Never again

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, May 17, 2014.

1. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

European guys must be different than us Yanks. At least you'll read a map.:)

2. skalywag

skalywag Member

My first (and only) VW was a 1968 Karmann Ghia. A wonderful car to drive and I drove it for 200K miles on it's original engine. I learned much from that machine - like valve adjustments (every 3K), oil changing (every 3k), belt adjustment techniques (shims - really). The earth was taking it's toll an her when, after hitting a chuck hole, the drivers seat fell thru the floor to the pavement below. A wedged in piece of angle iron got me on my way - and remained there until I sold the engine (and H 1500 single port) out of her to a friend and another person got the carcass.

3. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Sign that guy up for the pit crew!

5. coilover

coilover Member

One thing about those German machines--they don't go down without a fight. Now the generator is not working is kaput for sure. Went the mile down to the VW shop and they said it could be changed in the car but it was far easier TO PULL THE ENGINE. Keep telling me about how easy they are to work on. It's a 1970 so we replaced generator with alternator which also took a new mount stand. 225 bucks and it's ready to be stabbed first thing in the morning. The generator pulley has me baffled; no matter how many or few washers you put between the pulley halves the belt is loose enough to tie a knot in until you turn the engine a couple revolutions and then it gets tight. ??

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

They're *Different*

So you need to approach the mtce. & repair angle differently ~ once you learn to do this , old VW's are simple to work on....

7. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

8. ccharr

ccharr Member

9. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Beetle truck

Thanks fore sharing this link Joe. I loved the way he managed the design and Tech. solutions.

Martinius.