What GMC Truck Guys Do!!!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Wolf, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Wolf

Wolf Member

All I thought you would appreciate this. I have and will be doing a lot of landscaping around the house so I figured why not put the GMC 3/4 ton to work! And boy did I. I also have a 96 toyota T-100 for my daily driver, and it got some work too, just not as much as the GMC!!!

Now for the work...
    1st load of compost, 1 cubic yrd, weighing in at approximately 1 ton!
    2nd load of pea gravel, 1 cubic yrd, weighing in at approximately 1.5- 2 tons! Now this load really did squat the truck down. I actually had it sitting on the helper load springs. Now from what I have found my truck seems to have a 5.14 rear gears, top speed ~50MPH maybe 55MPH.

the 228 GMC motor is fantastic!!! With the low low gears, and the 4 speed, the truck honestly didn't drive any different, just hunkered down and pulled with no problem. I had no problem pulling uphill going 45 mph!

I did downshift more and slowed down for lights and things. The truck rode like a cadillac!! So so smooth! Got 4 people at 4 different lights when I was driving through town that asked me what yr it was and thought it was cool that i was using it for work!

The guys at 2 different landscape stores looked at me and said are you sure that your truck can handle this.... I smiled and said oh yeah just look underneith;) They did and both said "OH YEAH THAT IS SOME HEAVY DUTY SPRINGS!!!"

Now on to the pics:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Good thing Ken's 50 is a Chevy, else it might have to do some real work (or today go out in the rain).

3. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Any trouble stopping?

4. Wolf

Wolf Member

nope not a bit of trouble. Mind you I still have my huck brakes too. The peddle is high and tight!! I just took my time downshifted, and then used the brakes. The brakes worked just fine! I was very impressed with the huck drums setup, no fadding or anything;)

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

*snif*

Yer makin' and old man proud there Wolf .

6. Wolf

Wolf Member

Nate I was hopin that you would enjoy!!! Truck sounded great too!! Love the sound of that smooth I6 straight out the back

Had a blast driving it around fully loaded, just pulled like a dream

7. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Empty they humm... loaded they sing!

8. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

You need to post that on the real trucks at work thread.....

9. willardgreen

willardgreen Member

Working

Hi Wolf
    Thanks for the picthers. This really is what the GMCs were built for ;) and Chevys are for their good looks:p.
    Willard

10. Zig

Zig Member

Manly Trucks

Way to go, Brian! Ya make me proud! :cool:
    I guess with a top end of 55MPH, you won't be coming this far south. I will be stopping by whenever I head up to see my brother, however.
    How'd the temp do? Did it make it much past 180?

11. Wolf

Wolf Member

That sure is the truth gater!!! it just sung right along and pulled no problem!!!
    Those straight pipes sound great, not too loud at all

I will do that for sure thanks Chebby!!!

Very nicely put;)

Paul, i prolly won't be making the trip for a while anyways;) i am hoping someday to swap out the rear for something more like 4.10 or 3.43, or 3.73, something i can at least go 65 in and still have some room.
    Not sure what my temp gauge has been doing lately. When I first got the new gauge in it didn't go much over 100F, everything worked fine. Then all of a sudden it starts at like 180 when cold and goes to 200 or 220F, But it has never once over heated. Not sure whats going on with the gauge. Back a few weeks ago when the temp was over 110 and the heat index was 120F I drove the snot out of the truck and it never overheated, in traffic and in the open road going 55mph!!

Oh well on my list of to-do's!
    Fix my leaking transmission, leaking rear wheel axle seals, and the leaking engine oil pan. Then start to attack my few grease zerks that don't take grease! Oh and I just crossed one off, had to adjust my clutch, now it shifts into gear a lot easier!

12. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

How long ago did you get that temp guage? It appears that Counterpart may have had a bad batch, I just had 2 do that, out of the 4 that I installed in the 53.

13. Zig

Zig Member

Guess I'll stick in the candy thermometer and see what it says. I like Brian's attitude. If I don't see steam, I'm driving this thing!
    Course I have a 350 in the wings if my 228 locks up~ HOWEVER...

14. Wolf

Wolf Member

I think that I got the gauge a year or so ago. I would have to check and see for sure. Good to know its a problem else where too. I will try to remember to look when I got it. I wonder if they would replace it for me.

As Paul said earlier. Im really not to concerned, as no steam! I still have a 0lb cap and system. The truck runs the same before when it was showing like 110F as when it shows 220F. Heater heat felt the same, nothing else changed

15. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

Gotta be gratifying

to use the old beast for some real work. seemed appropriate to go old school on this picture.

Attached Files:

16. ccharr

ccharr Member

That is one great photo,

However, is there a reason you have not put braces on the buck toothed baby? :confused:

I have seen women with less of an over bite pick corn through a picket fence.:eek:

Ohh, having a senior moment there, that is a G isn't it.

17. Wolf

Wolf Member

Gypsy, i love that pic, there is also an antique look that is basically brown and white, instead of black and white! I may just have to do both;)

Charles, that is to funny. I know it just boils down to that l-o-n-g motor envy;) so its all good, now you gotta get the 1 ton out and loaded up!!!

18. ccharr

ccharr Member

Wolf,

Gypsy's truck looks great no matter which process is used to make the photo.

All the G's have that buck tooth problem and that is nothing to be ashamed of, we understand.
    Kind of like having the sister that Dad dropped more than once, and they never fixed the druppie eye for her, hoping her 4th or 5th husband would pay for it.

As far as long envie goes 9ft bed is where it is, the truck has hauled supplies and building materials more than once into the outback of the Az. Desert and back home.

It is nice seening all the trucks work and haul more than the newer ones.

19. Zig

Zig Member

Hidden message, I think

Hey Brian, (and other GMC owners)

Ya notice that whenever Charles types the infamous G his is a green shade?

I believe that is the envy thing he is doing without even knowing it. Yup~ GREEN with envy. :D :rolleyes: :p

That's okay~ we understand. :cool:

20. ccharr

ccharr Member

No matter how you twist it, the G

need braces for that Buck tooth .