Time for the "55"...

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by JIMnWV, Nov 23, 2011.

1. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

And another 4

try, try again. It was a nice warm sunny day well, make that 3 more
    The one in the middle is the DJ trailer and tables. They played good old 50s and 60s rock and roll music. At one point they played the national anthem and everyone stood and faced the American flag with their right hand over their hearts. National pride is still alive and well in spite of some misguided politicians.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2015
  2. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

Some more pics

trying for 4 again. Nice El Camino in first pic. Really clean '56 in 3rd pic. Camaro in forth pic won peoples choice award. It had those big metal flakes in the paint.

Attached Files:

3. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

One more time

This is the last pics of the show.
    The Chevy truck has a big block with a blower. It was really loud. Makes me wonder how many traffic tickets he gets per mile.
    It was a good day to be outside, I see by the weather channel that some of you haven't been getting good weather lately, this should assure you that good weather does exist.
    For those of you thinking about moving to here (Florida), you will not be allowed to cross into Florida, we are full, you will have to wait until someone leaves. And if you believe that, I still have some swampland for sale.
    Gerald in Florida

Attached Files:

4. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks for sharing the photos Gerald. Glad to see you still are having the good weather there.

Charles

5. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

weather

We have set some new low temperatures this winter, it has been unusually cold. But it is nothing like what the north is getting. Guess thats why it is called the frozen north.
    Right now it is sunny and near 80 degrees and I am keeping it all to myself. Great day to run Daytona but they wouldn't let me enter my truck.
    Hope everyone enjoys the pics. Gerald in Florida

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thank you gerald !!!

That was what I was hoping to see .

I liked the '49/'50 Chevy Coupe in yellow, wish I could have seen it in person but it prolly had a (yawn) V-ate in it :p .

What was the little light colored car for sale ? .

As far as photos , just do whatever is easiest for you , I began doing a tortuous process and over time (and asking for help often) I learned a slightly easier way .

I wonder what ever happened to Larry Karoke and his " Billy Bob " AD , he lived in Fla. too .

OBTW : your Task Force truck looks mighty good ! ready for HARD WORK IMO , I really like the tail gate paint .

7. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

car for sale

I don't know what that light colored car for sale is. I did hear someone ask the owner about it but since I wasn't interested in buying it I did not pay much attention. I might see it again and I will ask about it. The owner is a regular at local shows. He has other cars.
    My tailgate paint scheme was my idea. Actually taped off the letters and the band around them and sprayed painted the black, not an easy job but I did not want paint brush marks in the black paint. The inside of the doors has black accent on them too, I will take a pic so you can see it.
    This truck is not a trailer queen, it isn't even show quality but some people enjoy looking at it. I wanted a antique truck and built one. The most important thing I learned from the truck building was that there is only one person you need to please. Everyone else can go smoke a rope.
    The second most important thing I learned is that building a truck is never ending, you always want something else for it.
    Gerald in Florida, y'all have a good day, ya hear!

8. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

Inside of door paint scheme

Here are some pics of the inside, Nate.
    1st one, this scheme is a lot like the one on the tail gate.
    2nd one, truck came without a seat, these are from a 2004 Dodge Dakota with the center console, I had to build brackets to raise them a couple of inches to the comfort lever for me. The width of the seats with the center console is perfect for the truck.
    3rd one, a few horses live there. On a quiet night you can hear that carburetor sipping at the gas. 8.5 MPG in town. Not a lot more on the open road.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
  9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

More pix !

Thanx ! .

I rather like the two toned affair .

10. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

black and yellow

Black and yellow always look good together, add some red or orange and it enhances the colors. Took a couple of art classes in high school a long time ago. George was in one class, his last name was Washington, he started ROTC in our school and he hated red uniforms and British accents.
    Gerald

11. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Some nice looking rides at that show... Always liked the looks of a 58/59 Chevy-gmc, probably since my first ride at 15 was a 1959 GMC.

12. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

stuck

This has been stuck on 50 replies for so long that I was beginning to think that 50 was all it could get to. This should be reply 51

13. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Lol.... I'm still chipping away at it, have the differential apart for new axle seals and brakes right now. Will add more pics of progress soon.

14. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Was there any options to what ratio differential these trucks had? Especially between V8 or 6 cyl powered? My 55 and 56 parts truck both have 3:90 gears, both had 6 cyl, my 57 parts truck had a V8, would it possibly have a taller gear?

15. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

ratios

You might find your answer at Jim Carter Truck Parts, oldchevytrucks.com.
    Lots of great info on chevy and gmc trucks. Tons of good pictures too.

16. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Thank you 58pache.... I will check it out.

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Final Drive Ratios

Jim ;

I don't know but in general , when equipped with automatic tranny , the ratio is higher (lower numerically) so if you're looking for Highway gears , go look for a Hydromatic equipped rig and check it's tooth count .

Usually these rear ends get tossed in the scrap bin when a Hot Rodder gets ahold of an old rig because they all want disc brakes and the wonderful Brand 'F' 9" rear end ~ it really and truly is wonderful but don't go looking for one underneath any GM rig i ever own :rolleyes: .

BOW TIES 'TILL I DIE :D

18. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

I'm with you VNate.... I'm a firm believer if it don't say G-M it don't G-O! Don't get me wrong, I have owned many brands over the years, and I enjoy hot rods but, I have a thing for originality so there will be "NO F Stuff" under or in my Chevy, others can do as they like it is theirs and I will still like it.

19. BAM55

BAM55 Member

Looks like the truck is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work.

20. coilover

coilover Member

If you can keep a secret the Explorer rear end has ratios from the mid 2's to around 4.10 and looks just like a lot of Chevy and many others that had a Spicer type rear. Even has the #%&@ "C" clip rear axles and is narrow so wheels can be spaced to fit. The best part is it has the Corvette style rotor that has the brake drum inside it so the E-brake cables run out of the backing plate just like old cars/trucks did. Dallas Mustang had one in their 1500hp twin turbo drag car with big slicks and it gave no trouble. Of course it had a "C" clip eliminator kit. Dirt cheap at salvage yards.