She's bed-hopping

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Ratnest, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Here are a couple pictures of the rear coil spring on the driver's side. The spring on the passenger side looks the same. I find it interesting that the middle of the spring is quite compressed. Is that normal?

Attached Files:

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

It is normal, those are just like the springs that were on my '65. Over the years those center coils get closer than they would have when the springs were new. But then again, we all were a bit more spaced out in the 60's :D

Buy a new set of springs from CPP, the non-progressive type in the link above. They'll ride much better.

You'll loose hauling capacity though....

3. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Thanks John. Just returned from a bowfishing outing and was glad to see you had looked at the spring photos. I'm not really concerned with hauling capacity and will contact CPP about the springs you recommended.:)

4. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

I called CPP and they did not recommend their non-progressive drop springs. I then put 100 pounds of sand over the rear axle and test drove. Amazingly, the bed hopping was no longer present. The added weight took the rear down 1/2 inch on both sides and the front remained the same! So, I could add a 100# under the bed and keep on driving. Or, maybe my shocks are too stiff. I think I'll remove the sand and test drive again without the rear shocks to see what happens. Whatchathink of that plan?

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Jim ya gotta have shocks.... your test drive will be memorable, and dangerous, without them, trust me. Think trampoline

Did the CPP folks say why they recommended against the regular springs... seems funny since they sell them to everybody for dropped trucks?

6. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Uh Ohh:eek: I only questioned the CPP tech regarding the non-progressive 4" drop springs PN# RCS603S...did I flub-up? Test w/o shocks cancelled:eek:

7. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Yeah, ask them:

• What is the spring rate is for their standard non-drop springs and ask them if that spring is progressive wound?
    • What is the spring rate for their 4" drop heavy duty spring.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  8. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Will do it ASAP.

9. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

I finally got all my facts together: The CPP replacement rear springs are non-progressive wound and rated at 370 pounds. A set is $105 plus shipping. The CPP tech did not know the spring rate on the 4" drop springs....which are also non-progressive wound. The new shocks on my 66 are Monroe HD Gas, and they are far from stiff! My stock springs are in good shape.

So, my decision after considering great advice AND my wallet, is to add weight to the rear of the truck. One hundred pounds of sand over the rear axle smoothed out the ride and lowered the rear 1/2". The front stayed the same! A math wizard buddy of mine determined that 70 pounds three feet behind the rear axle would yield the same ride as 100 pounds over the axle. A 2' long 3"x3" bar of steel weighs 60 pounds and a 32" piece of 3/16" angle (2x3) weighs about 10 pounds. With the contraption welded together, placed across the rear of the frame, the bed-hopping should be gone. I'll post pictures and test ride results soon.:)

10. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

The man has a plan... cool! :cool:

Wrinkle...

Do you notice a difference, full tank of gas vs empty, with your rear frame mounted gas tank?

At 8.6 lbs per gallon and 16 gallons that's 137 lbs.​

11. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

The tank was over 1/2 full on each test drive...including today's. Here's a real wrinkle: It's worse now than before. With the two 50 pound bags of sand positioned over the axle next to the wheel wells in the bed, things were great. Now the ride sucks! I'm gone to the garage to drink 6 Busch Lights rapidly.:eek:

12. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

After "sleeping on the issue" I decided I will pull all four shocks today and take them to the auto parts store. They have about 2K miles on them and I suspect they are no good. When I bought them I tried to save a few bucks. Yep..."You get what you pay for" I reckon.

13. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Keep us in the loop Jim.

I'd be surprised if the shocks are the issue. Those rear springs are easy to change and pretty reasonably priced too. I'd be swapping in a new set to see what impact that has. If you don't like them you can always swap in the old ones and sell the replacements on here or Ebay.

14. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

The shocks might just be the problem. When you bounce on the bumpers, the trucks keeps going 4 or 5 cycles! At the parts store, one of the rear shocks would not rebound after being depressed by hand. All the Monroes were weak. I've had lots of experience with Rancho shocks over the years and ordered 4 Rancho 5000's for the 66. Tuesday I'll try them and report back. I'll test drive with the new shocks and if not happy, remove the weight from the rear and test drive again. If nothing works, there's always sand bags...or I'll consider the springs. Good thing I'm retired:D

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Personally , I prefer the Bilstein HD gas shocks ~ they're very good and have a lifetime guarantee .

16. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

The parts manager said I could bring the Ranchos back for a full refund if they don't solve the issue. I'll install them tomorrow. I may just end up with Bilsteins. Thanks.

17. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Well persistence pays off. I stopped the old gal from bed-hopping! Our relationship is now on solid ground:D

The Rancho 5000's did the trick. The first test drive was with the 70 pounds in place about 3' rear of the rear axle. It was a great ride, with no bouncing or bed-hopping. Bumpy roads were smoothed-out and it was fine at 70 on the highway. Today, between storms, and without the rear end weight I did the same route. The bumps were more noticeable, but not bad. On the highway at high speeds it was great. SO..I don't know if I'll replace the weight bar (see photos) or leave it as is.

The moral of this story is I was a cheap chit and bought cheap shocks (Monroe HD Gas) and they turned out to be junk. The Rancho's are almost three times the cost but they are great.

I figured I'd take this opportunity to reveal my new spare tire cover too. I think it's way cool.

Attached Files:

18. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Awesome, glad you're happy. Keep On Truckin!

_____
    John

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

New Boingers

Sounds like problem solved ! .

20. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Well, I'm not sure! I didn't put the 70# weight back under the bed and this morning my girlfriend and I took the 66 about 30 miles for a late breakfast. It was like being in a new truck. Too cool. Everything was perfect. On the way back I noticed my tank was low (had about 3 gallons) and decided to add some petro. Put 11 gallons in the 17 gallon tank and headed home. The ride sucked! Bumps were particularly noticeable and I felt some bed-hopping:eek:. Once on my bumpy uphill road it got worse! What the heck.:confused: