an introduction and my project

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by bonvo, Jun 29, 2008.

1. bonvo

bonvo Member

yeah i have the lugs and the plastic lugs the main issue is the axle hubs are to long and the lug nuts to make them work are metric not standard

2. kabwe

kabwe Member

Hey Nice project. I working on a 55 Big Window myself. You can take a look at the link in my signature.

3. bonvo

bonvo Member

oh i know you we have talked on cardomain yours started as a 58 right? your making it the 55 to match the belair definatly a sweet ride man

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  4. kabwe

kabwe Member

Yeah thats me. Thanks for the comment on my ride. I thought I saw your user name before. Looks like you build is going well.

5. bonvo

bonvo Member

yeah its going good slow but good its getting close to the point where i can drive it my main goal is make it drivable so i have a truck then later in life ill hot rod it

6. bonvo

bonvo Member

bringing this back from thread death progress has come to almost a complete stand still due to an accedent january 15 2009 my other car my 76 datsun 610 was t-boned and distroied

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got tore up to
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so i ended up building another one
    started with
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

current
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

full build found here a long read but a well documented build expect the same with the truck
    http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3434-610-street-demon-resurection/

i have been collecting parts for the truck all the while and should start work on it soon

7. bonvo

bonvo Member

also a question is it possible to put the rear axle on top of the leaf springs? i would like to bring the whole truck down a little but dont have the cash to do suspension swaps yet

8. kieth

kieth Member

radiator

I got a replacement radiator brand new 3 row core copper from Rock Auto for $175.00 I could not find one for less that 350.00 anywhere else. Good luck with your project. Kieth

www.rockauto.com

9. babailey

babailey Member

It is definitely possible to mount the axle above the springs, This should give you about a 4 inch drop in the read. Look at Classic Performance Parts, http://www.classicperform.com/

I will be doing this to my modified truck next month. I am still looking for a set of new leaf springs near me so I don't have to pay huge shipping.

10. bonvo

bonvo Member

well finally got it out of the back yard hopfully there will be more progress soon im trying to get it ready for my move to oregon so i dont have to trailer it biggest thing i need is a radiator i posted a parts wanted thread but have gotten no reponces yet anyway here are some pics from today

my friends steve and jason helped me push the "big bitch"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Task Force Radiator

It's hard to imagine not being able to find a TF radiator as these trucks are scattered all over the Desert...

Did ja try Turlock ? .

I'm sure you'll find one in Ore. , lotsa old rigs up there .

You'll miss the Ca. taxes tho' :rolleyes: (or , not !) .

Your truck is looking good .

12. bonvo

bonvo Member

im sure i could find one up there but i want to drive it up there and use it to move shit if possible

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Radiator Sourcing

O.K. then , go 'round to all the local radiator shops in the Barrio , last time I did this with my '49 , I fould quite a few 50's vintage Chevy radiators that had been abandoned and amazingly , the shops wanted to sell for $75.00 each with new cores and perfect original tanks .

Do you have your old one ? .

Joe , (" Mother Trucker " ) on this forum , will have a god used original one for you if you ask him , he's honest & fair , I buy parts from him with no worries , just be clear as to what you want & expect .

I'm trying to remember the radiator factory on Washintob Blvd. in L.A. , mayve Vernon , that makes brandy new one right here in AMERICA ,top quality bot about $300.00 IIRC , that's only a bit more than having your original tanks re - cored .

My '49 came to me with a brand 'F' Granada crossflow radiator turns 90° in it ~ I had to get rid of that embarrasing crap ASAP but , it worked well , there's one option if you go to Pick-A-Part junkyard.......

I'm trying to gove you ideas & options here .

(BTW : I tried & tried to give that good radiator away to some poor hard up person but NO ONE would touch it so I bashed it to scrap and tossed it into the scrab bin)

14. bonvo

bonvo Member

im looking around i was told a re core would cost me $350 im gonna look in the bone yard for somthing with similar dimensions and fab it in

15. bonvo

bonvo Member

well i did some work to her today not alot but i replaced the ballast resister and took a grease gun to every grease fitting on the ubderside of the truck ( holy hell theres alot of them) took some pics to show you guys what im dealing with

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

looking from the front axle
    [​IMG]

my "exhaust hanger" installed by a PO
    [​IMG]

mickey mouse wiring
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

master and lines that i dont want to deal with they have a nice amount of rust going on
    [​IMG]

and just cause i cleaned it
    [​IMG]

16. bonvo

bonvo Member

i think ive decided on the final power plant for this i think im going to go duramax diesel it will have plenty of power for whatever i do with this thing and i can run it on french fry oil and not hurt the environment and keep money in my wallet

[​IMG]

Specifications

* Engine type: 6,599 cc (402.7 cu in) V8 turbo
    * Bore x Stroke: 4.06 in (103.1 mm) x 3.90 in (99.1 mm)
    * Block / Head: Cast gray iron / Cast aluminum
    * Aspiration: Turbocharged & Intercooled
    * Valvetrain: OHV 4-V
    * Compression: 17.5:1
    * Injection: Direct; Bosch High Pressure Common-rail
    * Power / Torque: 300 bhp (220 kW) @ 3100rpm / 520 lb·ft (705 N·m) @1800 rpm
    * Source:[2]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Task Force

It looks like a good truck to me ! .

If you go Diesel and home brew fuel , please read into it well before just pouring filtered french fry oil into it as that's what kills 99 % of the tree huggers Bio-Diesel rigs .

There's a lot of work that needs to go into that " free fuel " or the engine WILL be ruined .

My '84 Mercedes 300CD Diesel Sports Coupe was ruined this way by Sta. Monica nitwits , I had to re - sleeve the engine to save it .

18. bonvo

bonvo Member

ive been reading into, it i do understand that you need to buy certain equipment to do it right and the equipment ran a few grand, but other then that i havent gotten to far into it. its still a long way from that its gonna run the stock 235 till it dies (if it dies). when it comes to the diesel i see it this way, 1: cheap fuel 2:clean fuel 3: tuning a modern turbo diesel can make some insane horsepower and torque. there is no down side.

19. mikebte

mikebte Member

Watch out for the wood beds. Mine looked real solid until I took a step and went strait threw. It was funny. If you want to run a diesel I would run a 5.9 cummins inline 6 or I have seen some people run the 4 cylinder cummins. Would still give you a lot of power and keep it lighter. These truck really aint that big any how. Im keeping the 235 for know. Have fun.

20. bonvo

bonvo Member

my bed floor isnt wood anymore someone welded in a sheet of diamond plate on top of the wood as for the diesel i like the duramax but im looking into other options i will not go cummings however if im gonna do a swap im getting more cylinders