Cannister Oil Filter Hookup

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by GLRnTX, Feb 15, 2009.

1. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

I am struggling with the connection of a cannister oil filter on my '51-3100. As usual, the Factory Assembly Manual is not much help. Section 0 - Sheet 6.00 shows two oil ports, but there are actually three [See 1st photo]. The first photo shows two ports with a bypass tube at each end. The third is closed with a red rubber plug.

The second photo shows the tee & street elbow fitting in the port that was plugged and the top hose from the cannister with the oil pressure line sitting on the frame. If I install the oil pressure line to the tee where does the bottom hose of the oil filter go?

If I take out one of the bypass connector and install the bottom hose there, that leaves an open port. It also makes the bottom hose touch the exhaust pipe [which cannot be good].

Help!:eek:

Greg

Attached Files:

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

Speaking of oil filter hook-ups, does anyone have info on hooking up two filters as I have seen in the fifties and sixties? I remember seeing Fram Dual set-ups, not really wanting to use that brand however the set up looked good. Also, I got ahold of an Edelbrock dual carb manifold and wondered if the daul filter would work on it somehow??

4. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

Ken,

Unfortunately, it does not answer the question of the "leftover" port. If the bottom of the canister attaches to the leftmost port, what about the other port connected with the bypass tubing? Do you just plug it?

At least the photos in the old car manual explained why the top hose was too short. They added an street elbow off the canister.

Greg

5. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Greg ~

I hope I don't screw this up as I'm beat . :(

You're looking at three different connections : the rearmost one is in the bulging oil pressure rail and goes to the filter's Inlet , needs a 'T' fitting as the oil pressure gauge is also connected here . (going from memory , you have the red plastic plug in this)

The front most one is the return connection .

The middle one is the external connection from the poil pressure regulator to the top cylinder oiling passage ~ it goes right through the block , DON'T screw with it ! .

I hope this helps...

Looking closely at the various pictures provided enlarged as far as they'll go (double click on them) you can clearly SEE the middle short pipe connecting the crossover pipe to the oil press. valve , it has a sheet metal cover .

If I scrwed up , someone will jump in straightaway and correct me .

Factory Shop Manuals and owner's booklets are the very best source of pictures for this kinda niggly stuff .

7. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

Nate,

Did you attach pictures or were you referring to mine ["...double click on pictures"]?

Right now, the front most port is connected to the middle port with a copper tube. If the return hose (bottom) of the canister connects to the front most port, do I plug up the middle one?

I am clear on the rear most port that has the inlet hose and the oil pressure tubing. I have the tee and street elbow for this.

I was assuming I had the bypass tubing because my truck was not originally equipped with the RPO oil filter.

Greg

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sorry Greg

I don't have pictures to attach .

I was looking at the oix in the links... I see they're all 235's and you have a 216 or an early 235....

I am not sure but I *think* your return line goes to the unused port just _below_ the rusty sheet metal cover there and that short line from cover back is the top cylinder oiling line .

Really , we need to look in a 216 book to ensure you get this right .

9. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

That's the problem I keep running into. Most of the photos I have found are not the 216.

I have looked through most of the photos in the Member galleries with no luck. I have checked the Stovebolt Page with no luck. The '51 Shop Manual does not show it. The RPO Accessory Manual does not show it.

Is there anyone out there with a 216 that can photograph their setup?

Thanks.

Greg

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The Time Has Come

To head on over to The Stovebolt Page and have a gander or ask for pix there .

I'm sorry Greg , I'm having serious brain farts to-night .

11. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Try this link here: http://speedprint.com/deves50/img/index/latest2002lg.jpg

12. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

Ken,

That is an excellent photo, but unfortunately it does not show the connection of the hoses.:confused:

I am going to guess that the brass fitting to the bottom and left of the 3-bolt cover plate on the oil distributor is my missing link. Mine has a plug in it right now.

Can someone confirm that I leave the bypass tubing in place and add a street elbow where the plug is. Then I would connect the input (top) of the canister to the new elbow and the output (bottom) to the tee/elbow combo that also connects the oil pressure line to the dash gauge?

Greg

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

That's It !

That's just what I was talking about (good to know I didn't mess up)

In that last pic , the rear fitting isd the pressure fitting and goes to the cannister's _inlet_

The forward fitting is the return line .

14. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

Are these the correct connections then?

Greg

Attached Files:

15. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

That's it! That's the way it needs to go.

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

No ! that's awful and will cause your engine to explode ! :eek:

For proper disposal please send those parts to ME :rolleyes:

17. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

I am hoping I just discovered Nate's sense of humor.;)

Greg

18. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

No, Nate's serious.:rolleyes: I'm a lot closer to you than he is though, so just send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you!;)

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hey !

I wrote first ya know ! .

(I gotta watch these interlopers closely)

:D

20. Lews50

Lews50 Member

Filter type

Can anyone tell me what filter goes into these canisters? I ordered one from here that I assumed would be correct but it is too tall. Thanks in advance, Lewis.