Tail light and signal light wiring

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Tailgater, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

I have been looking at my wiring diagram info from CP and a critical peice is missing.
    It sounds like, on some turn signal units that the brake light runs through so that the signal can still blink while brakes are being applied. Mine does not have a wire for the brake in the turn signal unit. It just gets juice from the fuse box to the brake light switch then to the brake lights.
    My question is whether that is a problem?
    Another question is, and this is what is not in the diagram, how do you use the same bulb for tail lights and turn signals?
    I am sure this is simple but, if I don't have a diagram, I am lost.
    Thanks for your help,
    Bill

2. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

You will use dual filament bulbs for tail, stop, and turn signals. When I put new harness in my 54, turn signals did not work. Basically, they had you cut a wire to split rear lights and then a wire ran it seems from brake switch to turn signal switch. If I remember correctly, It was kind of a side bar on the instruction sheet.

3. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Thanks, Greg
    I'll try to find the other instructions. I should have them somewhere.
    Anyone else just in case?
    Bill

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Hey Bill, go to www.stovebolt.com and click on the tech tips and scroll down to the electrical section. There is a good write up by Charles Hardin about how he hooked up his that might help.

5. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Thanks, Ken, but, as usual, my old truck is different in that it has only 4 wires from the turn signal. It has a hot, a left, a right and a hazard. I don't quite know how to make the brake lights work in this config.
    Here is more info:
    Signal brand Grote 966-4
    There are 4 wires
    Red operates left side turns
    Green operates right side turns
    Yellow and black both go to the flasher.
    The flasher is a 2 prong.
    So, the CP wiring diagram shows only a power to the flasher and one wire back to the signal unit. Mine has one from power to the flasher but 2 back to the unit.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  6. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Picture of signal

Here is a photo from ebay tha tis identical to my signal switch.

Attached Files:

7. coilover

coilover Member

With 4 wires you can't run brake feed through T/S, you will need to get a 6 (or 7) wire unit or mount two seperate lights. Most units use the GM color coding which is: Lt blue-left front, Dk blue-right front, Yell-left rear, Green-right rear, white- brake light feed, and purple-power source. If a 4 way flasher unit the remaining wire is usually brown but not always. With the 6 wire unit you just need 3 wires running to the back, a brown for the tail lights and license light, a yellow for the left brake light AND t/s, a green for the right brake light AND t/s. As mentioned you need dual filament (#1157) bulbs. Hope this helps.

8. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Thanks, Evan.
    I reckon I am shopping for a Signal-stat or other unit that will accomodate the brake light wire.
    Bill

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yep , you need a Signal Stat Model # 900 switch , most NAPA stores carry them .

Watch out for the # 90X series as newer ones have a button in the end of the stalk to operate other things , looks bad IMO .

My , you scamps sure do talk a lot when I'm away ! :D I've had limited 'puter acess for the last week or so .

10. federale

federale Member

This may sound like shade tree mechanics to a lot of you guys,but I used separate lights in the roll pan AND two flashers on my truck.

11. Zig

Zig Member

Pictures of your pan???

12. federale

federale Member

If I can coax the old gal out of the garage in the next couple of days I'll post a pic Zig.:D

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Safer

No , it doesn't sound thata way atall .

It used to be a regular thing on older trucks when the ICC rules came in in the early 60's & we had to add turn signls to lots of old 2 ton farm trucks , adding a seperate system was the required thing and separating the brake lights away from the turn signals means better signaling of your intentions to the drunkard who's fast closing on your rear......

They make these neat little lights you can slide into the rolled ends of the pickup bed , using LED's in them makes for an extremely effective turn signal .

-Nate

14. federale

federale Member

Ok Zig,the camera wasn't cooperating,low battery,low flash LOL If you stare really hard you might get the idea.

Attached Files:

15. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Flasher connector To prong of not to prong?

I have a 2 prong flasher connector that has one wire off one of the slots going to the ammeter (hot). The other slot has two wires connected to it. On my old turn signal switch, one of the wires goes to the pilot and the other goes to the turn signal switch inside to supply juice to the right or left or hazard depending on the position of the switch.

I got a new Signal Stat 900 turn signal switch and it says to use a three slot flasher connector and a 3 prong flasher. All tha tis different is that the pilot wire comes off its own prong instead of coming off the same prong as the load. Since I have the two prong and can't easily find the 3 prong can I not go ahead and use it?
    Thanks,
    Bill

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  16. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks Federale! (although that was kinda like trying to read some of my students handwriting:) ) Do you have more pictures of your truck somewhere on here? Now I'm REALLY curious. It looks as if there is some interesting do-dads on your gate... Sure would like to see more photos, please!:D

Bill- I'm not helping you out here, I know. I'm up to my eyebrows in report cards and only have time to surf this page- and the Chiefs page of course...:rolleyes: I know you'll get it. It's like a puzzle. Eventually you get the right combination or burn up your truck! ...just kidding... My fingers are crossed for you. If you don't have it licked by the weekend, I'll check mine and see if I can tell you anything else to try. All the best!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  17. federale

federale Member

Better Pic?

Ok zig here's a better (hopefully) pic than I posted yesterday.And you'not kidding about burning up the truck Zig. At first I hooked the tail lights up to too small a wire and smelled smoke. LOL
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  18. Boopster

Boopster Member

roll lights

Have any of you fellows seen the LED lights that fit in the roll of the bed. They seem to look cool and would get the brake lights up in the eyesight of the person following too close.

Just wondered if anyone had experience with these?

TB'sD

19. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

I've seen them and they are definitely cool. Great place to put turn signal lights.

20. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I got mine from RB's Obsolete. Wired them in parallel with the rear lamps. Work good, but they take a really hard to find lamp. If I did it now, I'd use LEDs instead.