Introduction To Rusto-Mod

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Chip, Jul 25, 2021.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I understand but so many I knew started with pot and are now dead of drug related things, I'm not sure why my Sweet distrusts it but she does and I cannot get her to try it more than that initial dosage .

2. Chip

Chip Member

I have seen that personally also. Friends progress from pot to the big ones, and don't last very long.
    I work for a 'random drug testing' company and drive a 16k gvwr truck, so my livelihood is at risk. I just fell into the CBD for pain management, and have had tolerance issues(Can't stand it) with THC. I just hope that if tested, the results won't be shocking.

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Dig it ~

I'm not saying a word against CBD .

Way back when, maybe 1972 a friend of mine had cancer and used reefer to make him able to eat ~ the chemotherapy made him so sick he didn't want to eat at all .

Chip likes this.
  4. Chip

Chip Member

Last few weeks been working on the new tailgate. Only had 1 old rusty hinge so ordered 2 new.
    The new hinges were much taller than stock, so it shoved the tailgate 1/4" out. Fixed and trimmed the gate to fit.
    Now to move the bed outside and continue to work on E V E R Y T H I N G else.
    FFF1CA5B-270F-446E-A349-10C165098592.jpeg E78810EE-9C91-40F0-8C3F-E0BE8A53364E.jpeg

Attached Files:

vwnate1 likes this.
  5. Chip

Chip Member

Going thru therapy on the ankle lately but got the bed off and finished working on the front sway bar. 30mm, I guess is the biggest for that year.
    I wish the 'Flat Out Engineering' instructions included the option of the fitment mounting above or below the frame on the sway bar. Above if you want to lay ground for clearance. I wasn't going that route so mount it to the bottom of the frame.
    Took a whole weekend to realize that the kit has a ton of extra material on it. Removed about 3/8" from the heim joint side and 5/8" from the thread. It gives me about at least 12 threads of anchor, which should be plenty, and looks like it has better travel than before.
    C68AB0E3-EE0F-4150-9961-E3C08E10CCB8.jpeg

vwnate1 likes this.
  6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I'd guess that if it were above the frame it'd be through the engine.

vwnate1 likes this.
  7. Chip

Chip Member

I pushed the 350 as close to the fire wall and as low as possible for lower center of gravity. That would be just in front of the engine as I have it...barely, but way too close. The instructions did state that if you wanted the truck to 'drag ground' you could put it on top of the frame for clearance. You can see that the lower a arm is about 1" above the sway mount at the frame, but the very front of the frame is even lower.

vwnate1 likes this.
  8. coilover

coilover Member

First, some really good fabrication and metal work. What we do on AD trucks is use a side fill gas tank like yours but run the fill tube out the side under the bed and then behind the tire to a motorcycle pop up gas cap. This eliminates any intrusion into the bed/floor area and is way easier for lazy ones like us. This truck is also a driver but had so much rust and damage that paint was required but used flat to take away the "shiny". If the pop up gas cap is painted body color it's almost invisible.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      116.2 KB
      Views:
    • 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      78.5 KB
      Views:
    • 020.JPG
      020.JPG
      File size:
      131.1 KB
      Views:
    vwnate1 and Chip like this.
  9. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I did it Evan's way when I did my '57. I didn't know about the pop-up caps, but I used a stainless screw cap. Had a muffler shop bend a custom fill pipe to fit.

Filler.jpg

vwnate1 and Chip like this.
  10. Chip

Chip Member

I guess I was looking on doing something a bit different, but looking like factory.
    Or just insane enough to do stupid stuff enough until I stop.

vwnate1 likes this.
  11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I like the various ideas and works done here .

Putting the fuel filler anywhere inside the ed is always a fools errand that causes grief down the road .

I'm not sure why post # 25 showing the front suspension shows a black carburetor wrench ....? .

