Time for the "55"...

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by JIMnWV, Nov 23, 2011.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

As Usual ;

Another fabulous tip from Evan.....

2. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Hmmm interesting, might be cheaper than that 3:38-1 ring setup I was looking at. Thank you.

3. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Well as luck would have it, was going to get the axle seals installed and move on to other things but....wrong darn seals! Never fails. So the search continues. Maybe a positive update at a later date. At least the gasket came off smooth, I'll make up 2 new ones and have them ready.

Attached Files:

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bearings & Seals

Well ;

At least you have the old one with the correct P/N clearly visible.....

Take that to NAPA or any FLAPS and they'll look it up for you .

I buy lots and lots of seals and bearings onLine once I know what the correct P/N is .

I assume you know whomever installed that old seal ruined it by not using the correct tool ~ I find lots of bent up nearly new oil & grease seals in the old dead stuff I get stuck resurrecting .

5. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Found the proper seals of all places at Advance. Sad thing is they were clumsy at first but pulled through anyway, first set of sesls I ordered online with the new riveted brake shoes, their listing for my truck obviously is incorrect but, it's fixed now. Had the hog head out looking it over so it got cleaned, new pinion seal and remounted in the axle housing. New National axle seals, and axles all back together. Now onto the brakes......