Safe Highway Speed

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by my54, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

My 54

The factory torque tube gears in your 54 3100 are 390:1, just a bit better behind the 235 than the earlier 410 gears behind the the 216s on the road.

Your 235 looks exactly like the 235 under the hood of my 54. I beleive mine is from a later 55 or 56 model truck. I really don't care. I painted my 235 blue years ago because I bought the paint suggested as correct for this model year from our sponsor (aka Chevy Duty) as the correct engine color for the 235 in 54. I like my truck, would love to build it again after almost 9 years.

Nice truck, fix the bracks and drive it. Check the oil regularly, it is always going to leak somewhere.

Jim

2. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    You can call Patrick's, they are very friendly and service oriented. He has quite a write-up on engine ID's. He's been through this a lot, you're not alone here.
    (520-836-1117). Make sure you have all the numbers stamped on the block.

Flashlight

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=8908
    Inside the link above is a picture of my trucks 54 engine in orange, one note about it parts are far and few between. A lot of stuff I have on shelf will not fit it. When it was rebuilt I had another engine which the garage choose not to rebuild because they said the 54 was a great engine but had to have its own parts, now I know, I gave the other engine to Robert (LaTroca52), that engine was sold to me as a 55 out of a 210.

4. my54

my54 Member

I have located the cyclinder head casting number and it match's up with the 54-55 235, reference that is in the Restore Your Chevrolet Pickup book, I need to do some more cleaning to find the block casting number but the serial number on the block behind the distirbuter is 0401185 F 54 X I know what evrything translates to except for the X, does anyone know what the X stands for?
    Mike

5. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

You've got a '54 block

The serial number, which is the stamped number on the boss behind the distributor confirms that it is a '54 block. The first set of numbers is the sequence number. "F54X" designates that it is a 1954 engine built in the Flint, Michigan engine plant and was built for a 1954 3100 series truck. Here's a link to help with the other serial #'s. http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/54057.htm

Ken