12. Chip

Chip Member

Ya mean the 'dead blow persuader' wrench?
    It is has a tendency to appear out of nowhere....then disappear when you need it.

vwnate1 likes this.
  13. Chip

Chip Member

p.s. Had injections in the ankle on Wednesday (non steroidial). Hoping for the best.
    p.p.s. Going to the local rod and custom show this weekend ....and hoping to bump into Gene Winfield.(wink,Wink).

vwnate1 likes this.
  14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Dang ! is Gene still alive ? . I drove by his shop on the old highway last Saturday and was thinking about him .

Yes, I love dead blow hammers (? mallets ?) and bought one way back when only the Snap On tool truck had them, wow was it ever an expen$ive tool but well worth every penny .

Previously (and truth be told, still in one of my rollaways) I had / have brass , lead and copper hammers to do essentially the same thing.....

What's the deal with your ankles ? mine are weak some how and for the first 1/2 of my life would occasionally flop over sideways crashing me to the ground and causing weeks / months of pain .

I learned to simply fold my knees the *instant* I felt one flopping over, this allows me to crash to the ground rolling on my leg and hip, messy and embarrassing but far less pain .

Beware of steroids ! my buddy got them in his knees for many years then his knees turned to jelly and he had to wear external metal joints the rest of his pain filled life =8-( .

15. Chip

Chip Member

Shattered right ankle 10 years ago at work. Pins, plates & screws. 2 surgeries a few years ago. Pain is back and got L&I case reopened. Ortho doesn't see any bone issues so won't do any surgery, but have un-united fractures??? noted by several reports. Also damaged/disentigrating cartilage. The shots are to hopefully help heal cartilage, or at least minimize pain. No steroids. Was instructed by Occ Dr. that may temporarily help, but will turn the soft tissue to mush if overused. 2 more rounds of injections every 30 days.
    Mr. Winfield had gone back to his hotel by 3pm when dad & I showed up to the show. Ian Rousell was there. Looks bigger on TV.lol
    Did see a couple of AD's, but way too nice to even drive on any public road. The kind that makes you wonder if the engines have ever been turned over, or just bolted together for show.

16. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Having a project vehicle which can't be driven due to being "in process" is understandable. Have a completed vehicle which is "too nice to drive" once it is complete is another thing entirely. Not driving a completed restoration is almost like sending it to the crusher. And taking a lot of good parts with it on the trip. While discussing (future) paint work requirements for my truck, I explained to a friend all I want is driver-grade paint. Foot-deep clearcoat is beautiful, but if stone chips and bugs are in your future, why bother?

Chip and vwnate1 like this.
  17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sorry to hear of your injuries Chip =8-( .

I ride Motocycles and have had an over the top active life so I to am badly broken .

I agree, not worth anything is you don't want to or cannot drive / ride 'em , I'm still riding but my favorite is a 200 # Honda CB125S these days .

Considering selling my old 1975 BMW R60/6, low miles etc. but I just don't like to ride it much .

Maybe my other oldies too even my 1969 Chevy C/10 shortie stepper .

Chip likes this.
  18. Chip

Chip Member

Being that the chocolate pooping bunny is showing up tomorrow, I tried to get something done today.
    Didn't have any of the original parking brake hardware so I updated it a bit.
    55+ under dash handle. Now have to connect to the C4 brakes. CD77C3DB-3BAA-43F7-B236-64C908973191.jpeg 3C8AF9C4-96ED-4F91-B0B1-14980614B26E.jpeg

vwnate1 likes this.
  19. Chip

Chip Member

After repairing and halfway straightening the running boards(rusto don't need to be perfect, just look very well used), got a good coat of POR-15 on the underneath. Tomorrow will zinc coat the top to stop the rust there (after I still help my dog after he had 3 teeth pulled, with 2 additional falling out. He still looks like he is stoned). He is my buddy and only child, though.
    DE7199AA-A72A-40BE-9DEC-F3A22C40CB19.jpeg

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Progress ! .

Looking good there .

I'm sorry your pooch is loosing teeth, that's usually near the end of their lives and yes, dogs are just like our children, they give all their love and ask for very little in return .