GMC all the way!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Wolf, May 17, 2012.

1. Wolf

Wolf Member

Nate, you are the man!

I just got done spending the afternoon on my truck. Took off of work at noon today, drove the truck around to get the oil super hot. Went to the hardware store to get some small things, couldn't get out of the parking lot. 5 guys stopped me to talk about my cool old truck!!! It was great:D

Anyway, so I got the oil nice and hot, came home and changed the oil. While that was draining, I jacked up the rear end and readjusted the rear brakes. Then moved on to the fronts. I went 2 clicks back from the resistance. Peddle is so high and tight now! Back to where it needs to be.

I finished up the oil change and pulled the plugs. They looked great! I re gaped the to .040" I had them at .035" I put a few drops of oil on the dist below the rotor, and turned in the grease plug thing on the side 1/4 a turn.

Topped off the steering box with gear oil, checked the rear diff, and the trans. Then topped off the brake fluid, from the adjustment. Put some shots of grease in all zerks, and checked the tire pressure.

What a fun day;) Nate I swear my truck has more pep now with the larger gap on the plugs. Thanks for that tip!!!

I then took it out for a drive afterward with my wife and son. Fantastic day;)

Just thought I would share:D

2. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, Brian!

I was beginning to wonder if you were trying to pull a brit50 on us! Glad to hear all is good and that sweet GMC is rolling right along! (And your son is two feet taller?) :p

3. Wolf

Wolf Member

Nope Im still around! Just busy lately. I guess I have to work right?:)?

4. Raz76

Raz76 Member

I hope I can do that soon.

5. Zig

Zig Member

I guess~

I hear this helps pay for parts. I'm just glad you slowed down enough to fill us in. ;)

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You're Welcome

But remember :

YOU did all the work .

Me , I couldn't even get out of bed to make it to a nice slow Friday of work to - day :mad: .

I hope this dang sciatica B.S. gets better soon .

DRIVE that JIMMY and make America proud ! .

7. Wolf

Wolf Member

Nate sorry to hear, I hope that it gets better soon. I felt like I had you in my ear the whole time I was working on it. Especially doing the plugs and adjusting the brakes. I could just hear you saying see I told you that it would run better;) and if you have to run the huck brakes, you best keep that peddle as high as you can!!!

Another fun story, a nice guy stopped by the other day, and my truck is going to be in a wedding! Just as a back drop for some of the pictures. His daughter said she wanted an old truck in some of the pictures.
    He said that we could take a few pics with it if we would like to. so I think we will get some shots with it as well. Should be a fun weekend

8. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Sounds like the truck might get a ...wait for it!! "Bowtie too"

9. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

^ Hahahahahaha!!!! Good one, Flashlight.

Damon

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sweet !

The gratification & reward of having you truck used in any way , is priceless and shows how much your hard work was the right thing to do .

Sorry about the whining & carping , this thing is really bad ~ I woke up my sweet several times last night screaming in pain ~ only to see her sweet face looking at me , fear etched all over it . this sux beyond belief .

11. Wolf

Wolf Member

Naw I don't want to do that my oil pressure will drop off by 75% right away:D
    All in good fun of course light;)

Thanks Nate!!! Its fun to have someone like the truck. Most ask me when I'm going to finish it, I just say Its done!!! I can drive it safely up and down the road, be it only at 45MPH, but thats enough for all the side roads around here. Highway, naw, that was scary, I did that once never again. Cars going 70-75 around me, not fun.

Its fun talking driving around thats for sure. My sister got my son a book called the little blue truck for his 1st bday. It is his favorite book. Its fun because he can go outside and see the real thing!!! He just points at it and says truck. He loves to stand on the seat and honk the horn. Just so much fun.

Anyway I'm done bragging about my son. Just some fun stories. ;) Thanks fella's

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oops

I just noticed you adjusted the brakes when they were hot ~ that's a bad thing as the drums contract a fair bit when they cool down .

I only adjust brakes when they're stone cold .

Never stop bragging on your children unless they do a bad thing deliberately then put your foot in , they'll remember and not do it again .

13. Wolf

Wolf Member

I didn't get to adjusting the brakes until they were cold, heck the plugs were even cool when I got to em;) I took my time, greased some things, and just let the oil slowly drip out.

Truck is still running great. Brake peddle is still high and tight. Still liking my huck brakes