Time for the "55"...

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by JIMnWV, Nov 23, 2011.

1. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

bandaids

Those bandaids on your fingers look like my hands when I am working in my garage. Sometimes I grab a piece of a paper towel and whatever kind of tape is close by.
    Truck is looking good, keep on working on it. Before you know it, you will be driving it down the road. My "before you know it" was 5 years. It has been worth every minute, every drop of blood, every bruise, scratch and scrape. And some %#&^ words.
    Remember this, the only person you have to please as you build your truck, is you.
    Keep on truckin'
    Gerald in Florida

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Friends

You're a *very* lucky Man Jim ! .

I'm always asked to work on my Friends rigs and do I want to borrow it but no one touches my truck ~ if they do , they'd better have a gun in their pocket :rolleyes: .

It's looking very good indeed , I love Task Force Trucks .

3. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

loaning things

Order of loaning stuff
    Wife, cat, tools, money, gun, truck
    I might take the truck off that list
    Don't any of you ever tell my wife about this list.

4. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

My lips are sealed 58Apache....lol :D. Yes Nate, I guess I am lucky to have a great friend of 35 yrs, I have had the truck on the back burner for a few years and Tom has wanted to see it back up and running so we can go to the car shows in our rides or just take our wives out to eat. Tom traded his 66 Chevelle for a 72 Challenger, and has now traded the Challenger for a 48 Chevy coupe...., He had a 56 Task force years ago and misses it. Guess he is building up to trading for another truck...??? 58Apache, the bandaids on my fingers are actually from weather cracking, my hands always fall apart in the winter, I usually have 2 to 4 on each hand and without the bandaids I look like I been sorting Wildcats barehanded, my hands actually rip open and bleed when I really grip down on things like pliers, or lift heavy things in winter. Be glad when it warms up!!

5. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

bandaids

Ouch!!! In this day and age there must be some product you can use on your hands that will help. I am originally from East Tennessee, lived in the foot hills of the Smokies, worked outside there for years. That's where I learned to hate cold weather. Been in Florida since the early 70s, retired now. Well kept secret in Florida, water freezes here when the temp gets below 50 degrees. hehe My '58 doesn't have a heater, never did. On cold days it never leaves the garage and I don't leave the house. Must be a Florida thing, my garage has an Air Conditioner.
    You take care of those hands.
    Gerald in Ocala, Fl.
    About 90 minutes from Disney, a place I don't go to since I heard there is a really big mouse there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oops !

I'm sorry m I told my Missus who was gabbing with your and the loan thing kinda sorta slipped out..... :( .

Please let us know when the bandages come off and where to send the ' get well soon ' card :p .

I'm (kinda) lucky in that SWMBO doesn't like driving my vehicles , not even my old Mercedes because she says they're all ' too rough ' because i re work the suspension on everything I own .

Anyways , it's very good to hear your Friend will soon be scrapping that worthless old Dodge :)D) for a proper Truck .

It's been over 30 years since I last drove my '55 Chevy Tow Truck and I miss it still .

What a rolling pile it was but nevertheless , it took me wherever I wanted to go happily if not quickly , never once left me afoot , ' Mater ' looked just like it before I had it re painted , stupidly I never ever took one photo of it :( .

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Skin Care

Oh yeah , I forgot : it's a terrible thing , I well remember my dry , cracked and bleeding hands all Winter long , then I got older and discovered there are many skin care products (I use " SBS - 40 ") that don't smell foofy like SWMBO's cremes and they keep your skin flexible in spite of the cold , wind , chemicals etc. , ZERO PAIN too , always a good thing .

Give it a try .

8. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Finally got the doors on and fitted, been slowly mocking up all the sheetmetal before I got to far along. Had a rough dented place below the gas cap area that lead intio the door jam, I thought about it for a long time then made my decision, I removed that whole section and replaced it with a section from my 57 parts truck. After a lot of measuring and double checking we got it butt welded in place and welded up. Now for the new cab corner....:) Slow but sure.

Attached Files:

9. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Lookin' good!

10. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Took the upper and lower sections that the grill mounts to and sand blasted them at work, just put some temporary primer on them to prevent rust and got them on to help with the front end alignment between hood and fenders. Be moving to the rear axle soon, have 2 new wheel cylinders here, and new riveted brake shoes on the way along with new axle seals.

Attached Files:

11. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

My friend who is good enough to help me with the 55 traded around and got a 55 fixer upper, had to take a little time and do some spring cleaning to get all 3 trucks in his garage, but we got it. Ordered a Radiator support mounting kit part # 78-624 from our host when I ordered my new grill, but as luck would have it...on back order :( . Does anyone know where I can find the full set? or at least how thick the pads are? On my truck all that was gone when I got it so a little in the dark on it.

Attached Files:

12. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Very cool. Chopped top and torque thrust wheels.

13. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

Garage

A garage full of Chevy trucks, does it get any better? I suppose the weather could be better.
    Gonna be in the 70s here tomorrow and 80 Sunday.
    Local car show tomorrow at O'reillys auto parts, good outing for me and my '58.
    I know, I did not spell it right but you get the idea.
    Gerald in sunny Florida

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

FLAPS Car Show

Gerald ;

Please snap a few pictures to share .

I've never seen a car show in an Auto Parts parking lot , it makes sense .

15. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

pictures

Nate, I will take some pics at the car show, actually it is a cruise-in. No entry fee. Can't beat that price. Camera battery is charged. I am not a whiz with computers so I might need a little bit of advice on posting pictures, we will see.
    My niece writes computer programs, she says using a computer is easy, I asked her if she could rebuilt a 350 Chevy engine, she said no, I asked her why not, it is easy, we let that conversation end right there.
    I will try to put the pics on here tomorrow afternoon. No idea how many vehicles will be there, they have limited parking.
    Gerald in Florida

16. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Got the new "riveted" brake shoes and oil seals in for the rear axle. May be a short bit before I get to install them, need to work on this white stuff a little....:(

Attached Files:

17. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

car show pics

Went to the car show, took some pics. Hopefully I can figure out how to load them on here. welllllllllllll, got an error mesage, some kind of internal error. way beyond my understanding of computers. I might try again later, right now I am seriously considering using this computer for target practice.

18. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

one more try for car show pics

With a little luck this might work. The truck is mine. Looks like I can only load 2 or 3 attachments at a time. Bear with me and I will post the pics but they will be on several posts. sorry about that, I am sure there is a better way to do this but I am going to stick with what works for me.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2015
  19. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

more car show pics

4 more this time

Attached Files:

20. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

and more pics

maybe 5 this time. Nope, only 4
    In the 3rd pic, the owner of the 442 has had it since 1974, been all restored.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2015