Skeeter's 50. Questions and Build

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by SkeeterBilt, Aug 10, 2012.

1. pmoron

pmoron Member

I'm not sure why that guy went that route...

In my experience, pine doesn't hold stain (it goes patchy after awhile). Not to mention that it's an incredibly soft wood, so that dog is going to gouge the hell out of it. To make things worse, a 1x8 pine board is exactly $0.30 cheaper than oak.

It's good info as far as how to put a wood bed together, but if it's me, I'd use maple. It's incredibly hardy, has a lighter grain and so you can do a lot of different stains. But either way, use a hardwood. Just my take on it.

2. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

what are you talkin about stains and info to put a bed together? the ply wood is only temp till i get the money to do the bed the right way.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  3. Zig

Zig Member

Good dog!

You are right! It does look like the east coast!
    That is a cool looking ride you are getting together there! The visor really sets it off! :cool:

4. pmoron

pmoron Member

5. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

crazy huh? i have to tilt the visor up some more. its a lil bit too far down and my sight line is at the bottom of the visor

o0o0ohhh i see

6. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

im still here, just need tags and insurance and the truck can be on the road. i started a second job installin windshields, repairs and tint so time is limited. bright side is i can get some glass made for the truck and the boss will give me a hand installin it all.before anyone says it, havin glass cut is super cheap for me with the new job. i found some trailer marker lights and cut them off the mountin bracket and made them into my turn signals
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Hey Skeeter, Congrats on getting on the road. I just recently got mine out on the road as well. Been driving about every chance I get the last few days. Getting a lot of looks, and thumbs up, too. Enjoy your ride. Bill

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Turn Signals

Looking good there Skeeter ~

Remember to replace the dim running light bulbs with # 1129 (6 volt) or # 1156 (12 volt) bulbs so folks will actually see them .

9. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

thanks guys, got tags and insurance today. hope to take it for a spin this weekend. lil nervous to drive it, hope everything works ok haha

10. Zig

Zig Member

That sure looks like a head turner! Hope your ride goes well. If you had a GMC, I have three hubcaps that would fit those split rim wheels you're running~ ;)

11. ccharr

ccharr Member

Skeeter ,

Good looking truck the hard work has really paid off, Congrats.

12. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

thanks guys, been a long week of workin 2 jobs and i have sat and sunday off so im excited.

13. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

my motto is "everything looks good slammed, not everything looks good lifted"
    found this at tractor supply tonight. had to lower it
    [​IMG]

14. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

todays project was puttin some wood in the stake pockets. came out good but i stil have to stain it or paint it. i have a 8inch-ish "stop" light ill install on the back rack.
    [​IMG]

15. Zig

Zig Member

That looks GREAT! So I think I found you adjustable wrench you've been looking for. It's hanging by some wire just inside the back passenger tire. ;)

16. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Stain and Tung oil that wood. I do 3 coats of 50/50 tung and turpentine mix, then 3 coats rubbed in 100% tung. Will not rot and is easy to touch up.

17. ccharr

ccharr Member

Skeeter,
    Congrats on getting the Copper HV tags they are heavy, I have a set for mine and am waiting for the end of Nov. to put them on. Btw did they give you 2 tags instead of the one?

18. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

thanks, hahaha, that wrench was layin inside behind the grille. i think it needs to stay with the truck and it hangin from some old bale-in wire might be the way. glad you can see it, haha

yea they are super heavy and i got 2. i have a 1950 PA plate on the front. since im from PA

19. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

installed my ebay stop light and ebay amber fog light up front. still need to wire them up. took the truck for a spin down the dirt road. was fun
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Way cool on the stop light! I'm loving that!