.

As A matter of fact.....Just prepped 6 original rims for my '54 2 ton
    Will be installing new 8.25 X 20 tires, tubes & flaps on them in a few weeks.

Attached Files:

4. Wolf

Wolf Member

Your tie rod end looks a bit different then mine, I think??? I will have to go check mine when I get a chance. I will try to get some pics of mine. Mine are not that close. I even have the balance weights on the inside of the rim and I still have clearance! I will try to get to them tonight or soon for ya! Sorry they don't work out. Looks like a spacer is the way to go! If those part numbers are the same then I don't know :confused:

5. Fern53

Fern53 Member

I would really appreciate if you could. As far as I know my tie rod/ends are original, but who knows. It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't. :eek:

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

I like the split rims if I'm doing the work myself, but these new tire people are afraid of them and want to charge at least 20$ a tire to change them.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  7. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

The 3 piece split rims are no problem to mount & maintain.....
    The 2 piece rims are called "widow makers" & those are crap rims.

You may have problems finding any tire shops that will work on split rims in the L.A. area but..... there are alot of tire shops around here that actually like workin' on 'em.

Will post more pictures on the proper assembly process on my 3 piece splits next week when I head up to the shop.

8. Wolf

Wolf Member

Sorry busy weekend. I will try to get you those pics tonight. Hopefully you can get this figured out! I hope they will work for ya. If you need a spacer, you need a spacer! shouldn't be too much work gettin one

About those split rims. I physically took my rims into several shops and all of them said they would work on split rims on the phone, they just had to see them. They were all big semi truck shops that work on those rims all the time.
    Anyways I took mine in and they all said nope, not those! Hence why I did what I did!

F

9. Fern53

Fern53 Member

Well, it looks like I won't have to use spacers after all. I am switching over to the 1 ton tie rod and ends. Since they are the more modern style they are rounded at the end and are shorter than stock. Overall it will cost a bit more than spacers would have, but it is definitely a better solution.

[​IMG]

10. Wolf

Wolf Member

Im so sorry I haven't got you the pic. Looks like you have it all figured out!!! I have been so busy, I haven't even had a chance to look at this forum for a while. I will need new tierod ends someday, and will follow your route here. So then I may have some questions on that! Looks good though! Again sorry for the delay

11. Zig

Zig Member

We won't forgive you, Brian. Sorry, but that's how it is.

12. Wolf

Wolf Member

understandable. Hopefully this makes up for it!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Wolf

Wolf Member

oh and one to make it up to ya Zig!!!

See that long motor!!! OH yeah:D:D

[​IMG]

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

OO-Wee !

Drool....

*pant*pant*pant* .

Sorry guys ! I have SERIOUS ' Long Motor Envy ' issues .

:rolleyes:

:p

15. Fern53

Fern53 Member

Wow, that end just clears the wheel :eek:. No worries about the delay, I am just happy that I have new wheels :cool:. Autozone can order new (made in the USA) ends for $20 ea and NOS 1 ton tie rods can be had for $60. Compared to the alternatives I think it is money well spent.

16. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Turns out that the original 3 piece split rims are not scary at all....

As long as you know a tire guy that knows what da hell he is doin' & ain't afraid of his own shaddow
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Wolf

Wolf Member

Fern: Thanks for the info on the tie rod ends. Mine are original as far as I can tell, and my steering is a little wondering not bad, but a little.

DZT:
    Sweet big truck ya got there!!! I thought that mine would be ok also, but I just kept taking it to truck shops that said they would do split rims. But every one told me they would, not just the ones I have. Oh well, now I don't have to worry about flats, I can just go anywhere and get it fixed! A big plus for me as I drive it a lot!:D

18. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Thanks Guys for the wheel info. I'll use it myself when it's time to put shoes on my GMC. I learned a lot about what wheels to get. I have changed the tie rod ends on mine, and will order the wheels with '0" offset. Shouldn't have any problems that way. Been to the Dexstar site, too. Got a while to make my GMC go again.

19. spika

spika Member

Hey Wolf...I see you have one pic with the spare running-board-mounted. Have you left it that way? I'm thinking of doing that on my 3/4 ton GMC, and am searching for a source of a metal (or fiberglass, if I have to) cover to enclose it there. Ever seen that done?

20. Wolf

Wolf Member

yeah i have left mine that way. I haven't thought about a cover for that, but i bet that would look cool if done right;) I like mine just sitting there. It is a rim that Zig gave me!!! Looks cool there with the rest of my truck i think anyways:) Glad to see another GMC 3/4 ton! Full oil pressure baby