Rebuilding the 54

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Climberdad, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

Patricks has some .080 pistons and rings. The rod and main journals can go up to .035.

It all depends on how badly the surfaces are scored.

Cheers!

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Engine Overhaul

Don't be in any hurry to turn that crank ! . if the journals are O.K., just slip in new bearing shells and call it a day .

The cylinders , how much taper does it have ? . you're allowed up to .016" or so so cutting the ridge a bit then smoothing it flush with a ball hone might be a way to go , finish up by using some Chrome rings bedded in my way and you won't have excessive oil consumption .

Due to casting shift , boring past .060" is unwise .

Liners are available but , I've not found a competent Machinist to install them correctly in years ~ what they all do is : press in the new liners then make fast cuts instead of the time consuming slow cuts so not only do you wind up with brandy new .020" bores but they're slightly egg shaped too .

3. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

So far it's been a productive weekend. The cleaning and painting of parts takes a long time... I decided to take your collective advice and went with Grey for the engine color. I'm glad I did. We pulled the front springs to get them cleaned up. I'm replacing bushings and seals while I'm at it. The rear spring pin bushing was more the shape of an egg than a circle... Thankfully the pin had not worn completely through the bushing to the spring.

Attached Files:

4. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

I've got the engine compartment pretty well cleaned up. Next I need to do some serious wiring cleanup. I found some green paint that was close... Once the hood is on it will be hard to tell. The whole truck is going to be painted - but that is another project;) I think I may need a new fan:eek: I am lucky that i did not have a blade fly through the hood! Anyone have one they want to part with? I never did like the white accents in the grill - so now they are gone.

Attached Files:

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Disaster Averted !

You're wise to go with the gray , once you've re-painted all the engine accessories properly gloss black & added rockerbox decals , it looks really nice and correct too, not goofy like the Chevrolet orange things do .

That fan was a lucky catch ! good thing you saw it before it punched the hood :eek:

Farm fix back in the day was to wire brush off the rust & old paint , zap it real good with the buzzbox and slap it back on for another 50 years of hard service.... :rolleyes:

6. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

Funny Nate - I was thinking the same thing. I could not decide it there was a balance issue. I was able to find a NOS fan for $30 so I just decided to be safe. I guess I can weld the old one and have a backup...

I picked up the clutch kit and water pump at the local ORiellys today. Waiting on the little intake manifold alignment rings to mock everything up. Hopefully it will be back together intime for this year's family Christmas card:rolleyes:

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

No !

Just snap the cracked blade off and hang it on your garage wall and when the -one- guy notices it , lie through your teeth , make up an exciting story ya know....

8. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

LOL! I like that idea - it will go along with the bits I kept as momentos from my rock crawler...;)

9. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

Hello all,

I looked back and it's been way too long since I posted... Lot's of time spent on other projects.

Engine is done. Runs like a champ!

Now for paint. I know the purists will not approve - but I just could not keep the stock green... Firewall has not yet been painted...

Working on the interior as well...

Attached Files:

10. ccharr

ccharr Member

That is a great color, and your progress is good also. Keep the progess photos coming, Thanks.

11. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

"A Choice of 12 Attractive Colors At No Extra Cost"

Just like the Sales Brouchure said...

Page%2036.jpg

I like the color too! I noticed 2 air cleaners! We need info and pics of the engine mods too!

That's a definite "head turner"!

Ken

12. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

Engine is "Period Correct". Original 235 - bored 60 over (clean up). Slightly shaved head. Mild cam. Dual Holly/Webber 2 barrel carbs on an Offenhauser intake. Cast iron split header. Electronic ignition. Stock 3 on the tree. Runs like a scalded cat... Will get some pics of the engine - got lazy during the end of that phase...

Attached Files:

13. spika

spika Member

Wow, that's danged near the color of my Studester...I love it!!! That's gonna be beautiful. Fine work!

14. herman quail

herman quail Member

I also like the color.I plan on doing a dark blue and your color gets my juices flowing.
    Could you tell me the color that you used.
    Steve

15. Zig

Zig Member

Dat's B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!

I love the color, Bruce! The engine looks mighty tough too!
    So are you doing the paint, or did someone else paint it for you?
    Thanks for the update! (Wish I could do the same...)

16. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

Thanks all!

Color code info is attached. Jorge Diaz of Diaz Custom Classics in Denton, TX is doing the Paint/Body work.

The interior was painted a darkish grey. The seat is being re-done in a black and grey suede. Headliner and door panels will match.

Will post somemore photos next week.

Attached Files:

17. herman quail

herman quail Member

thanks for that info.
    will go to the local paint shop next week.
    steve

18. 3/4 gmc 1952

3/4 gmc 1952 Member

I also LOVE that color. I am planning blue and grey interior as well but I think I am going with Toyota Speedway Blue. I keep seeing those little blue trucks around town and the color really jumps out at you. That is a ways off however. Much work still to be done. Nice job and keep those pictures coming, they are like the carrot on the end of a stick for me!

19. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

Went by the upholstery shop and the headliner & door panels are done:) Seat will be done and installed this Saturday:)

Went by the paint shop and everything is painted:) He has started the buffing process and tells mr I can have the truck back Saturday:D

Lot's of pictures this weekend!

20. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Looking forward to seeing the pics! What I've seen so far have been very nice!