Greg's 50 Build

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Root2812, May 26, 2012.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Vin

Because the Police can take it away from you if it has no frame stamped VIN .

Back when your truck was made , the only valuable part was the engine so they titled them by the engine's serial number .

2. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Ok, so how or where do you go to have it stamped?

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Vin

YOU have to work that out as it's illegal to stamp your own VIN .

Kinda stupid right ? .

Lotsa folks just have the local trophy shop engrave it .

4. Root2812

Root2812 Member

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Speedo Cables

I only buy the steel ones .

If you lube it every decade or so with Graphite grease , it'll never wear out again .

6. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Yeah. Its only $9 difference anyway

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  7. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Are the running boards on a panel the same as on the truck?

8. Coneboy

Coneboy Member

If you have an extra left bedside without rust holes when you're done, I'm interested. Been looking all over for one of these rascals. :)

9. Root2812

Root2812 Member

I have a nice set I'm trying to sell right now. Both are nice and straight but if I remember right one of my box sides could use a new stake pocket. If that is the left one all you have to do is buy just a stake pocket and it spot welds on. So worse case you'd have to buy a stake pocket from our host for about $50. I have my spare parts in storage right now but I could get to them soon.

10. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Well this weekend I made progress but it was mostly distructive progress. I started by going to an old vehicle salvage yard and scoreing a spare tire mount for the side of my bed. Got it for only $20.
    [​IMG]

After that I stripped my parts truck down to find what I could sell to try and get a few bucks to buy parts with. It turns out the drivers front fender was in rough shape but the passenger one was pretty nice and the hood and inner fenders were solid. It was wierd that the cab was completely rotten but the bed and right front fender was solid and strait. Either way, Its all going on craigs list so I can get what I need to get my truck on the road. Here are some pictures of the parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its been slow going with the truck stored elsewhere but now the wife and I are finally looking to buy a place and it has a 3 stall garage so maybe I can bring my truck home soon. Until then its just going to be weekend work. Not this weekend but next is going to be carb rebuild weekend. :)

11. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Finally some progress. Nothing picture worthy but still progress. I got the scary loose stearing tightened up and all new brakes... All new as in everything from the master cylender to the shoes. I once I get the carb rebuilt i'll be golden to hit the road. I can make it run with the carb as is but its too gummed up to start without one guy under the hood and another in the cab. I'd just asoon start my truck by myself. :)

I've been selling alot of my extra parts so I should have money to send atleast the bed to the media blasters soon.

12. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Glad you're making progress! Keep the updates coming.

Damon

13. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

I can relate, Greg. My truck spent it's first 3 years either 30 or 250 miles away from me, so I can relate to the 'long distance love affair' issue... Progress goes much quicker once you both get to the same place. BTW, can you get another one of those spare tire mounts? My truck has the indention in the left rear fender, and I need the tire rack. Seriously, if it's something you can come up with send me a personal message so we can arrange something. Thanks.

14. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Bilbo,

I felt lucky to find that one but if I see another tire mount I will surely grab it and let you know. it's surprising how hard those seem to come by. Also thanks for the encouragement. My wife and I are getting really close to getting to where we can buy a house and then the truck is coming home. In the mean time a guy we have known for decades (professional restorer/body man) gave me a lead on the media blaster he uses and he says they do good work. So I think I'm going to have my new bed blasted and get that all painted up this winter. Then my truck will look half old and crappy an the other half new and shiny. ;)

15. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Truck shop now has a repro now.

16. ccharr

ccharr Member

17. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Well atlast something happened. I was able to get up north and work on my truck. I started by finally rebuilding my carb.

[​IMG]

There isn't a whole lot to report on the process but it looked good all cleaned up and installed.
    [​IMG]

I even cleaned up the air cleaner
    [​IMG]

Then I installed my new speedo cable and headed out on to the road. The drive went well. According to my GPS the speedo is only off 2-3 mph at all times and we had it running 60mph. 60 is pretty good for all stock everything. I wasn't over reving it, its just a bit faster because the tires I had to use are quite a bit taller than the stockers. All in all it was a good weekend. Here is a picture of my wife with the truck when we back from the cruise.
    [​IMG]

Sadly, after this picture I found that my rear main seal is leaking. I'm not too upset, these kinds of things happen. :)

18. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Man, I wish my truck looked that good when I first got it. It was somewhat rougher. It's coming along fairly well, though. Got the engine back running yesterday, after being dormant for 2 years. Here's a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Progress !

Nice truck , nice Wife , pooch etc.

I'm pleased you retained the Rochester Carby ID Tag ~ most " mechanics " are *so* lazy , they toss 'em out , they're very hard to find these days .

20. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Bilbo, that truck looks good. I like your AC install, it looks clean. I'd like to add AC someday.

Nate, keeping the ID tag was pretty important to me too. My dad owns a repair shop and sincemy truck was there I told him if he had any guys getting paid with nothing to do that they could build my carb. I told them definately keep the tag. I'm actually glad that they never got to it because it was kinda fun doing it myself. The way I look at it is that even if I don't keep the truck stock someone out there might be looking for that tag.