New engine !

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by vwnate1, Jan 15, 2012.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

O.K. , so it's a used 1960's vintage but it is the vaunted 292 CID Long Stroke thinwall engine the current crop of wanna bee's are all hot for .

I was at the local Hot Rod Auto Swapmeet last Sunday in Long Beach , found the original air cleaner for my '69 C/10 and this kindly older Gentleman had some blurry pix of various junk too heavy to bring , including what looked like maybe a 292 L6 engine complete from fan to tranny .

I was lucky no one else bothered to follow up on it , he had no idea what it was other than it was removed from some truck to install a V-8 years ago and then abandoned in his shop and he wanted rid of it - My big brother and I drove to Paramount yesterday morning & walked past the derelict '55 Task Force Panel truck , around the disassembled 'A' Model Brand 'F' truck on the pallet rack and yanked off the tarpaulin and lo - there it was ! complete with carby , air cleaner and Muncie SM465 tranny , it's been sitting for years and only makes a 1/2 revolution before sticking so I imagine there's some rust or a mouse nest in one cylinder but he was happy to take the $100 I offered him for it ~

It's now home and I'm looking for an engine stand to bolt it to so I can begin .

:) very pleased am I .

Yes , this time I took pictures but on an iPad and I have no idea how to down load them yet.....

I took some pix of the new Cacti Charles provided me with too .

Stay tuned .

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Congrats Nate, but ....

... I thought you had given up on 3 pedal trucks.

3. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Anybody seen Ken?

He must have been really, really old and senile if you thought he was a kindly older gentleman.;) lol Wait, has anybody seen Ken? He must have wandered off again.:p

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Ken was at my house last weekend helping me get my truck ready for transport to a tranny shop. He seemed to be OK then, at least as compared to how he usually is.:)

5. fab51

fab51 Member

Man...Nate always the best luck finding stuff like that. One of the benefits of living in SoCal, I guess...

6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Three Pedal Trucks

I did ~ the complete Muncie and flywheel etc. will be sold off to defray costs....

It alone is worth more than I paid for everything .

Yes , I find this stuff because I'm out and about instead of sitting behind my 'puter all day long..... I walk abandoned junkyards and swim through the Mojave Desert , I don't worry about scorpions , black widow and brown recluse spiders as I just squish 'em with my thumb , so far no hanta virus in spite of lots of mouse poop etc..........

You'd be amazed at how much stuff is out there right near YOU no matter where you live ~ the trick is , beating the bushes and finding it .

8. ccharr

ccharr Member

Was in Nate's neighborhood today so I stopped by and took some photos of the cactus, could not stay to long had to get to an appointment and get back home. Found Nate home and busy working on cleaning out a gas tank for one of his projects.
    The last photo is Nates truck with the 292 in the back.

Attached Files:

9. fab51

fab51 Member

The salvage yards I used to frequent have been visited by the crusher. There was one in particular that I spent a lot of time in. The old guy who ran it got sick. His wife had the employee pull the desirable 9" F-type rear ends, GM TH350's etc and crushed everything else. It is just open field now. Makes me want to cry thinking about it. Tons of great 40's - 60's vintage iron. :(

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thanx charles !

For those who don't know , that's me in black , shaking the beejeebers out of an old yellow Moto tank that was incredibly rusty and gooey with 25 year old dried fuel .

My new truck isn't really that blurry....... :p .

The Cacti looks rather nice , don'cha think ? .

11. spika

spika Member

You're in Pasadena, Nate? I was just down in Barstow not that long ago...think I drove by Pasadena if I remember right. Will probably be going back down there again sometime in the next few months...if so, will try to schedule a stop there to see you and anyone else from here in the neighborhood...

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Progress

I forgot to mention I pulled the spark plugs yesterday , the # 2 one had some funny looking stuff on it , the others all looked fine and not very old , as the engine only makes a 1/2 revolution before sticking , I filled all the cylinders with fresh Diesel Fuel and put 'em back in , that oughta free it up for the test run....

Unless it's near perfect , I'll open it up and replace the pistons , fit gapless piston rings and replace the bottom end bearings , always good to keep an oldie in tip top shape for years to come .

I also backed off the 230's ignition timing to TDC , that's what the book calls for and I'd been running 4° BTDC but it had an irregular miss @ idle , now it seems to idle much smoother , I wonder if it's just the worn out valve guides or what .

Come on by and we'll get coffee.....

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  13. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

Nice Pics! Whos the fella in the hat?

14. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

Also the pictures remind me a little of Mr. Miyagi's house in the Karate Kid. He also happens to favor the old chevy truck like us!

[​IMG]

Wait a sec, could this be Nates place?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Here It Is !

Let's see iff'n I can do this :

Attached Files:

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Other Side

Well that's odd ;

I can clearly see more pictures on the iPod than will show up on the computer....

17. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

This is a test!

Let's see if these are legible!

wiring diagram 1 001.jpg

wiring diagram 2 001.jpg

wiring diagram 3 001.jpg

wiring diagram 4 001.jpg

Hard copy of all 4 in the mail to you!

Ken

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wiring Diagrams

TERRIFIC ! thank you very mych , I can't wait to get the hard copies .

:)

I'm dragging my bum in bed all day , got a head cold :( .

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Saturday

Whew , I'm beat ;

Jr. came by and we went off to Harbor Freight and bought a little dolly , oops ~ shoulda bought the bigger one methinks :rolleyes: .

The street is seriously crowned by my driveway so I just back up until the wheels were in the dip and the bed was as low as it can go ~ then we struggled , dropped it once , tipped it on it's side twice but no discernable damage and only a little bit of oil spilled , now it's in the yard on the dolly , on cement , as soon as I feel a bit better I'll go see if the Diesel Fuel loosened up the sticky cylinder and set about making it run .

I spent most of the day on SWMBO's sofa feeling the pain and wishing this cold would hurry up and go away .