216 to 235 swap...need advice

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by cmunoz11018, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

The serial number looks to be a '55 first series number. After the production sequence number, the F55X tells me that is is a 235 built in Flint, Mich and used in 3100 series trucks.

Is it just me or does the road draft tube appear to be a little strange? I don't recall the later model engines incorporating an oil filler on the tube.

Ken

2. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Don't know how you came to the conclusion that this is a truck motor as it clearly has provisions for side car motor mounts.
    The truck engines didn't have side motor mounts & the block was not equipped with side motor mount provisions.

Like I said in an earlier post..... That road draft tube & fittings on the valve cover & air cleaner appear to be left over PCV Nox emissons systems that were required in California during the 70's.

3. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Man, Nate, I'm glad you posted the comment on running a 6 volt starter on 12 volts! I did that on my truck years ago and you are absolutely RIGHT! Later, after buying a Kenworth that was 24 volts, I used a 12 volt starter on it also! It would start with a bump of the starter every time, even in the winter! The service guys at Kenworth always told me how crazy I was, but, at least now I know I'm not the only "crazy' one! Sorry for getting off subject, guys.

4. cmunoz11018

cmunoz11018 Member

Well I changed my mind on that motor but fell into better luck with another 235! this ones block number is. 0340363f56z
    its a 56 so that means its a hydraulic lifter engine! he also threw in this nice valve cover.!

Attached Files:

5. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

[​IMG]

Block was cast on May 2nd of 1956

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Inverted Oil Breather Tube

Those are to add a PCV valve , I'm not sure what the deal is with the cap on it ~ the Chevy ones were all closed as you added oil in through the rockerbox .

It looks like a GMC tube to me .

I have one of those factory 235/261 PCV valve tubes kicking around my back yard , they're a very good thing to have .

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I picked up my other 350 from the local HS autoshop today. They have what appears to be a 57 235 in the shop.....may be available.

8. woodywood

woodywood Member

I am swapping motors from 216 to 56 chevy 235 what mounts do I need?

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The same mounts, it's wise to drill the threaded holes out before using the front mount plate .

This is covered in detail with photos in some older post...