Hello from Arizona!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by The Hill Boys, Mar 12, 2014.

1. The Hill Boys

The Hill Boys Member

2. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

I will be buying & selling.
    Send me a PM & I will give you the swap spot #

3. The Hill Boys

The Hill Boys Member

Here are some more pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. The Hill Boys

The Hill Boys Member

1958 or 1959 235 (I think)....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. The Hill Boys

The Hill Boys Member

So, we bought this several weeks ago. Sold to us as a 1951. Didn't have a key and previous owner said it hadn't run in several years. After doing some research on how to get a key made, I found that the push button doors were from 1952. VIN indicated 1952. Speedometer went to 90, another thing started in 1952. So, we actually have a 1952.

Cleaned off some of the grease to find the serial number and it didn't match the format of 1952. Found out about the 4 bolts valve cover being a 235. Found the casting number and confirmed it was a 235. Haven't determined the year yet, but I think it's a 58 or 59.

Got out of the gates on the wrong foot after installing a new battery and finding out that the "red" cable went to ground and the "black" cable went to the starter (this was after some sparks and smoking wires). So, it now has a fried alternator. I did some prep before starting (pulled plugs, put some MMO in each cylinder and let sit), turned motor over by hand, cleaned plugs, points (thanks to help from the other site), disconnected fuel line at tank and stuck into can. First attempt resulted in some grinding of the starter and the motor finally turning over but nothing else.

Next weekend, I bought a spark tester and we tried again. Nothing. I found a broken wire to the coil and repaired that. Nothing. Then realized that my son had the key turned off and not on. Motor started and actually scared us (wasn't expecting to) so I had him kill it quickly. We tried again a little later and it again started and ran for a few seconds before we killed it.

Hoping to get it pushed out onto the driveway this weekend and try to get it started and let it run for a bit.

Has no brakes what-so-ever. No clue about the tranny. Seems to shift through the gears when not running.

6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

You may want to look into a wiring harness very soon. Looks like there have been many patches and "upgrades".

Looks to be a solid truck. Just work on it little by little. If it is your first build, DO NOT blow it apart. Just service and upgrade as you go....keeps the interest up and fun driving makes you want to work on it more.

As for being titled as a 51, it may be a very early 52 that was sold in 51, therefore 51 was put on the title......I have seen this quite a bit.

7. The Hill Boys

The Hill Boys Member

Thank you. Yes, a new harness is high on the priority list. We (my son and I) are wanting to make this a daily driver. Little by little is our only option since we have a very small budget and lots of other hobbies. My biggest project is to cut down a tree, rip up a sidewalk and then pour a pad so that I can park it on the side of the house. Wife wants her parking spot in the garage back.

Thanks for the info on the 51/52. Sure wish I had more history on the truck. Maybe next one!

8. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

9. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Welcome

Welcome to the forum, glad to see yet ANOTHER from AZ! I am in southern AZ, same as Skeeterbilt.

Looks like you are starting with a pretty solid truck though! Look forward to watching your progress, as Coach's thread was a huge inspiration for me too (particularly because his is a 3600 as well, and his build was headed in the direction that I envisioned for my truck). Good luck, enjoy the ride. Maybe one of these days all of us can get together and have a AZ meet up.

A note on the wiring... I didn't think mine was real bad, until I pulled it all out. WOW, lots for broken wires and most of the sheathing just disintegrated.

Attached Files:

10. The Hill Boys

The Hill Boys Member

Thanks! I was going to try to get the family down to Tombstone sometime before summer. Maybe we can swing by SV and say hey.

11. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

For sure! Give me a shout before hand. I met both Skeeter and Joe (DeadZoneTruckin), both great guys.

12. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

So where is coach anyway?

13. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

You mean lately? He's probably out driving and enjoying the truck! :D

14. ccharr

ccharr Member

Where in Glendale is this swap meet, I have friends in Glendale that want to go to it. Maybe it will put the bug in them to go ahead and get an AD.

Thx.

15. The Hill Boys

The Hill Boys Member

59th ave and olive ave behind the glendale community colledge, in glendale. Time is around 7am to 2pm both days.

16. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks for the directions I'll let them know.

17. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

18. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks for the link Joe, I'll send it to my friends.

19. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Had a great time at the swap & it was nice meeting up & shaking hands with a few of the members here.

20. The Hill Boys

The Hill Boys Member

Nice to meet you Joe. We picked up a few things this morning. Wish I could have stayed longer. I'll make sure to put aside the morning and bring a wagon next year!